PDA

View Full Version : Banned IP address at RC Groups

ptglass
12-17-2005, 06:22 PM
I went to vist RC Groups yesterday and received a banner saying that my IP address has been banned. No explanation or anything else. There was a link to an administrator's email address, but after many emails using this link there was no return response.

I can't imagine what is going on here! I haven't done anything to warrant this "banning" and I would like to know how this happened, etc..

This just came out of nowhere and for no apparant reason. I have received no "warnings" or anything else of that nature.

I might imagine that someone made an abusive post using my ID, but they wouldn't have my Internet IP address.

I can't even get on the site to ask these questions and it's very frustrating! I am really upset and angry about this!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions?

If someone that is a member of RC Groups reads this, could you please have an administrator contact me and explain what is going on? My handle is: ptglass

Patrick

EpoweredRc
12-18-2005, 12:16 AM
I went to vist RC Groups yesterday and received a banner saying that my IP address has been banned. No explanation or anything else. There was a link to an administrator's email address, but after many emails using this link there was no return response.

I can't imagine what is going on here! I haven't done anything to warrant this "banning" and I would like to know how this happened, etc..

This just came out of nowhere and for no apparant reason. I have received no "warnings" or anything else of that nature.

I might imagine that someone made an abusive post using my ID, but they wouldn't have my Internet IP address.

I can't even get on the site to ask these questions and it's very frustrating! I am really upset and angry about this!!!

If someone that is a member of RC Groups reads this, could you please have an administrator contact me and explain what is going on? My handle is: ptglass

Patrick

Maybe someone with the same IP addy as you done something wrong and they banned him but also didn't realize you had the same IP addy. I own and run a web forum and a few of my members have the same IP addy even tho there not related to each other or don't even live in the same place. I don't quit understand how it is possible but it is. I hope they figure out what they have done and is fix it quickley.

ptglass
12-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll tell you, it is a complete mystery as to how this happened. It seems really strange to me that more than one person could have the same IP address, but if you say so, then I won't contradict you.

This is proving to be very difficult to correct. I contacted AnneMarie Cross and asked for her help in this matter and she replied that she would contact admin at RC Groups and have them contact me. She has a close association with RC Groups from the vendor side. I'm visiting my brother today and see if I can get on RCG website using his computer.

I can't believe how frustrating and aggravating this has been. I will not let this go until I get to the bottom of this fiasco - I am one very tenacious individual!

Patrick

EpoweredRc
12-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll tell you, it is a complete mystery as to how this happened. It seems really strange to me that more than one person could have the same IP address, but if you say so, then I won't contradict you.

This is proving to be very difficult to correct. I contacted AnneMarie Cross and asked for her help in this matter and she replied that she would contact admin at RC Groups and have them contact me. She has a close association with RC Groups from the vendor side. I'm visiting my brother today and see if I can get on RCG website using his computer.

I can't believe how frustrating and aggravating this has been. I will not let this go until I get to the bottom of this fiasco - I am one very tenacious individual!

Patrick

Its very strange to me also, But until last week when I had a problem with a member and I started going over IP addresses To find I have 3 members with the same IP #'s and two other members with the same , everyone else has a different one. if your using the same Internet service example:
AOL,bell south,net zero, etc. Then it is possible to have the same one.
I Really hope you figure it out.

Chris

Don Sims
12-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Patrick, as long as you're here, enjoy posting on this site!!!

qban_flyer
12-19-2005, 02:33 AM

Patrick

IP addresses are shared by many. There is no way anyone can post to any newsgroup or forum without having you password.

It's possible that they may have you confused with someone else and in the banning someone got careless and banned you as well.

I just logged in to see if it was a general failure of their system. It is not as I was able to log in without a hitch. :confused:

I'll copy your post here and forward it to one their administrators.

qban_flyer
12-19-2005, 02:49 AM
For the life of me, I could not find where to get in touch with any administrator at that site! :confused:

PT you have a PM from me on its way.

ptglass
12-19-2005, 03:26 AM
This whole thing is so bizzare. It has to be some kind of computer foul-up on their server. I visited my brother today and used his computer. I got right on using my ID and password - no ban for me. I posted a message for admin about my problem and asked them to send me an email.

So I am not banned, just my poor computer!!!!! Unbelievable!!!! I'm still getting the same message from my computer.

This is the message:
"vBulletin Message
Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here"

I am having a terrible time trying to get someone over there to listen to me and do something about this. Very frustrating indeed. At any rate, thanks for checking my profile.

Patrick

ptglass
12-19-2005, 07:25 AM
Finally, I got an admin to look into it and the problem is now solved. Admin message:

I looked into it, your IP was banned because you happen to have a dynamic IP address in the IP range used by one infamous troll of the past. Looks like at one point you were automatically given an IP address which was used by that person and was consequently banned.
I cleared the IP ban now, it certainly wasn't aimed at you, sorry for the collateral damage!

Don Sims
12-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike is great at taking care of issues over there. Glad he got it taken care of for you.

qban_flyer
12-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Finally, I got an admin to look into it and the problem is now solved. Admin message:

I looked into it, your IP was banned because you happen to have a dynamic IP address in the IP range used by one infamous troll of the past. Looks like at one point you were automatically given an IP address which was used by that person and was consequently banned.
I cleared the IP ban now, it certainly wasn't aimed at you, sorry for the collateral damage!
All's well that ends well.:)

Just as we thought. Somebody else sharing the same IP (accidentally or otherwise) caused you the grief.:o

I wonder who the offending troll may have been? :confused:

ptglass
12-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I have no idea who he was. I sent an email to the owner of RCG suggesting that they reconsider their policy of banning IP addresses in light of what happened to me. I pointed out that it will not keep the evil ones out, because they can simply use another computer or use a free proxy server. Actually, late last night, I used a free proxy server to get back on. It worked perfectly, just slow. I really hope they will change this policy, because I think it is ineffective and can harm an innocent member such as myself. I don't want anyone else to have to go through what I did.

Patrick

EpoweredRc
12-20-2005, 03:57 AM
glad you got it taken care of and it is heard to get anything taken care of there, I once had a RUDE person make very RUDE ADULT comments on my pictures and it took me contacting them about 3 times and a period over a week to get anything back from them and finally removed the posts.

glad you got it fixed.
Were also happy to have you on here though

qban_flyer
12-20-2005, 04:06 AM
I once had a RUDE person make very RUDE ADULT comments on my pictures and it took me contacting them about 3 times and a period over a week to get anything back from them and finally removed the posts.

glad you got it fixed.
Were also happy to have you on here though

I've never had any problems "there".

On the other hand I don't go "there" that often to begin with, but I have seen what some of the ones that have come here can and will do.

Some of them are nothing but R/C snobs, plain and simple.