PDA

View Full Version : TowerPro

meatball
12-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi, I recently (just now) smoked out a TowerPro 10AMP ESC when I connected it to power. It was ruled out as a defective ESC and the site I bought it from is replacing it. However, does anyone know where a definitive manual for these are? I did read the manual on the website, but it wasnt too clear.

I had it hooked to the motor (esskay) and then plugged in the battery (3000 mAH 6-cell NiMH I use for testing engines) and I couldnt get the ESC to power up the motor. No tones were heard from the ESC after plugging in power, with the throttle in full up and full off. However, I did hear the motor sing a 3 note song while the power was plugged in, and then I noticed one of the components in the ESC "blow-up" and the ESC filled with smoke :(

I read the manual on the website I got it from, turn on Tx, put full throttle on, plug in battery, wait for 4 beeps... beeps never came.

Also, I noticed the towerpro ESC's have an extra connector. The have the 3 motor connectors, 2 battery connectors, and the servo plugin, but it also has a two pin male power connector, similiar to those used on GWS systems.

Any comments or kind guidances? A manual thats clear (moreso then the website one) would be greatly appreciated.

qban_flyer
12-18-2005, 01:54 AM
That extra plug determines the type of battery to be used with it. :eek:

meatball
12-18-2005, 02:02 AM
huwah? The T-Bird ESC's dont have it... What do you do with it? The manual on the website I ordered it from mentioned absolutely nothing about it

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 02:23 AM
There is no manual for these TowerPro ESC's. They are simple. The extra plug you mention tells it what type of Lipo you are using. with a jumper connected (it should have come with one connected) means 2 cell lipo. The jumper removed is for 3 cell Lipo.

I have heard on other sites of these ESC's blowing up on first power-on. Seems to be a common problem.

HTH

meatball
12-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Wow, that makes a lot of sense, I noticed it had a cap on the jumper that connected the prongs. Thats a shame they have no manual, I would of never known that. Thanks a lot! By the way, if the brake was supposed to be on, (the motor wouldnt spin up) then why was the engine singing?

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 02:44 AM
Well I probably should have mentioned that the 8 of the TP 15-18A ESCs I have did come with a tiny slip of paper that shows the wiring diagram and jumper setting. Perhaps if I feel froggy I'll scan the silly little thing.

meatball
12-18-2005, 02:55 AM
so do you know why the motor was singing? It was a 3-note song, at about 100 beats per minute quarter notes when with rests inbetween. the brake is supposed to prevent any power from going to the engine. Was this just a defective unit?

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 03:00 AM
My TP ESCs all make a singing sound when powered on.

AFAIK the 'brake' function does not prevent power from going to the motor. It is supposed to cause the motor not to spin (windmilling) due to aerodynamics of the propeller while gliding. Also, I was not aware there was a brake feature on these ESCs. Can you point me to a relevant web site that details this?

meatball
12-18-2005, 03:10 AM
The ESC didnt beep or anything, only the motor.

the site I ordered a LiPo and the ESC off of, xushobby.com They have excellent prices which is why I went with them. I emailed them and they said they'd replace the ESC. By brake I meant safety lock (swapped terms, sorry), that you have to undo when you are first powering up. So when you have your throttle all the way down, your motor sings? this seems strange to me. anyways, heres the link to what the say about the ESC

http://www.xushobby.com/servlet/Detail?no=11

It says no where about the jumper, and I heard elsewhere it was 2S defualt so I thought a 6 cell would be fine in testing it. I couldnt get the ESC to do anything, beep, turn up the motor.

Also, if you look at the picture on xushobby, you'll see two yellow circuit pieces. The one that is the most southern, in between the two black pieces, is the one that shorted.

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Oh. Not brake. Just a simple power on safety measure. Almost every BL ESC I ever saw made some noise like that to indicate it was armed and ready. For example the TP ESCs I have make a beep when connected but not armed (as in if you had the TX stick off of the bottom) then make the small singing sound you hear when armed. Even the Castle ESCs sing when armed.

meatball
12-18-2005, 03:20 AM
It wasnt the ESC singing, it was the motor, does the ESC beep through the motor? When I had it running, all it did was beep at me constantly, it wouldnt respond to any throttle commands. When I tried spinning the prop, it make the sound twice as loud.

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Yes

qban_flyer
12-18-2005, 04:30 AM
The "musical" notes emanate from the motor, not the ESC. It's not just an exclusive quality of Tower Pro ESCs. All motors are caused to make those sounds by the ESC.

Some Beep, some play a few notes (?), while some others are quite ellaborate in their "musical" qualities. Kontronik set ups are well known for their "singing" abilities. :p

Twmaster is right when it comes to these Tower Pro ESCs. He is the only person I know that has as many of those ESCs in the entire Washington, DC area. :eek:

Morris
12-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Balsapr has a hookup guide that explains the jumper. It's not the same model, but I think most of these Chinese ESC's work the same.
http://www.balsapr.com/pdf/bp_esc_instructions.pdf

Morris

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
All 8 of the Chinese ESC's I have look like that one with the exception of the leads to the RX being a different color. Otherwise the components are all in the same places etc...

Twmaster
12-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Here is the image from the BP PDF. The connections are all the same as every one of these Chinese controllers I ever saw.

meatball
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
One last question, the cutoff voltage, it says 9 volts, I thought lipo's werent 'allowed' to go below 3.3 volts per cell?

Morris
12-18-2005, 07:21 PM
One last question, the cutoff voltage, it says 9 volts, I thought lipo's werent 'allowed' to go below 3.3 volts per cell?
I think the theory is 3V under load will be over 3.3V unloaded. Mine usually hits when I pull a vertical. The motor slows, I cut power and land. This is with a P10 which is programmed for soft cutoff. I have not had any problems yet.

Morris

draron
04-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Well I probably should have mentioned that the 8 of the TP 15-18A ESCs I have did come with a tiny slip of paper that shows the wiring diagram and jumper setting. Perhaps if I feel froggy I'll scan the silly little thing.

Can you please scan this and send it to me as i have this exact esc but have lost those instructions. Thanks in advance

flydiver
04-27-2008, 06:31 AM

Hoo Ha! Check some product literature. There are damn few you can get to do better than 3.1v/cell. A LOT are 3.0 and some real throwbacks are less (Electrifly). There are some real pitiful electronics out there disguised as bargains.

Saucerguy2
04-28-2008, 01:40 AM
10 amp esc hooked up to a 3000 mAH 6-cell NiMH, way too much pack for that esc, I'd go up to a minimum of 45 amp, even if you managed to get it working on the 10, the heat generated alone would fry it on it's first flight.

Kosh
04-28-2008, 02:11 AM
SaucerGuy, Your replying to something from 3 years ago that has little to do with the current question. Your knowledge on ESC's is questionable because theres nothing wrong with using that setup and similar applications are done all the time.

Saucerguy2
04-28-2008, 04:04 AM
My experience has shown me the larger packs are harder on the esc's, the mah level is what is in question here. I've fried them simply by hooking them up, too much power for them to handle, we don't know what the motor is going to be pulling kv ratings as well, but it's the fact of experience that has shown me to be safe rather then sorry.

I didn't look at the date, just saw it in today's posts.

Kosh
04-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Well I guess the brushed 10 amp ESC on my Slow Stick should have blown up when I fly with a 4200 2 cell pack then right?

Mah level has nothing to do with ESC's and they don't care if it 10 or 10,000 mah hooked to them. His unit smoked because it was defective and for no other reason, With early TowerPro units this was pretty common and they ether worked or smoked the first time a battery was plugged into them.