PDA

View Full Version : Ok ... which one of you was at the sticks?

Gnascher
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.airliners.net/uf/536882887/phpOltUWB.jpg

FlyingMonkey
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
just glad that I wasn't a passenger on that flight.

Gnascher
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I just found a video of this. If you thought the picture was scary ... look at this!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185&p=1

pburt1975
03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I just found a video of this. If you thought the picture was scary ... look at this!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185&p=1

HOLY COW, thats huge jet to be doing a "Touch-n-go" with. Must have been a crazy cross wind that day

birdDog
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Just saw it on the six o'clock news. ::o Pilot says they had a "good jet" 100+mph crosswinds! He deserves a medal.

pd1
03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Just saw it on the six o'clock news. ::o Pilot says they had a "good jet" 100+mph crosswinds! He deserves a medal.

I respectfully have to disagree.

All airplanes manufactured in the last 30 years have a published max demonstrated crosswind.
Included in the operation manual is also a cross wind component chart.

Anyone that tries to land an airplane in a crosswind that exceeds the max demonstrated component is reckless.
To do it with an airliner with a crosswind of more than twice the airplanes capability is grossly negligent.

I think that pilot will probably lose his job and possibly his certificate for just attempting the landing.

The charts are there for a reason.

offtom
03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
It was still a good recovery though. I was impressed.

FlyWheel
03-04-2008, 01:44 AM
This is one of the reasons "they" always tell you to land facing the wind!:eek::D

Riverman
03-04-2008, 02:29 AM
I respectfully have to disagree.

All airplanes manufactured in the last 30 years have a published max demonstrated crosswind.
Included in the operation manual is also a cross wind component chart.

Anyone that tries to land an airplane in a crosswind that exceeds the max demonstrated component is reckless.
To do it with an airliner with a crosswind of more than twice the airplanes capability is grossly negligent.

I think that pilot will probably lose his job and possibly his certificate for just attempting the landing.

The charts are there for a reason.

I couldn't agree more!

When the news reported that he did a go around and attempted the landing again it angered me even more.

CHELLIE
03-04-2008, 04:26 AM
That was fool Hardish of that pilot to try to land in that crosswind, he should have flew to a near by airport that did not have strong cross winds, better to be delayed than dead, that pilot Deserves to lose his license, and to go to Jail for Gross Negligence, Chellie

Neko
03-04-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm no expert on this incident, but I've read some. The pilot was given clearance to land and the average wind speed was something like 30 knots, well within the tolerance of the plane. I think they had the bad luck to get hit with a very strong gust at the wrong moment.

When they finally landed, they did so without problems on a runway that was perpendicular to this one, heading into the wind. The reason they didn't use that runway in the first place is that it is not as well equipped with instrument-landing guidance beams.

There is an investigation ongoing, but it may not actually be the pilots' fault. In any case, the crabbing in the video prior to wheels touching was absolutely thrilling to see. That sucker is landing at 150 mph or thereabouts, and that angle was HIGH.

Slowjohn
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I think it'd be interesting to hear what he was being told to do by the Air Traffic Controller. I realize that ultimately the decision to land is up to the pilot but they depend on what information their given by the Controllers and they are told which runway to use so...
I think there is still more to learn yet as to why that happened. However I think the pilot did one heck of a job saving the plane and his passengers.

SJ

pd1
03-04-2008, 01:23 PM
When a controller assigns a runway, the pilot is not compelled to use that runway.
He can refuse a clearance.
He can request another runway, and he will get it.

The gust did not just hit as he was touching down, it hit before the touchdown.
At that point he should have initiated a go around.
He should not have continued the approach.
While some runways do have instrument landing systems.

Most landings are done without these.

Many time at larger airports you do an ILS for a runway and then you do a side step to parallel runway, or circling to a runway of a different heading.

The pilot in this case exercise extremely poor judgment in continuing a bad approach to a bad touchdown.

firemanbill
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
When a controller assigns a runway, the pilot is not compelled to use that runway.
He can refuse a clearance.
He can request another runway, and he will get it.

The gust did not just hit as he was touching down, it hit before the touchdown.
At that point he should have initiated a go around.
He should not have continued the approach.
While some runways do have instrument landing systems.

Most landings are done without these.

Many time at larger airports you do an ILS for a runway and then you do a side step to parallel runway, or circling to a runway of a different heading.

The pilot in this case exercise extremely poor judgment in continuing a bad approach to a bad touchdown.

... and dang near killed everyone on that plane. I agree PD, he (or she)never should have attempted the landing.

pburt1975
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I agree with all that seriousness, but that was still a pretty cool thing to see. No offense to passengers onboard tho.
I wonder if the gift shop had a sale on underwear that day?

firemanbill
03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
They should have if they didn't. If you are flying as a passenger on an airliner it's never a good thing to be able to look down the runway as you're landing!:eek:

I bet the pucker factor was way up there for a lot of folks that day!

That landing looks very similar to most of mine with my Super Airliner! Even scraped the wing or time or two myself!:o

pburt1975
03-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I bet the pucker factor was way up there for a lot of folks that day!

That landing looks very similar to most of mine with my Super Airliner! Even scraped the wing or time or two myself!:o

Lol, same pucker factor there I'll bet!

firemanbill
03-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Lol, same pucker factor there I'll bet!

YES it is!:Q

pd1
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
The superior pilot uses his superior knowledge to keep him out of situations that would require his superior skill.

Paul

shotgunsmitty
03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
This is one of the reasons "they" always tell you to land facing the wind!:eek::D
But my runways are never that WIDE!!! :D