PDA

View Full Version : Motor beeps

sinowace
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Out of curiosity, when setting up motors for braking, arming, etc. what makes the beeps that you hear. Example- when I am setting up my new motors the set up instructions say to listen for two or three beeps to indicate that the motor has been set up for braking, etc. What is in motor that you hear beep.

pilotpete2
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM
The ESC uses the motor as a crude loudspeaker:ws:
I wouldn't suggest hooking up a motor to a stereo amplifier though, the resistance of the motor coil is way too low for an amplifier output, almost a dead short:eek:, besides it would sound like sh!^:D
Pete

Glacier Girl
02-20-2008, 05:07 PM
You'd be surprised at what else a motor can do.
I was setting up one of my birds the other night using the programming card, and one of the options was songs.

Yep you can have your motor play songs, like "old susanna", and a couple of oriental ones. But it only seems to work if you have a bec equipt esc, the HV esc's won't do it.

Dr Kiwi
02-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Yes, "Ode to Joy" on an Electrifly ESC sounds good, but it sucks a significant amount of current and plays hell with the tracing on my v3 logger!

FresnoJay
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I use OEMRC and Turnigy brand esc's and they have like 12 different songs you can have it play at arm up. I messed with them the other day and most of them are just too dang long. Because keep in mind you plane does not arm till its done. A couple of them are almost 60 seconds long and yes pull a decent amount of juice to do it. I happened to have my power meter connected at the time I was doing it and wow.

Jason

timotsc
03-01-2008, 01:42 AM
This begs the Qn, can a brusless motor both power the model and make noises emulating full size aircraft for scale effect.
EG sound like a Rolls Royce Merlin in a Spitfire like aerosoundrc.com (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/aerosoundrc.com)

sureitwillfly
06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Ha Ha I have a el cheepo chineese melody 25amp speed contol when put in a built up plane with heat shrink covering it is loud as anything as it resonates through the plane .It also has 8 different meodies that you can program into it crazy as it was $20 new in New Zealand so about 10 bucks for you guys state side

Moxus
06-14-2008, 12:59 PM
No, forget using the motor as a loudspeaker. First, it would sound like crap, and secondly, it would waste humungous amounts of power for nothing.
The motor beeping thing should be seen as a couriosity, and don't try it for any other applications.

But another couriosity within the topic "singing engines" would be this. I really envy those guys who has programmed that fadec :D :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=51Wgd9uDCD4&feature=related

You need something called "throttle response" to do that, but its probably unheard of in the world of battleship engines known as "v8" :cool: