PDA

View Full Version : **** happens...

Low-Q
02-23-2008, 04:27 PM
This was mye Mini Pulse XT. Everything is OK except the plane...

http://lyd-interior.no/div/mini-pulse-xt.jpg

Angler-Hi
02-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Low-Q, I'm so sorry to hear that friend. Welcome to Wattflyer. Lots of good folks here bud. So, what happened?

Mike

firemanbill
02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Ouchie!!!:eek::(

Well at least everything is ok but the plane!:rolleyes::D

What happened? Besdides the obvious crash of course...

Low-Q
02-24-2008, 05:36 AM
I was flying towards me, at full speed, while I was taking a roll. In a good roll you use the rudder to keep the nose up. However, I used the rudder, but thought incorrectly about the direction, so the nose pointet downwards. The plane didn't crash then. I completed the roll, but the altitude was too low to save the plane from a bunch of tall pine trees at the end of the sport field.

So the plane, well the wings and the landing gear - not the fusalage, did hit a massive Y-bough - not even the propeller breaked off. The fusalage then continued alone towards the ground which was quite soft.

The reason why the fusalage is broken, is probably because the wings on the tail did hit the Y-bough and teared off the back half of it.

The motor, propeller, servos, receiver, battery, even the aileron servos on the wing, didn't have one single scratch. So that was everything BUT the plane...

I was not very sad, but I bursted out laughing when I was thinking of the old Walt Disney cartoon, where Goofy had made a plane which he was powering by a big Y-catapult - the wigs fell off, while Goofy and the fusalage continued...:D

Br.

Vidar

firemanbill
02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Well sounds like you have a great attitude about it, that's good!:D

Good that all your electronics survived. That will sure help outfit a new airframe!

Angler-Hi
02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Well you can always build another one for $99.00:)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFL2375

With the crash aside, how did she fly? I was actually looking at the PNP version before I saw your thread. You crash didn't sound like a flight characteristic flaw of the plane, but rather misorientation....Sorry about that BTW:{ Well, let us know how your next build goes friend.

Mike

gfdengine204
02-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Low-Q,

Sorry for your loss. Hope you can replace it quickly.

Welcome to Wattflyer.

Low-Q
02-24-2008, 04:23 PM
@mikewratterman:
This plane flies very well. Stable and fast. It is great for pattern flight, but also very fast if a big engine is used - pylon-like flying. I have measured it to approx 100mph+, but in that speed the plane does not behave very well, but good enough to fly - extreme vertical at least. "Swosh" - then it's gone in the sky:D

@gfdengine204:
Thank you for welcoming me:). I have considered to buy a bigger version, named Pulse XT (Not Mini Pulse XT). I loved the properties of the Mini, so I will expect it will be even better on a bigger version.

I have just putted an AXI 2814/12 with 3 blade 11 x 7 propeller on my Brio 10. So this is the plane I use mostly now. If you look closely I have attached OHP on the wings to cover the ditch between aileron and the wing. This reduced the drag quite much when flying fast, and it seems it floats better on the air when I fly very slow - next to stall turn speed.

Br.

Vidar

FlyingMonkey
02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
@mikewratterman:
This plane flies very well. Stable and fast. It is great for pattern flight, but also very fast if a big engine is used - pylon-like flying. I have measured it to approx 100mph+,

If you can verify it, you would be eligible for the 100 mph+ club

Low-Q
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM
If you can verify it, you would be eligible for the 100 mph+ club
The Mini Pulse plane is VERY damaged, so I'm afraid I cannot replicate this, but I used the doppler shift and a good ear to find the number of semotones (approx 5) and a calculator to determind the speed. However, I think my Brio 10 is able to go beyond 100mph too with the engine and propeller I use now.
How do I verify this?

Well I can make a video so it should be possible to calculate speed using its sound. I need at least 5 semitones (103mph).
Any suggestions are welcome:) (I have no radar or laser equipment)

EDIT: Where can I find this club?

Br.

Vidar

FlyingMonkey
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
The Mini Pulse plane is VERY damaged, so I'm afraid I cannot replicate this, but I used the doppler shift and a good ear to find the number of semotones (approx 5) and a calculator to determind the speed. However, I think my Brio 10 is able to go beyond 100mph too with the engine and propeller I use now.
How do I verify this?

Well I can make a video so it should be possible to calculate speed using its sound. I need at least 5 semitones (103mph).
Any suggestions are welcome:) (I have no radar or laser equipment)

Br.

Vidar

They do it with doppler all the time. Take a video and submit it.

These guys can tell you more about it...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/awards.php?award_cat_id=6