PDA

View Full Version : Scale WW1 Foamies Thread

dai phan
03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Hello WW1 buff,

I thought I start a thread where we can post your scale foamies (along the line of Eflite and Kavan) so we all can benefit of what are available. If possible, let us know what motor packages are appropriate for these gems. Please no profile planes. I will put up pictures my fleet here soon ( Sig D-VII, Eflite Jenny, Eflite Se5a and Kavan Albatross DV). Let's see your airforce! DP

degreen60
03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Here are my foam WW1 planes.

Kavan Albatros 2410-08 9x7 prop 2C lipo

Wattage Camel 2410-09 11x8 prop 6 1800ma Nimh (needs the battery weight for balance)

Scratch built Sopwith Triplane 2410-09 10x8 prop 6 1800ma Nimh

Eflite Jenny AX 2306N 7x6 prop

WWI Ace
03-18-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm surprised that Albatros has survived all your Sopwiths Degreen!!! Good idea about the foamies getting their pictures here. Let me see if I have any pics to post!! Steve

degreen60
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm surprised that Albatros has survived all your Sopwiths Degreen!!! Good idea about the foamies getting their pictures here. Let me see if I have any pics to post!! Steve

It is a tough old bird, look at the scars on its nose. It was the first plane I flew after learning on my trainer. It took a lot of beating till I my flying(or should I say landing) skills got better. Course it don't help having 2 Sopwiths hanging close to it all the time.

Henner Trabandt
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Nice idea! May show you my old (three years is old for a foamie, isnīt it?) scrachbuilt Hansa Brandenburg CI? 1/12th scale, that is 1,12m (44in) wingspan and 500 gramms (1 pound ) weight. Power supplied by three cells of 1000 mAh. No wind in the mountains gives an interesting background for a biplane.

Henner

degreen60
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice idea! May show you my old (three years is old for a foamie, isnīt it?) scrachbuilt Hansa Brandenburg CI? 1/12th scale, that is 1,12m (44in) wingspan and 500 gramms (1 pound ) weight. Power supplied by three cells of 1000 mAh. No wind in the mountains gives an interesting background for a biplane.

Henner

Nice plane. Looks great. Although you need to do something about that thing hanging off the back of it(as my wife said about my planes). Get some enamel coated wire, about #30. Cut a piece close the the same length as the ant wire and use it to replace the ant wire. Can not be see in the air and hard to see even when your holding the plane.

Henner Trabandt
05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Thank you, good idea! Iīve been thinking quite a long time about how to make that antenna invisible and now I can do it!
(I know enamel coatet wire, but excuse me what is #30? Size? Diameter?)
Henner

degreen60
05-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you, good idea! Iīve been thinking quite a long time about how to make that antenna invisible and now I can do it!
(I know enamel coatet wire, but excuse me what is #30? Size? Diameter?)
Henner

#30 is the size of the wire. Larger the number the smaller the wire. I am guessing the size of the wire I am using is #30 cause the spool is unmarked. If you have an old TV laying around you might find enough small wire on one of the coils in it to use. You don't have to replace the whole ant wire, only have to replace what is hanging outside the fuselage. If you will pm me you address I will send you some of the wire I am using. I have enough wire for anyone that would like some. Run the end of the wire through the fold in a sheet of sand paper to remove the enamel before soldering. Some wire has enamel that melts of with the heat of a soldering iron but I aways sand it anyway just to be sure it will solder.

If you look at the pictures of my planes the ant is laying on the floor behind them and can not be seen.

Henner Trabandt
05-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Degreen. Now I understand. In Germany we donīt use the gauge-sizes for wires. I think I have some wire, that shoult fit. At the moment we got too much wind to fly a foamie, but on Sunday the wind shall calm down. Then Iīll show you an invisible antenna.
Yours Henner

dai phan
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

Why not use 2.4 gig and forget about the broomstick? DP

degreen60
05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi all,

Why not use 2.4 gig and forget about the broomstick? DP

I have 8 planes. Thats means it would cost me to buy 8 receivers and a transmitter that has memory for at least 8 planes. Cost to change to invisable ant is 0.

Henner Trabandt
05-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Degreen,
did you think this way? If you donīt know where to look for the ant, it is really hard to find, but still visible!
Well, DP is right, if I should buy a new transmitter and receiver, I should take 2.4 GHZ.

Henner

degreen60
05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
scrachbuilt Hansa Brandenburg CI? 1/12th scale
Henner

I like the model. Is not one that is seen all the time like the Fokkers.

matador527
08-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi, Guys! I'm brand new to rc, still trying to keep my Slow Stick in the air for more that 8 seconds...but I'm already planning ahead to being able to actually fly an airplane that LOOKS like an airplane. I've seen so many beautiful WW1 types in these forums! I'm looking for an airplane to build that's NOT a Fokker...not that they're not pretty, but everybody seems to have one...and I want a DVIII eventually...but first I want something just a little more unusual...and in looking around, I came across a link that might be well-known to you guys, but a newbie like me might find it interesting...it's www.wwiaviation.com/toc.shtml , lots of good pics, airplanes, history...and nice paint jobs, which should be authentic...

WWI Ace
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Try www.manzanolaser.com (http://www.manzanolaser.com) and www.aerodromerc.com (http://www.aerodromerc.com) for your WWI kits. They both sell some unusual WWI kits. Steve

7car7
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Just found this thread! Need to look around more I guess.

here's a pic of my old Tiger Moth (GWS Pico TM). It has a GWS gear drive 350 motor. This plane is "no more". My son was on the trainer cord, and he went into a dive, and I didn't react soon enough. Went right into a goal post.

Love the PTM. Just can't beat it for small school yard flying.

I bought a new one, and I'm currently building it right now. It will be a bit modded, but not drastically.

(edit - Oops, I completely forgot I was in WWI section. Hope no one minds this plane being here. I have no problem removing if asked).

dbcisco
10-30-2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks to "The Blue Max" when I was very young, I thought the Tiger Moth was a WWI plane. I know better now. However, the lines of the TM isn't much different to my eye than a lot of "stand off scale" WWI planes. It hangs with my other WWI planes nicely. Maybe nexy one will get the Grey/Black/White paint job as in the movie:eek:

cocobear
10-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Attached are scratch built Gotha GIV, DH2, and Albatros DI

degreen60
10-30-2008, 04:40 PM

I likem

barmonkey
10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I likem too!!

I'd likem some more info on the Albatros...and especially the DH2.

Did you have a build thread over at RCG on the Gotha?

dbcisco
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
How difficult was the albatros?
I love them but they look tough to build with all the curves surfaces.

7car7
10-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Wow, great planes there. Very nicely done.

Would love to see a build thread on any of those.

cocobear
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
The Albatros was an interesting project in which I learned a great deal about molding depron at home. A second would now be a snap.

dbcisco
10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
The Albatros was an interesting project in which I learned a great deal about molding depron at home. A second would now be a snap.

Please do an Albatros build for us. Pretty please? That Albatros is better looking than anything I could afford to buy.

rhino
10-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Very nice birds. Does that DH2 have pull pull ailerons?

Henner Trabandt
10-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Indeed, lovely planes :$

Oh yes, Iīd love to see a build thread too. (Next time I do a foamy I shall make a build thread too. But at the moment Iīm very occupied with my Bristol Scout. Nothing for this thread as she is completely made from wood)

Just for fun, here is my foamy Scout.

Yours Henner

ps: Degreen excuse me. This is a picture from last year. That time I didnīt know, how to make an invisible antenna.

dai phan
10-31-2008, 02:21 PM

Simply outstanding! DP

dai phan
10-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Hello all,

Looks like GP is putting out a small foamy Pup and that's what I need. Any news on release date? It is along the Eflite series. Anybody hears anything? DP

7car7
10-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Henner, that Scout is very nice looking!

cocobear
10-31-2008, 02:59 PM
DP. Yes we are doing a Pup. It was devel along with the others I showed pictures of. It is a truly awesomeeeeeeeeeee flyer suitable for both indoor and outdoor. Henner, are your wings depron?? If so, you can actually mold them to an airfoil by making a slightly oversize wing form and covert out of balsa or plywood (must be warp resistant!!) and mold the panels in your oven at around 240-250 F. Let them cool for about five minutes before opening. You need to fool around with the temp based on your oven. To hot they melt, to cool they don't hold your shape. Wings done in this fashion make a lot more lift and aren't as pitchy (less sensitive CG).

DJ

dai phan
10-31-2008, 03:10 PM
DP. Yes we are doing a Pup. It was devel along with the others I showed pictures of. It is a truly awesomeeeeeeeeeee flyer suitable for both indoor and outdoor. Henner, are your wings depron?? If so, you can actually mold them to an airfoil by making a slightly oversize wing form and covert out of balsa or plywood (must be warp resistant!!) and mold the panels in your oven at around 240-250 F. Let them cool for about five minutes before opening. You need to fool around with the temp based on your oven. To hot they melt, to cool they don't hold your shape. Wings done in this fashion make a lot more lift and aren't as pitchy (less sensitive CG).

DJ

Hi Cocobear,

So you are the principle designer for the Pup? The others will be released too (Dh2, Gotha and Albatros?) DP

7car7
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
.......a slightly oversize wing form and covert out of balsa or plywood (must be warp resistant!!) and mold the panels in your oven at around 240-250 F.....

Are you making a male and female mold for the wings? or just a male and laying the depron over it and waiting for the heat to "drape" the foam over it?

cocobear
10-31-2008, 05:45 PM
I make a male and then clamp a piece of balsa over the top with bull clips.

Henner Trabandt
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi cocobear,
thanks for your advice to make the construction of wings more easy. For a biplane with four wings, it may be useful, to make a wing form. Anyway Iīll show you my construction. Well, it isnīt my own idea, ist is older than I am. Invented in the 50th in vienna by Erich Jedelski. It makes very great lift at very low speed. It doesnīt stall and it is a very very stiff wing. You can even go for a walk with the foamy at your side. You need: 1 sheet of depron 1/4" (6mm), 1 sheet of 1/8" (3mm), some flat triangles made from balsa and a carbon profile, that fits between the two depron sheets. Glue it together with white glue and sand it to shape. One wing was at only 6 gramms. Look an the pictures. Of corse Iīll try it to "bake" a wing in the oven.

Henner

Henner Trabandt
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello cocobear,

just one more question about your wing construction: Do you sand the foam down a little bit at the trailing edge and leading edge like no. 2 in my pic or do you make a wing like no. 1?

thank you.

Henner

cocobear
01-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I mold as form 1 as sanded depron has a very porus look even after polycrylic is added and sanded. That being said, the wing does thin out slightly at the leading and trailing edges will thin out due to the clamping.

cocobear
02-20-2009, 10:03 PM
This time, 12.5" 17Grams RTF

scalercflyer
02-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Here's my sorta Pfalz Tiger Moth in camo ala the "Blue Max" movie. Martin

scalercflyer
02-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Beautiful Albatross cocobear! I love it! Martin

7car7
02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Beautiful Albatross cocobear! I love it! Martin

x2! Very nice. I'm shocked at the weight, trying to figure out how you've done that. What kind of controls does it have, servos? Or actuators?

dbcisco
02-22-2009, 03:14 AM
Sweet Albatross cocobear! How did you make the fuselage?

scalercflyer
02-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Guys here's something interesting I heard lately. Some modelers are down loading cardboard model patterns from Fiddler's Green, blowing them up and transferring them to foam. They build the model by folding the patterns and making the model. Bulkheads and mods, etc, are added as needed. Then they are using the bind and fly 2.4G Spectrum brick for controls. This results in a super light and somewhat accurate model. See the website for all of the available planes. Note: you get three free downloads for signing up. I'm gonna try one. Marty
https://www.fiddlersgreen.net/user/login

dbcisco
02-22-2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the tip Marty.

degreen60
02-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Guys here's something interesting I heard lately. Some modelers are down loading cardboard model patterns from Fiddler's Green, blowing them up and transferring them to foam.

I have found several free WW1 paper airplanes on the net. I used the wings of a paper Albatros enlarged and printed on an inkjet printer to cover the foam wings of my Kavan Albatros. I have started a build of a WW2 Zero. Just need to finish installing the motor.

degreen60
02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
For a free paper Fokker EIII or MS-N look here. There are several differant color schemes.

http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/

dbcisco
02-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Very cool. Thanks degreen.:D

degreen60
02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
I have several files of printed paper WW1 airplanes I found free on the net. Anyone who would want a list of the files send me an email.

cocobear
02-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Flew my little Albi 6 times Saturday night. getting it dialed in. it is a very nice flyer!

scalercflyer
02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
cocbear do you have plans available for that bird? ;) Tell us how you built her. :) What gear you used etc.. Marty

degreen60
02-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Here is a list of the free WW1 printed airplanes I found on the net. It also shows the file types but not how many differant schemes of each plane. I you would like some of the files send me an email with your email address.

If you need a program to enlarge and tile the files to print you can get the program free off the net too.

Percyflyer
02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Dave,
Do you do the fuse the same as the wing? Male mold and heat the depron around the mold? Obviously you are doing the fuse in sections. Left, right or top bottom and how many sections?

steve

cocobear
03-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Stick two blocks togrther with a couple drops of CA and bandsaw side and top view. Sand to shape. Don't be shy with the grit! I start with 80. It took about a half hour to carve the plug. Once finnished sanding, Split the two pieces apart with a flat blade screw driver through the front. Put rails on the back about 3/32" in from the edge. Clip (we use small Bull Clips) the depron/durabatics to one edge. Go the whole side or it will tear then work the material over the thickest part and clip it. Basically work out the big gaps. Small creases are OK as they will shrink out. Bake it for about 5minutes at around 245 and shazaam!