PDA

View Full Version : Sailplanes and their power systems

Nathan
07-20-2005, 02:49 AM
The world of sailplanes is a whole different experience and the skills needed and used will be found here in this forum. Welcome sailplane flyers.

mark
07-24-2005, 02:25 AM
Well , lets see. I built my powered glider about 10 years ago and it has been hanging from my ceiling ever scince (except for a 5 sec flight on my front lawn).
It has come time to fly. My son's freind lives on a farm and told me I can crash it there:confused:
Can you tell me how to get at least 2 flights out of my investment.
hopin' for the best
Mark

Jason T
07-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Mark,

Welcome to Wattflyer!

Good luck with your glider and let us know how it goes. Just make sure you check all the control surfaces that they are moving in the right direction and do a range check.

Jason

mark
07-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Jason
Thanks for your reply,but I need more info.
Am I gonna crash this thing or what?
The last plane I flew was the line control type
when I was 12---looong time ago.
Can you give me some helpful hints.
Like I said I built this at least 10 years ago.
When I launch it there is going to be a lot of
my friends watching (the preasure is on--lol).
GLIDERS DO GLIDE RIGHT?
thanks
Mark

Jason T
07-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Mark,

Gliders should glide. :) Have you flown many R/C airplanes before? You mentioned control line but what R/C? What kind of glider is it? Wingspan, weight, battery and motor? I am just trying to get a feel for your experience.

Jason

mark
07-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Jason
I don't have any rc exp.
The glider has about a 6 1/2 foot wing span.
3 channel radio - one for the motor.
As for motor type and power I have no clue (but
I remember testing it and it was hard to hold onto
when it was at full power).
Do you think I have a chance?
I can use your help tring to avoid a stupid mistake.
I don't think I will be fliing until Sept.
thanks again
Mark

Jason T
07-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Mark,

Sounds like you may want to start off with more of a training model to get some RC experience. I would suggest maybe the GWS slowstick as a great 3 channel first model. It does not have ailerons but has elevator and rudder and is very easy to fly and learn the basic concepts. This model is relatively inexpensive to setup too.

Jason

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-29-2005, 01:25 AM
I would agree with that - for less than 150.00 you could have a ready to fly slowstick that is almost indestructable. Would be a great learning tool before tackling the glider.

Old_Dog
09-01-2005, 03:26 AM
A great way to teach yourself to fly R/C is with one of the computer based R/C simulators. They're pretty realistic. If you can land and take off in the simulator you're less likely to crash and burn your model.

If there is an R/C club in your area contact them about getting help. This will guarantee you'll solo witout destroying your model.