PDA

View Full Version : LONG_EZ nitro/electric conversion

bobzilla
12-21-2005, 07:31 PM
This is my first 46 size conversion, a LONG-EZ canard plane to electric.
I used the new E-FLIGHT 46, Phonix 60, and thunder 4200 lipos. This was a way easy conversion, only having to make some custom standoff for motor.
The plane actually balances out better with electric as you don't have to
add the supplied lead weight that was supplied with the arf. Here are some pics. First flight coming Christmas day.

rcers
12-21-2005, 07:52 PM
I like it, keep us updated. How do you get cooling air to the motor?

Mike

bobzilla
12-21-2005, 08:08 PM
The openings in front point right to motor and exit out the side bulges..see pics.
The esc is mounted where fuel tank would be and the 1" hold provides additional air over it.
Can't wait to get her/him/it in the air.
Happy Holidays.
Bobz
www.theultimategamer.net (http://www.theultimategamer.net)

visit my carnage web site with over 1000 rc planes.

rcers
12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Great conversion! Let us know how it performs.

Mike

Mike Parsons
12-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Very cool! :)

Don Sims
12-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Great looking plane Bon. How about some more details? Weight, wingspan ect??

bobzilla
12-22-2005, 06:38 AM
The LONG_EZ is sold by RAiden Tech Inc. I picked up the plane for $119 (List is $299). The arf has terrible pictures for instructions, missing important info, and completely lacking in other areas, but any average builder can figure it out. (My biggest complaint with the arf is the inadequate plastic bolts used to hold on the wings after you slide on the tube...they failed to put in any anti-rotation pins on the wing as it twists easy. Adding a pair of pins is easy after you measure and adjust for correct incidence. Here are the specs on plane:

Specs: Wing Span 57 inches – 1450 mm
Weight – 5 ¾ lbs. – 91 oz approx. (this is dry weight without any motor)
Fuse length – 39 inches
Wing area – 589 sq. in.
Engine suggested - .40 - .46 (2-cycle) .52 (4 cycle) (the manual suggest a .60 2cycle)
4 Channel radio – 5 servo’s.

The plane has removable main wings. Front nose wheel stearing via servo.
Item not required for electric conversion include thus reducing weight are:

Nitro motor
muffler
motor mount
fuel tank and lines
battery for receiver (Phoenix has BEC)
throttle servo and connection

I rate the arf as a 7 compared to other arf's I have built.
I expect to fly this plane VERY FAST, so of course everything is done to prevent flutter.and streamline the plane. I'm also hoping the landing be uneventful!

If any one has a suggestion for getting the LIPO in and out with out
having to undo canopy each time..would be nice.
Bobzilla

Matt Kirsch
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Bobzilla,

Maybe I missed it, but how many cells are you running? I'd expect a 4S or 5S, which if I'm not mistaken, is dodgy for using the built-in BEC on the Phoenix 60. The amount of heat the BEC needs to dissipate to regulate the voltage from 14.8V (or 19.0V for a 5S) down to 5V for the receiver is tremendous, and would certainly burn out common linear BEC chips.

What I'm getting at here is that you may still need that receiver pack.

Unless, of course, they've incorporated a switching BEC into the big Phoenix ESCs when I wasn't looking :)

bobzilla
12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I set up the plane with a 3s 2100, but I am slated for Santa delivery of a 4s 4200. I think you are right, and am going to install a 2100nimh for rx battery/servos. I would feel safer with this setup also, in case of total
esc failure. Final placement of both batteries is still due after cg check.

simibill
12-28-2005, 05:32 PM
This is my first 46 size conversion, a LONG-EZ canard plane to electric.
I used the new E-FLIGHT 46, Phonix 60, and thunder 4200 lipos. This was a way easy conversion, only having to make some custom standoff for motor.
The plane actually balances out better with electric as you don't have to
add the supplied lead weight that was supplied with the arf. Here are some pics. First flight coming Christmas day.

Did you fly yet? If so how'd it go?

bobzilla
12-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Still waiting on Hobby-Lobby to send the battery..Sheesh.

Dereck
01-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Bob - where did you buy your 'kit' from? Looks remarkably like the "Richmodel" one, and the only price I've unearthed for that one was around $190. Still, if it's in China, the design is up for grabs by about anyone ;)

While not really into "Bought Almost Ready to Fix". I used to live down the road from a farmer who flew one of these at 12" = 1ft scale. It is one seriously sexy machine in the air and, as he loved to beat up his strip, I got to see that it moves like it looks too.

Any idea of the retractable nosegear, as per full size, being feasible? That would be obscenely cool and much less fuss than a retract tri-gear :)

Regards

Dereck

bobzilla
01-06-2006, 03:50 AM
http://www.raidentech.com/voloeznigass.html
the kit is sold here for $119..for the price it is steal.
I just got my lipo today..so not i just have to cg the plane and go fly this weekend. (thanks, Hobby-lobby for great deal on 4200 3p2s lipo.)

bobz

Dereck
01-06-2006, 10:21 PM
At that price, am close to breaking the habit of a lifetime and ordering one! Major worry, given what you said about the details - wings that are able to rotate without my input do not inspire confidence - is that the structure may be as well engineered as the 'kit's; instructions.

The idea of putting my MaxCim BL into something built less well than I'd do it does not inspire me overly, at any price.

Can see how you could inspect the fus structure - any way to see inside the wings, to see if they were built with balsa, spruce, sawn-up orange boxes or what?

What's the covering like? Is it basically white, then you add lots of decals, or are those speed stripes already fitted?

Are you beginning to wish you'd never mentioned this model at all ;) ?

TIA

Dereck

bobzilla
01-06-2006, 11:47 PM
The documentation on the arf is NOT stellar..but a good builder can
usually figure things out. I would not attempt to add anti-rotation pins with out a incidence meter..
Putting in the cannard is a major pane..but doable. Dont glue on the ailerons first like I did..hehe

The arf is well worth the price it is at now..but I would not paymuch more.
The wing span is very nice..Hope it fits in my caravan. The nose and tailcones are pre painted and nice. Hardware is good with just the right stuff, including stearing nose wheel. Remember, this plane has no rudder..so nose steering is a must..unless you fly on the dry lake bed where I do..and you can run up for ever..
If you get the arf and find some nice mods/hints on building..please post here..thanks
Bobz

Dereck
01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
The documentation on the arf is NOT stellar..but a good builder can
usually figure things out. I would not attempt to add anti-rotation pins with out a incidence meter..
Putting in the cannard is a major pane..but doable. Dont glue on the ailerons first like I did..hehe

The arf is well worth the price it is at now..but I would not paymuch more.
The wing span is very nice..Hope it fits in my caravan. The nose and tailcones are pre painted and nice. Hardware is good with just the right stuff, including stearing nose wheel. Remember, this plane has no rudder..so nose steering is a must..unless you fly on the dry lake bed where I do..and you can run up for ever..
If you get the arf and find some nice mods/hints on building..please post here..thanks
Bobz

Knowing me, the first hint will be "tear off all the wing covering and go around all the glue joints with thin CA :eek: "

Then I could fit a micro servo in each wing to drive the tip rudders I'd add to the fins ...

There's good reason I usually design my own models!

As it's a nice, clean airframe, with minimal prop clearance, I'd be looking at my MaxCim 13D, geared down around 2.5:1 and running off 14 x GP2200. Prop to 45A, aiming for speed as these things look fast standing still. Aerobatics - I'd bet the fullsize isn't cleared for them. I've heard of a couple of English guys actually competing in FAI Pattern with canards, but I don't know how they handle the stall/snap/spin elements. You really don't want to contemplate getting the rear wing to fully stall unless you really know canards.

Mostly, the main aim of this sort of aircraft is getting from an airport to a coffee bar at another airport very, very fast for people who can't afford a P51 or bizjet

Dereck
Still thinking...

jrb
01-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Nicely done!

VECTOR-G
01-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Has anyone mounted the motor/mount with any thrust angles? Or is everyone just mounting it centered on the firewall? I'm not really quite sure because of it being a pusher type aircraft.

simibill
01-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Has anyone actually flown one of these?

bhchan
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Definitely an nexpensive plane, but they are out of stock at the moment. I am not sure if I would buy this if I see a photo like this one on their page!! :)

Brian,an EAJ

Dereck
01-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks Brian - you just saved me from doing something I'd have regretted - almost instantly, and at great length afterwards.

BARFing has reverted to its usual level of attraction for me :)

Regards

Dereck

wildnloose
01-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Could someone please answer this for me??

I went to the web site. I see 2 versions of this plane. Which one is the real deal, the one with red striped and tinted canopy (which looks like the same pic of a plane at another store), or without red stripes and clear canopy.

Thanks,
Wild

Nitro Blast
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Having bought from Raiden before, usually both versions are available. I bought the Cessna (3x) and got two blue, and one red. The kits were more different than just the colors.

I even asked him for a blue one, he said he didnt have any and sent red. When I wanted to replace the red, a blue one came... go figure.

topher39
01-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I fly this Long EZ on a Axi 2826 and it flys really well. Plenty of power. I use 2 3 cell lipo packs in parrallel setup, giving me 6000 mah capacity.
Will fly easily on 1/2 throttle and will glide with power off till the cows come home.

There is no need for any anti-rotation pins!!! The ARF comes with a steel rod that is behind the main aluminum tube spar. The steel rod is glued through the fuselage and as you slide the main wings onto the aluminum spar the steel pins seat into the main wing through holes supplied. This brings the incidence into perfect stock position, the nylon bolts is an extra step to hold the wings on the spar and steel rod, nothing more.

Beware the elevator on the fron canard needs lots of down to keep the plane pitched up and fly level. I almost could not get it to "unstick" from the runway as you need plenty of speed and full back to rotate. I suspect that the CG needs to be moved forward of stock positon as weight needs to be moved back. Or the Incedince needs to be changed. I don't have enough through left to do a loop with the stock setup.

Overall it flys well, the canard is adding a lot of drag with the elevator down so much and I can feel it dragging along a bit. A shift in CG at the field helped and the speed picked up. Rolls great, easy easy to land and in general I am pleased! With power off it is super stable and will glide and glide! Beware, with power off it will tip stall if you try to stall it, power on it just mushes ahead.

Quality is very nice overall, the hardware - throw it out! the set screws in the collars break before you can tighten them! Pot metal, just don't do it. Even the plastic zip ties break - this is a small bit of hardware to replace and it is worth changing it out! The covering is iron on and heavy weight. My edges were down very well, better than most of the high end ARFs. Shrinks easy with heat, and does not burn up on contact.

I choose to paint it like one ot the WWII Japanese Secret Weapons, and I think it looks great in the air. See attached photo.

I am looking for another, does anyone want to give up on their's? anyone have and extra? They are out until mid to end of Feb. at the latest.

wildnloose question - Raidentech has two planes a Voyager, which is electric and smaller, and a "Nitro Plane" as they call it, that is for a .46 glow. These are two completely different planes! The trim is in white with Blue trim line, no red stripes etc. as they show, all else is the same, the canopy is clear.

wildnloose
01-27-2006, 02:22 PM
topher39,
Thanks for the info, but the page in the link above (posted by bobzilla) shows 2 different planes, one with blue stripes, red tips, and clear canopy; and one with red and blue stripes, tinted canopy. I have done some checking and the latter one looks exactly like the one sold by esprit model for 189.00.

Thanks for the build tips and flight info. I'm looking for a versatile plane (windy day, sporting around, av, experimentation) and I think this one will make a good choice. Now just have to convince my wife that I really need it.

ps-anyone thinking about putting retracts on it (not just the nose but the mains as well)?? I bet it would look really cool doing a low fly-by with the mains tucked under...

topher39
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Wildnloose - the plane Bobzilla shows is the same plane that Raidentech sells, but with different trim - the white with blue stripes only as shown in the first posts. I notice this plane is sold in the UK with all yellow body too.

Too bad Esprit sells it for so much, I think it is worth waiting for a new supply to come from China, sold thru Raidentech.

Topher

wildnloose
01-28-2006, 06:18 PM
thanks

bhchan
01-29-2006, 02:38 AM
topher39,

Which paint did you use on the covering?

Brian, an EAJ

topher39
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
I used Model Master on the underside in Gull Gray, I used Kylon paint for plastic for the green. Whipe off with Denatured Alcohol first, then Use steel wool to buff the surface so the paint has something to stick to.

I talked to someone at Rich Models and found out that someone who used to work for them in China, ran off with a set of plans - hence the Raidentech Version.

Topher