Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Axi 4130/16
Jeti 77 Opto
6v UBEC
TP 6S2P 4200 PL
APC 17X10E
Hitec Super Slim 8 RX
4 HS-5475HB Digital servos (Elevator servo mounted in the tail, Pull-Pull Rudder)
4-40 hardware for control linkages with Dubro Ball Links on servos
Tru-Turn custom cut spinner with lightened back plate

60" W/S
55 amps @ 1267 watts
AUW 6lbs 8oz of pure adrenaline rush http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
I cut holes in the side of the motor box and added cooling scoops to get extra air over my Jetti 77 and UBEC which were mounted in the scoops. I added a bottom air dam to direct the air directly over the two Thunder Power 3S2P Pro Light packs wires in series for a 6S2P set-up.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:23 AM
This plane comes with a two piece split elevator. I joined the two halves together using a 5mm carbon tube. Holes were drilled on the inside edges of the elevators leading edge to insert the tube. I lengthened the slot on the rear side slot for horizontal stabilizer for the tube to pass through.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I used clamps to hold the elevator halves level over night while the Gorilla Glue that I used for gluing in the carbon tube cured.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I slid the cowl back as far as possible so it left a lip that the front of the hatch would slide under to hold down the front of the hatch. Rare earth magnets were used for securing the rear of the hatch.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:47 AM
The factory wing bolt design is a real pain on this model. Nylon bolts are suppose to screw into the wing from the inside of the fuse, but there isn't much room to work with and you cant get to the head of the bolt to tighten once screwed in. I used a 4-40 bolt from the inside of the wing and drilled a hole in it to use a RC car body clip. It was real pain to get set up so the clip fits snugly and lined up, but now that its done, it makes wing installation a snap.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I had to build a battery tray and mount it where the fuel tank is supposed to be mounted. I used some 3/8" square hardwood to make mounting blocks to get the battery tray up high enough to clear the wing tube. The blocks were epoxied in place, and then the tray was screwed into the blocks. The tray was made from 1/16" light ply.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Hitec HS-5475 Digital servos were used all the way around. I used Dubro ball links, Dubro gold clevises, and 4-40 rod for the ailerons and elevator. I added a 1/8" piece of balsa sheeting in side the fuse to double the fuse sheeting for mounting the elevator servo to. Sullivan 4-40 Pull Pull and push rod exits were used for the rudder. I also used a Sullivan tail wheel set up.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Air exits were cut in the bottom of the fuse to keep the flow going.

Rugar
12-18-2005, 10:37 AM
This plane has unlimited vertical and will knife edge with no coupling period. This plane is a blast to fly and I would highly recommend it.

Mike Parsons
12-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Very nice Gerald! A clubmate converted one of these with the 4130. It flew well.

-Mike

Rugar
12-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks Mike.
I maidened it and put four flights on it, and flew as a guest last weekend at a friends club field. There are a few large electrics that fly there.

Yesterday I flew at my Club Field which is all gas and glow members except for 2 or 3 that also fly small park E/P's. All of these guys were just blown away by the performance of this plane. Even the Giant Scale guys came over to check it out after seeing it fly. I even had a few asking a lot of questions and say they never thought that a electric could perform like that, and would I be willing to help them put a E/P together cause they were sick of all the clean up and mess after flying. I think this may be the start of a new Electric craze at our club! :D

P.S. Mike, do you have any more of those 1KW decals left?

rcers
12-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Rugar - very nice. Great on the coupling too. Hard to find a "true" flyer like that! Nice to see someone did the design work before they release the plane!

Nearly 200w/lb I bet the glow guys were salivating!

Mike

Rugar
12-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Rugar - very nice. Great on the coupling too. Hard to find a "true" flyer like that! Nice to see someone did the design work before they release the plane!
Thanks Mike.

Nearly 200w/lb I bet the glow guys were salivating!

So much so that I could of opened a Dry Cleaning business at the field :D.
And its always fun carrying my electrics past the glow guys when I start packing up to head home as their getting out their cleaning supplies ;)

rcers
12-19-2005, 09:16 PM
I was flying with a buddy at the club field this last Friday. I brought two planes, he actually had two as well. One was a slimer. As we started that, listened to it howl and then saw the throttle response (3d ship) it did not make me want to go back.

I am ready for something larger however and that sure gets pricey.

I have got to figure out what plane I want! Something .40 sized I think...

Mike

Rugar
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
I am ready for something larger however and that sure gets pricey.

I have got to figure out what plane I want! Something .40 sized I think...

Mike

That's the only negative about electrics, the cost of the batteries. :o. I have two packs for this plane. One TP 6S2P 4200 Pro Lights, and a Max Amps 6S2P 4200 pack. That's over $500.00 for two packs :eek:. These larger planes really fly great, and I would love to go bigger, but I'm not willing to spend the price it takes for even larger packs. I'm afraid when I do go to a bigger plane, it will have to be gas :o. I'm really wanting a 33 or 35%.
A friend of mine just got a 33% that's he is going to electrify with a Bam motor. He said the battery was going to cost him $1500.00 :eek:. That's just nuts!

Devin McGrath
02-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Awesome build it looks great you do very nice work ! I am thinking about building one of these and will definitely be using some of you ideas thank you!

Rugar
02-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Awesome build it looks great you do very nice work ! I am thinking about building one of these and will definitely be using some of you ideas thank you!

Thanks Devin.
This is still my favorite plane. If anything was to happen to it, I wouldn't even have to think twice about getting another one.

skyrider
03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Could I run a setup like this using a 13-14 inch prop? The weight is very close to my Excelleron 50 (Pattern type, 5.5 - 6 lbs.) but I haven't much ground clearance. What would I have to change?

Skyrider

Rugar
03-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Could I run a setup like this using a 13-14 inch prop? The weight is very close to my Excelleron 50 (Pattern type, 5.5 - 6 lbs.) but I haven't much ground clearance. What would I have to change?

Skyrider
I would think that you would need at least a 15" prop. You might be better off using a Axi 4120 instead.

skyrider
03-02-2006, 02:01 AM
I would think that you would need at least a 15" prop. You might be better off using a Axi 4120 instead.
Thanks for the reply Rugar.

I have an ARF that I'm anxious to convert to electric power. It's a pattern type sold by Hobby People.
Descripton:
Sportsman Aviation EXCELLERON
Span 58 inches
Wing area 565 sq.in.
Weight ready to fly 5.5 - 6 pounds (with .50 2cycle or .70 4 cycle).

I've been building and flying model airplanes for 65 years, from H/L gliders to 1/3 Scale monsters, so I figured I'd have no trouble switching to electrics. WRONG! I've been reading various web-store sites and several electric forums and I can't seem to decide on the proper combination of motor, ESC and li-po battery.

I think that the AXI 4130-20, Hyperion 4025-12 or the Horizon Hobby Eflite Power 60 would fly this plane, but what ESC, battery and prop do I need. I have sufficient ground clearance for a 13.5 inch or maybe 14 inch prop. I looked at FMA direct's BalancePro HD LiPo battery and charger system which seems ideal. The 4000 6S2P pack looked like it would be enough power, and a 60 amp. ESC. I don't mind experimenting, but I need to know where to start.

Am I in the ballpark? It seems that the more I read the more uncertain I become. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Skyrider

Rugar
03-02-2006, 03:00 AM
It looks like your going to be limited by prop size unless you can go to a taller landing gear. The AUW will be more on E-Power then it would be on IC. With the 4130 you would need a Jeti 77 or a Phx 80 when using a 6S setup. The Phx 60 will only handle 45 amps on 6S.

Your best bet would be to call Hobby Lobby as they will help you figure out what the best set up would be.

skyrider
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks again Rugar, I'll try Hobby Lobby and I'll post the final setup when completed. I'm looking through my junk box for a taller landing gear.

Skyrider

cdallen
03-16-2006, 12:56 AM
It looks like your going to be limited by prop size unless you can go to a taller landing gear. The AUW will be more on E-Power then it would be on IC. With the 4130 you would need a Jeti 77 or a Phx 80 when using a 6S setup. The Phx 60 will only handle 45 amps on 6S.

Your best bet would be to call Hobby Lobby as they will help you figure out what the best set up would be.

The 60 is rated to 20 cells without bec which equals 6s. The battery at 15c (4000 mah)would deliver a constant 60 amps to the esc. The esc at 20 cells should handle 60 amps as advertised at Castle but....it puts it on the advertised limit. This can sometimes cause glitches and makes for a hot esc without lots of cooling. I run the 80 on mine with no problem. 4130/16 6s2p tanic 15-20 c 5000mah and a 16x10 lets go straight up prop.

booger
06-19-2006, 11:46 PM
well this is gonna be first attempt at a larger plane any tips for me

cdallen
06-20-2006, 02:35 AM
well this is gonna be first attempt at a larger plane any tips for me

If you have it rigged out right and keep it on low rates for the first flight... well your gonna be surprised how easy it is to fly. Bet you land it too fast. Take it off with very slight up elevator from the start and get it into the air at about 1/2 to 3/4 power, fairly prompt. Don't try running it down the runway until you get used to it.

Rugar
06-26-2006, 11:58 PM
I planted it in yesterday morning. It was 5 mins into the first flight of the day. I was just cruising around taking it easy and making laps breaking in a brand spanking new Tp Pack. It was hazy gray skies so I should have known not to let it get out to far away from me. I was getting bord and kept reminding myself to be gentle on the throttle with these new packs. I did a snap roll with the plane a ways out and must have over rotated. I ended up loosing orientation and no matter what I tried I couldn't pick up on top from bottom. I cut the throttle and she stalled and I couldn't recover because at this point I had no idea which way she was headed, and it was to close to the ground. It went down in a heavy growth of trees and thick brush on the far side of the flying field. It took me almost a hour to find. It ended up 20' up in a tree which took another half hour or so to get down.
Damage Report:
Both wings junk. (Half of left wing is still in the tree)
Wing spar broke off even with the right side of the fuse.
Top of Vertical Stab crushed.
Left elevator broke off at the counter balance.
Canopy ripped open.
Left side landing gear folded back and wheel pant split open.
Cowl crushed and caved in.
Firewall forward separated from the fuse including most of the firewall. Only thing holding it together was the UBEC and the ESC wires going to the RX.
I haven't pulled the canopy off yet, but the rudder pull pull cables are slack, and I can see by looking through the hole in the canopy that the servo tray is ripped loose inside the fuse.
I guess I have to look at the bright side though (if you can call it that). The tree cushioned the fall and non of my electrics appear to have suffered any damage, including the two new 3S2P packs that were still firmly strapped in place. I'm going to send all four of the HS-5475 servos, and the Hitec Super Slim RX to Hitec for a check up just to be on the safe side.

Out of all the planes I have ever lost, this is first time I have had a knot in my stomach that just wont seem to go away. I will be ordering a replacement kit soon.

Mike Parsons
06-27-2006, 12:19 AM
Oh that stinks Gerald. On the bright side...your grass looks GREAT!

firemanbill
06-27-2006, 12:32 AM
yeah ummmmmm... Nice grass:o

That really stinks... I feel for you Rugar. I bet the knot will take quite some time to go away

arrio
06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Wow... that really sucks.. sorry to see that. Almost nothing on the airframe looks salvageable. Get that replacement ordered soon!

booger
06-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Now that is exactly what I hope I don't do with this plane. Since it will be my first large plane above 50". Got most of the stuff haven't decided on what servos to use yet. I'm lacking servo's and battery packs. have the 4130 axi and a cc 80, and ubec.I don't want to use digital servos just standards what would be your recommendations.
Thanks for the Input guys
Rob
Oh and really sorry about the plane but the new one will be that much better.

cdallen
06-28-2006, 12:41 AM
Man I know how you feel. I trashed two by snapping the wings out of the socket. This third one is held in with lock washers. The others vibrated out. Should have known as they went in too easy and are hard to tighten with this set up. Took me two crashes to really figure it out. Happened both times on the second flight after good snaps. Screw got loose and I snapped the wings out of the socket.

Go build another one. Man I hate those crashes. If it isn't one thing its another.

Last crash I trashed 6 cells out of 12. Sent my Tanics back and Brian replaced the bad ones. Better than all new ones. Try that with other batteries.

Rugar
06-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys.
Well I got up this morning and after looking over the wreckage, told myself that all I had here was a pile of light ply and balsa, and not my plane. My plane is sitting on a self in a warehouse in Tenn. so I called Hobby-Lobby and told them to get it here ;). I'm going to strip all of my components out of this one tonight and get the servos and RX sent in for a check up. I'm hoping to have it ready for the So Cal Fly In on the 22nd of July. That is if Hitec gets my servos back to me in time.

PS. I cant take credit for the grass. The neighbor down the street does it for me. He works for the City and does the field at the stadium for our local Minor League Professional Baseball team. Our local stadium field is every bit as nice as Anaheim and Dodger Stadium.