PDA

View Full Version : What other glues DRY in deep buried joints

cyclops2
12-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Is there any other glue I can use in deep epoxy glue joints ? Inserted spars, joining thick pieces?

ForestCam
12-22-2005, 11:30 PM
There used to be a glue out there that was made for repairing chairs, looked just like regular white glue only it dried well in the absence of air and it expanded slightly to tighten the joint.

Here's one example but it goes under many brand names, check at your local hardware or a woodworking shop.
http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web3231big.jpg

Rugar
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
I use Gorilla Glue. Very strong, light, and expands to fill all voids.
http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

ragbag
12-23-2005, 01:38 AM
Gerald,
Have you had the Gorilla glue cure in the bottle on you?

My first one cure in the bottle after my first use. This was a while back, was very pleased with the results until I went to use the rest and found it hard in the bottle. A bit pricey that way, seems that it was a big bottle if I remember right.

Had a thread on RC Groups about storing the bottle upsidedown and what have you to be able to get what hadn't cured out a few days later.

Keep looking at it on the shelf and remember my experience with it, so walk on by.

Don't remember what I was repairing, but I know the way it expanded was what made the repair work. :)

By George

Just went into the Gorilla site and they tell you to store the bottle upsidedown also.
B G

Rugar
12-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Ive had the same 2oz bottle for over 6 months now, and it has always been stored standing upright. I just went and checked it and the whole bottle is still liquid, with no sign of any hardening at all. With the way this stuff expands, a little goes a long way and a small bottle last me along time. I only use it on certain applications where I need to fill a void for a strong joint.
It works especially well on GWS planes for installing the plastic pieces that get glued in for the landing gear that don't ever have a tight fit. I have never had one come loose since I started using this glue. In fact this was the reason I got this glue to start with, but have found many uses for it since.

ForestCam
12-23-2005, 03:01 AM
Did you possibly apply it to a wet surface and suck moisture back into the bottle or leave the cap off a bit too long on a really humid day?

cyclops2
12-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I have a confession to make about my age and the condition of my brain.
-
The warrenty is running out on it:( .
-
Cheap old Liquid Nails, in a caluk tube at Home Depot is a highly recommended glue for glueing Styro Foam to itself or anything else.
I will try it on a DEEP, 6" wide area between 2 sheets and post back with the results.
I do not see how the solvents are going to escape in 24 hours.
TO me there is a world of structural difference between, glued and joined by a ,adhesive.
Adhesives sometimes NEVER FULLY SET HARD. More like a contact glue.
Sliding a 1/8" thick piece of Balsa into a 1" deep slot of Liquid Nails in a wing might be fun.
Might have to go to very thin plywood heated first with a hair dryer.