PDA

View Full Version : SS Crash

Kosh
02-25-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Humor Forum but my Slow Stick crashed today and of course it was all my fault. :red:

I was testing out a small 1800kv outrunner with a 3 bladed GWS 8x4 HD prop on the front of a SS because I plan on using a pair with counter roting props on a Twin Star soon. It was total overkill power wise for a SS but lots of fun in 10 mph winds. This was my 3rd fight and I could almost hover it at less than half power in the wind. Sounds good so far I bet. :D

Theres was one small detail I over looked when I installed the motor, There was nothing holding it on the fuse other than it being pushed on the fuse. In my flights I never pushed it hard so didn't have a problem until someone said lets see what it can do. :rolleyes:

I brought the plane around at 10' and pointed it up and started to climb giving it more power. At 20' I gave it full power and watched as the motor climbed to 100' without the plane behind it. Most impressive !!!

The SS nose stuck in some soft grass with the motor coming down 40' away. There was zero damage other than 3" of dirt inside the fiberglass fuse of the SS and the motor survived to fly again. There was lots of WOWs and that was so cool along with the "Hey can you do that again so I can get it video" :p

I'm sorry to say the thought did cross my mind to slap the motor back on and go for broke but I like my yellow SS to much for that. So heres what I learned today and I'm passing it on because its a easy mistake to make yourself. The simple things get over looked and because it should have been so easy I just forgot to add a screw.

Will I make the same mistake again? Could be but I just don't see me topping this for a few weeks. :D

Kosh

firemanbill
02-25-2008, 02:45 AM
LOL... that is funny right there!

I can just imagine the look on your face as the motor and plane are headed in opposite directions!:Q

Airhead
02-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Wow Kosh,
Such a day you've had... At least your yellow SS will be able to fly again, From what you say, even with the same motor that tried to run away... ::o
Glad you got the little rascal back.. ;)

CHELLIE
02-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Do It Again, We Need Video of that :D Ok Just Kidding, Glad nothing was hurt, Take care, Chellie

this is one of my favorite SS crashes that I found on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssO6uCFPxHw

Airhead
02-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Do It Again, We Need Video of that :D Ok Just Kidding, Glad nothing was hurt, Take care, Chellie

this is one of my favorite SS crashes that I found on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssO6uCFPxHw
::oDo it AGAIN....:eek: oh no.. not again....

Airhead
02-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Hey Chellie,
I'm glad everyone ended up laughing at that SS crash. It did look pretty funny from my house...:Q

Kosh
02-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Mine was just as acrobatic without a motor when the CG changed so fast. Good one Chellie, Thanks :ws:

flydiver
02-25-2008, 05:21 AM
Did the same thing last summer but not as dramatic. It was flying on the other side of the grass field by the road when it looked like the prop came off but didn't act that way. I was all weird. In a panic I ran all the way around since the field is so muddy and rutted. The SS was smoking in the grass and the wires were wrapped up everywhere. I'd forgotten to turn off the throttle in my haste. Sure smoked that motor, all because I forgot to put that tiny screw back in.

carlo da hand
02-26-2008, 06:51 AM
just when you think shes flying well,how gutted were you ,glad it was in the air when it happen,the almost same thing happ to me a weel ago with my m8s cessna'''it was in my hand and just about to throw it into the wind and ....!!!!!the prop hit my hand:eek:,lucky for me garry had just put the power on,that was close,is your plane going to fly again,(hope so) good luck m8..:roll: