PDA

View Full Version : Float plans???

JUDGE
12-23-2005, 10:22 PM
:confused: I was wondering if anyone might have plans for floats? I intend to build a set out of depron. This should keep the weight way down compared to GWS floats. I would imagine they will be stronger also. The size of the plans wont matter as they can be scaled up or down to meet the planes requirements. Any thoughts??? Just an idea as its time to fly in the snow. I have a load of 6mm depron so thats what they will be built out of.

Tim :cool:

Johan Beyers
12-24-2005, 10:26 AM
I've collected some links on my floats page, maybe this will help:

Floats - Eflight101 (http://www.eflight101.com/sig/floats/)

JUDGE
12-24-2005, 01:57 PM
$1.97 Floats...Just what the doctor ordered!!!:D
Thanks so much!!!

qban_flyer
12-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Not only that JUDGE. They are beautiful too.

Many thanks JB for making that link available to us.:)

JUDGE
01-10-2006, 04:27 AM
First of all thanks to Johan for submitting the float plans!:D
Well guys I finally got back into the shop after the holiday mass confusion.:mad: Time to build some floats so I can fly in the snow, Of course there isnt any right now!! I built these out of 6mm depron and glued them together with foam safe CA. They came out strong , straight and light. They weigh 25 grams each fully covered. I covered them with scrap charcol brown metalic ultracote and striped them in yellow. They are going on my old yellow Kyosho Ferias that I am converting to brushless power and adding ailreons to the wing. These took me about 4 hours to build from start to finish including meals. A man has to eat to keep the old energy level up for these kind of projects ya know.:D I will post any progress with this plane if anyone is interested.

zappedalaskan
01-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Tim,
Looks great! I see your an HO scale railroader as well. I model the Alaska rail road in HO. Nice color scheme on the floats.
Regards,
Jay

zappedalaskan
01-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Thank you kindly for the link! I have downloaded the plans. Copied, Pasted the directions into MS Word and printed it all out since the last post! Very painless.
Again I thank you kindly :)
Regards,
Jay

JUDGE
01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi guy's, I thought there might be some interest in my old Kyosho Ferias conversion to a float plane/ winter flyer. I snapped some pic's of the conversion. Well here goes....:rolleyes:
1) heres the old plane
2) heres the floats that I just built (see plans above)
3) copy the old landing gear, make 2
4) make cross braces and rough up areas to be soldered
5) strip some old lamp cord for solder joints
6) wrap solder connections
7) add flux
8) solder
9) trim off excess ends
10) finished product
Stayed Tuned For Part Two!:cool:

zappedalaskan
01-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Tim,
Looks great. Your landing gear came out real nice. Thank's for the building tips!
Regards,
Jay

JUDGE
01-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Find the C.G. on your plane and mark the fuse, Align the step of the float so that its under the C.G. I installed the front L.G. on the fuse and set the plane on the floats in the proper location. I then marked where the rear l.g. will mount.

Cut an opening in the bottom of the fuse the width of the top of the L.G.
Build doublers to capture the L.G. inside the fuse. I used balsa and 1/16" ply for this to keep the weight down.

Install both L.G.'s and add Two cross braces to the L.g. to provide front to back support, solder as before.:D

Part 3 to come....

JUDGE
01-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Well I guess I couldnt stop because these looked so neat:D so I went on with the build......

The next thing I did was to build 4 mounts to attach the floats to the L.G. They are 1.25x1.25 plywood squares with a popsickle stick for the upright. I used epoxy to attach these to the floats, then attached the floats to the plane with wheel collars, pretty simple! Now its time to start fixing up the old plane. Still no snow in Ohio so I have some time.:rolleyes:

To be continued........:eek:

zappedalaskan
01-12-2006, 04:13 AM
Looking good Tim :D
Jay

JUDGE
01-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks Jay, You wouldnt be looking at any of the "slimers" would you? lol

zappedalaskan
01-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Tim,
Have you maidened the kyosho yet? It looks great! Do you have snow there, or water?
Take care,
Jay

JUDGE
01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
We have snow as of today, but not much. No maiden yet, I still have to get the plane in shape. I might get back into the shop today to convert to brushless power. I will make a video of my testing and maiden flight as time permits.:D Tim

zappedalaskan
01-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Tim,
I'd love to see some video of your plane. It came out real nice. I hope it flies as good as it looks! :D
Jay

n001pa
01-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Hey Tim, that does look good. Thanks instructions. I plan on trying floats on my Twin Star II in the future.

