PDA

View Full Version : I'm so excited... T-rex 450SE V2

HeliG
03-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger. I had been frustrated with the helis for a while but there was this pull that kept me coming back and wanting to get back into flying.
Here's what I bought (and waiting for to arrive).

T-rex 450SE V2 with lots of extra parts - because I'll need them
DX7
Ar6100
3x HG-65MG
S9650
GY401
extra FlightPower battery
BC6 with balance connectors for FlightPower and Align
Swashplate leveler
Align hex Screwdriver set
Align ball link pliers
G-Force tx balancer

I'll be spending lots of time with Finless vids and learning the heli and tx. And then I'll be playing by Radd's rules.

If you have any advice, I'd be glad to hear it. Oh, and if you think of specific parts I should have that I'll break first, please let me know. I'd rather buy some more spares than be flying for 10 minutes and be grounded for a few days waiting for more!!!! :D

Warren.

theecoop
03-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Great ,very happy for you. I could get you the dx 7 setting I use. if you don't already have a list. only two things i have had to buy was blades and a new main gear the oneway bearing was bad, might want a ball link sizing tool if you don't have one.

HeliG
03-08-2008, 07:37 PM
theecoop,
That would be great. I haven't looked at finless' vid for set up yet but I would love to get your settings. And what sizing tool do you use?

While I'm at it, I want to put a plug in for RCHover.com. I ordered the last of my stuff from them and it was first to arrive. They also helped me over the phone a LOT. Great customer service, great pricing (package deals), and unbelievably fast shipping.

HeliG
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Oops. Forgot something... Finless speaks very highly of Gorilla gear. What experiences does everyone have?
Thx.

theecoop
03-08-2008, 08:37 PM
I bought the gorilla gear and highly recommend it. they are awwsome.
Here is my setup .I will show in setions from all settings in each screen.

D/R & EXP pos-0
AILE
EXP LIN
D/R 100%

[AUTO D/R EXP]
NORM INH
ST-1 INH
ST-2 INH
HOLD INH

[REVERSING SW]
AILE
CH 1 NORM
CH 2 REV
CH 3 NORM
CH 4 REV
CH 5 NORM
CH 6 NORM
CH 7 REV

[SUB TRIM]
THRO 0
AILE L2
ELEV U11
RUDD 0

[TRAVEL ADJUST]
THRO H 100%
L 100%
AILE L 100%
R 100%
ELEV D 100%
U 100%
RUDD L 100%
R 100%

[SWASH MIX]
3 servos

120deg
EXP INT
AILE -50%
ELEV -50%
PIT -50%

[THRO HOLD] off

HOLD POS. -5.0%
SW: RUDD D/R

[THRO CURVE]

NORM
POINT-L 0.0
POINT-1 INT
POINT-2 65%
POINT-3 80%
POINT-H 100%

[THRO CURVE]

ST-1
EXP OFF
POINT-L 100%
POINT-1 INT
POINT-2 80%
POINT-3 INT
POINT-H 100%

Will not show ST-2 (I dont use yet)

[PITCH CURVE]

NORM

EXP OFF
POINT-L 20% (so if I cut throttle to quick,I dont slam it into ground)
POINT-1 INT
POINT-2 50%
POINT-3 INT
POINT-H 100%

[PITCH CURVE]

ST-1
EXP OFF
POINT-L 0.0%
POINT-1 INT
POINT-2 50%
POINT-3 INT
POINT-H 100%

Will not show ST-2 (I dont use yet)

[PITCH CURVE]

HOLD
EXP OFF
POINT-L 0.0%
POINT-1 INT
POINT-2 50%
POINT-3 INT
POINT-H 100%

[REVO MIX]
NORM UP 0%
DN 0%
STNT UP 0%
DN 0%

[PROG.MIX1]
INT

[PROG.MIX2]
INT

[PROG.MIX3]
INT

[TIMER]
MODEL 1
INT

Hope this helps

HeliG
03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
???

Do you think you could interpret some of this for me? I know that I could probably just set the tx with these settings but I sure would like to know what they are and why I'm doing it. ????

theecoop
03-08-2008, 11:56 PM
The Travel Adjust function allows the precise end point adjustments of all seven channels in each direction
independently. The travel adjust range (servo movement)is from 0–150%.

The Throttle Hold function is used to practice autorotation and is often use as a safety switch for electric
helicopters, holding the throttle in the off position. When the throttle hold switch is activated, the throttle hold
function holds the throttle servo/ ESC in a specific position (normally low or off throttle) while all other servos
function normally. The throttle hold switch is also selectable. Switch selection options include rudd D/R, gear,
AUX2, aileron D/R or elevator D/R.

EXP off or on
individual throttle curves are selectable to be either straight (linear) or curved
(exponential).
With the exponential function ON, you will notice that any “sharp” angles of the throttle
curve will become more “rounded” or “smooth,” creating a smooth throttle servo movement during the entire
throttle curve range.

pitch curve settings each can be activated in flight using the three-position flight mode and throttle hold switches.

while the flight mode is in the N, or Normal, position, and its function is to shift the center point (#2) of the curve either
upward or downward to adjust pitch at the hover position.

