PDA

View Full Version : Adding GWS Floats to an Easystar - Instructions and Photos....

bugjam1999
02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Sooooooo...

You have a multiplex easystar and a spare ten dollars to buy a set of GWS floats? read on :)

The GWS kit comes with two cross pieces to hold the floats a certain distance apart and two uprights or landing-gear legs to attach to the plane. They're quite short, but as the easystar's propellor is above the fuselage this is pretty much perfect as it means the plane won't be too top heavy with the floats on it.

Ideally, the step of floats should be at or just behind the C of G, i assembled the floats separate from the plane, marked a point 1cm back from the C of G and then making sure the mouting legs on the floats were vertical, held the step of the floats in line with my mark and carefully marked where the mounting points should go on the bottom of the fuselage.

I then took the mounting plates off the top of the legs and using a brand new, very sharp scalpel blade, I cut out a piece from the bottom of the fuselage in the position of the front mounting point. Cut too little on purpose and enlarge the hole by cutting progressively along one side, you can always cut away more, gluing bits back would be annoying. Bear in mind you want this dead straight, so check and check again. I used foam CA to glue it into place. The mount is tall enough to protrude slightly into the cockpit, so remove anything in the way before you start this...

Once the front mount was in, I attached the floats to it with the rear mount on the rear leg, just to check where i'd marked the fuselage was still correct. I then carefully cut away the fuselage to mount the rear mounting point and glued it in place as the first...

I bought my floats second hand from someone who hadn't used them and only got one of the original mounts. The rear mount i made from a piece of hardwood bearer from my LHS, slotted with a dremel tool and then cut and sanded to mimic the shape of the easystar's fuselage.

Adding the floats takes about... a minute. There are four screws with the kit (two for each mounting point) which screw in and hold the legs from dropping out.

Thats it!

My easystar has the standard brushed 400 motor and nicad batteries meaning it's pretty heavy. It takes a long time to get the plane on step, making takes off runs pretty long. Mine can only manage about three take offs per battery pack, but with lipo batteries and a brushless, it'd be a lot easier as a)the plane will weight less and higher sit on the floats and b) there'll be more power!

After takeoff it flies pretty much exactly as standard, I didn't notice any major difference. The front mounting point can also be used for mounting wheels, should you want to...

Hope this is of use to someone... do post a pic if you add floats :)

bugjam1999
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
the one picture i've got of my easystar on the floats, on water...

BmacSWA
09-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Dude, THAT is awesome. How does it fly? I just put the same floats on a slow stick and I'm having a blast with it. It truly adds another dimension to flying. I'm so into it, I'm looking to add floats to a 60" nitro trainer.

Have Fun,
Brian

sglnichols
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Bugjam,
Did you attach the tail rudder to your model with regard to the floats? If not, did it fly ok without it?
Thanks for posting the pics,
Simon