JUDGE
01-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Well fella's, Today I dug out an E-Flight park 400 motor and a Mini Funtana gearbox that I mounted up on the plane. It was also time to fabricate a new cowl since the old one was pretty "buchered" from years of abuse. :eek: Made it out of balsa sheet and triangle stock then sanded to pretty much the origional shape. I am still figuring out a color scheme for the fuslage as it also needs some repair. Tim p.s. thats the Hellcat from Hobby-Lobby"s crash sale in the background, quite a plane for 40 bucks:D

n001pa
01-15-2006, 02:16 AM
I've got one of those Hellcats coming my way now. Did you get yours through the sale? I'm a little peeved with HL right now because along with the Hellcat I ordered the Twin Star II. They were supposed to ship the TW II out then because I payed the $20 extra for 2nd day delivery just so I could have it here this weekend. Instead not only did they hold it for the Hellcat but they didn't ship the Hellcat thursday like they said they would. Mine didn't get shipped until late yesterday so the $20 2nd day shipping will take 4 days. They have agreed to refund me the extra shipping because they say my order was misplaced.:mad:

Oh well. I'm done ranting for now.
Word to self.
Just think happy thoughts!!:D

zappedalaskan
01-16-2006, 04:50 AM
So what's the good word Tim? did you fly it yet?
Jay

JUDGE
01-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Lets see... Yes the HellCat is from the crash sale and no I havent flown it yet:( I still have to do alot of "decorating". I may post some pics later. Tim

JUDGE
01-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Hi guys, I'm back after a stint in the shop to "decorate" I was just going to touch up the covering but I'm not that kind of guy. :eek: I chose the theme ....
Aloha Air Island Tours and proceeded to trim the plane. I did'nt have any stripe tape left so I cut my own from Ultra Cote.
Now I have to mount the motor, esc, and radio gear. The weather here has been crappy, wind and rain. High of 53! Not condusive for flying off snow.:mad: Heres the pics of the finished plane. Tim

n001pa
01-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Hey Tim that looks great but what did you do with the old Kyosho Ferias?:D

Rugar
01-18-2006, 02:53 AM
That looks great Tim. Nice Job!

JUDGE
01-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Only the Shadow knows!:eek:

JUDGE
01-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Still Waiting For Some Snow:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: <<<<<<>>>>>>:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!

zappedalaskan
01-26-2006, 08:45 PM
lol Tim,
I am still waiting for some video too! Can't wait to see it fly, it looks great. :) You can have some of my snow (and cold)..
Jay

JUDGE
01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Jay, Send it this way!:D I was in Alaska a few years ago and thats where I got the inspiration for the looks of the plane. By the way... What a BEAUTIFUL place.:D :D

n001pa
01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
We're having crazy weather here. The high temps haven't been below about 45 since before christmas. Most days have been around 60! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for us to have another big ice storm like we did last January. I lost power for more than a week then and with the temps hovering around 0 and an all electric house, it wasn't very fun.

JUDGE
01-26-2006, 08:58 PM
:eek: Great weather if you own some sleds!! NOT:eek:

JUDGE
02-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.................:mad:

JUDGE
02-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Well finaly got some snow, 5" of powder and light winds!! AMAZING
Charged one battery, gathered stuff and ran out the door before total darkness set in. Arrived at school, plugged battery in, radio check, full throttle.... cruised around two complete laps throwing a nice spray of snow, no lift off:mad: too much gearing, oh well....picked plane up, a mighty heave ho.. and into the air we go!!!:D Flew about 15 min. till I couldnt see...or feel fingers!!! Back to the ol shop to refigure my gear box options. No one to shoot video for me tonight:( ....next time...????

n001pa
02-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Nice to hear the floats worked out ok. I am thinking about making up a set of floats for my Twin Star. Maybe even with retracts for some fun amphibious flying.

constantCrash
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
JUDGE,

How much does your plane weigh? i'm thinking of trying these on a HZ super cub and i'm wondering if they are big enough.

Gnascher
10-03-2007, 12:56 AM
JUDGE,

How much does your plane weigh? i'm thinking of trying these on a HZ super cub and i'm wondering if they are big enough.

Those look fine for a Super Cub. For an "out of the box" solution, you could also look for GWS floats. They go for about $10 and are also a perfect fit for a 'cub.

Spencer J
10-04-2007, 12:45 AM
GWS has some nice $10 floats, and there were also a bunch of ads in the older (year ago) model airplane news and backyard flyers for floats. My suggestion would be to try google! :D :cool:

http://www.google.com/search?q=rc+floats&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1