Note: When setting pitch curve for throttle hold, it is necessary for the throttle hold to be active
— if this function is inhibited, the throttle hold pitch curve will not be visible on the screen.

The Revolution Mixing Function mixes tail rotor input with the Throttle/Collective function to counteract torque
from the main rotor blades.

Manual Gyro Sensitivity Adjustment allows the pilot to select from two different gyro sensitivities during all flight
conditions. This function is activated in conjunction with the rudder dual rate switch.
The Automatic Gyro Sensitivity Adjustment feature allows the pilot to automatically alter the sensitivity of
the gyro from either of two pre-determined settings through the use of the flight mode switch. As different
flight modes are selected (Normal, 1, 2, Hold), the Gyro’s sensitivity rate will switch to the pre-determined
compensation rate for each particular flight mode in use.

Down Timer- The countdown timer allows a preset time in ten-second intervals up to 59 minutes and 50
seconds to be programmed and when that time expires a beeper will sound for 10 seconds.

Stopwatch- The stopwatch function is a simple count-up timer that that displays minutes and seconds up to 59
minutes and 59 seconds.

When the Down-T or Stop-W function is selected, the timer will be displayed on the main screen. The
following buttons are used in conjunction to operate the timer function:

Moswt of this infor was pulled from the manual to make sure clearer definitions were stated.

HeliG
03-10-2008, 04:21 AM
theecoop,
Did you get this info from the HeliFreak site? In the Finless section, a guy shows how to do the DX7 set up. I'm wondering if this is the same (if it is, I can follow the vid for setup which is good for a step by step guy like myself).

theecoop
03-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I got the details from the spektumDX7 manual and the setup readings is how i have mine set.

HeliG
03-10-2008, 05:31 AM
I got the details from the spektumDX7 manual and the setup readings is how i have mine set.
Thanks so much for the help. I'm so excited to get the heli!

HeliG
03-17-2008, 05:55 AM
theecoop,
Whebn I got my heli, it came with a couple sets of gear. One set has the receiver tube holes in the bottom (different than the Align bump resistant). Anyway, my question is this; How will I know if landing gear is gorilla gear?

theecoop
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
I believe by the color, and have antenna holes on both sides. Would actually have to go back to sight to check, mine are a neon yellowish color. I grab them and can stretch them with ease. I tested mine also before I put them on by stretching them to almost flat position. I help them back just a bit, but naturally they were coming back on their own slowly.

this sight has images that may help identify.(they noted that gorilagear has rounded corners )
http://www.helihobby.com/html/t-rex_micro_heli.html

brnyrbbl
03-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I second the gorilla gear. Indescructable and since they are flexible, if you slam it down a bit hard it doesn't get the nasty bounce (and possible tip-over) you get with stiff gear. Another cool product is the "programmable paddles" from gorilla gear. It has a removable weight in the paddle itself so you dont have to remove the paddles to get the set screw style weight off. You just use a paper clip to slide the weight out. (you don't use the align style weight). I hope you have as much fun with your Rex as I did. If you are anything like me, just spooling it up gives you an adrenaline rush! (P.S. My Gorilla gear is black. One way to tell is like thecoop suggested. They are highly flexible allowing you to push down on them until they are flat and they will return to normal on their own. The stock gear is made of a type of nylon that is stiff and if you push down on them they won't flex much without alot of effort and most likely will break.)

Crash Test Dummy
03-19-2008, 06:07 AM
My T-Rex is finally built and ready to go. Next on the list is programing the transmitter. I can't wait to get mine in the air. HeliG, when do you think you will maiden yours?? I'm still waiting for fresh batteries to fly mine. I may still be a week or so away. I wish I had more RC time, oh well.

CTD

HeliG
03-19-2008, 06:17 AM
CTD,
I'm close. I programmed the tx/rx today. I also programmed the ESC. I have the head on and am almost done but I'm struggling with the see-saw. If you look at my post today I'm looking for a little help. To level my see-saw, the control rods will be different lengths. I'm not sure if that's ok or not but that's the way I'm headed. Any thoughts?
After that, I have to finish the CCPM, balance the blades and away I go!!!

Crash Test Dummy
03-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Sounds like you are going in the rite direction. This is my 1st Heli, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. Do you have any flight time on any helis? I have been flogging Helis on the sim for about 4 or 5 months but I have only hovered my buddys MX 450 about 10 or 12 times. I can do quite a few tricks on the sim but I thing I'll be more careful with the real thing,LOL!! There isn't a reset button on my T-Rex, LOL!!

CTD

HeliG
03-19-2008, 06:33 AM
I've used the CX2 a lot (but that doesn't really count). And I have a CP Pro that I put a little time into.

The 450 SE V2 is really my first heli. I tend to be a quick learner except when my wife is trying to fix me. :D

That being said, I don't have any expectations on how I'm going to do (other than buy extra parts).