PDA

View Full Version : Aircadkits Piper Cherokee PA 28

jonnyjetprop
12-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I just finnished this kit and I have to wow! I first ran into owner of Aircadkits in Atlanta at a fun fly/bbq. I was turned on to a blue fff version of the Beechcraft C-99 airliner. The construction is a 3d fuse and undercambered wings formed by bending the sheet wings.

I saw the ad for the Piper on rcgroups and thought it looked nice. The topper was that I've owned a Cherokee in the past.

The kit itself is depron cut with a router.

Here's a picture of the kit.

John

http://www.aircadkits.com

jonnyjetprop
12-20-2005, 12:35 PM
The kit went together quickly. I used foam safe CA all around. The kit is setup to use a stick type mount. I used an AXI 2212/34 motor, so I fabricated a small 1/8 ply firewall and just glued it into place. I should note that the kit comes with some nice vinal grafics, but I elected to paint the plane to match the plane I owned. Once I have some N numbers made, it will be complete. Here are some construction photos that I took.

John

jonnyjetprop
12-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Here are some more photos.

John

jonnyjetprop
12-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Here's the final plane ready for todays maiden flight. It weighs 13 oz. ready to fly. I'm using an AXI 2212/34 motor, a Castle Creations Phoenix 10 esc, a Thunder Power 3s 1320 prolite pack, an elecron 6 receiver and a mix of Hitec HS-55 and GWS pico servos.

I'll let you folks know how the maiden goes.

John

Mike Parsons
12-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Looks great John. Glenn does some good work. I have had the pleasure of maidening a lot of his earlier work. I think he is flying with us this Friday as a matter of fact. Ill mention this thread to him.

-Mike

tone
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Looks great John,
I agree, it does go together super easy and the parts fit perfectly.
Mine is blue. I used a tower pro (BP21 type) outrunner on a gws stick mount. This thing flies great, as good as my trusty old e-starter did and i loved that plane. I learned rolling circles with it. This one does them almost as well (it IS undercambered after all) goes inverted well, and looks very good in the air.
I am certain you are gonna like this model.

Mike Parsons
12-21-2005, 09:23 PM
I didnt know you had one Tony.

jonnyjetprop
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
I've flown the plane twice. It flew nicely off the board. I can't really comment on the flights as the weather was too gusty (12-15 mph) but it sure looked nice cruising around.

John

AirCAD
12-25-2005, 12:46 AM
I've flown the plane twice. It flew nicely off the board. I can't really comment on the flights as the weather was too gusty (12-15 mph) but it sure looked nice cruising around.

John

John,

Glad to see this thread and the build pics. I flew mine the other evening and she did great. I will be upgrading to the `BP-21' outrunner as Tone did. Very quiet and faster......

Thanks!

Glenn

Bill G
12-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Very nice. I built this Herr a while ago, with an Astro 020 cobalt. Had to make some firewall repairs, due to improper cg on the first flight. Lucky not to destroy it, as it was unflyable with the cg off. Good flyer now, with no damage showing. Taking off on 3 wheels, with nose steer is fun too.

tone
12-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah Mike, i haven't flown it as much as i'd like, what with one of my Eclipse trannys going down, but it goes together in a snap and flies just great.
Plus, in the air it looks a lot like the Piper it is modeled from.
It does much better than any other undercambered wing model i have flown yet.