PDA

View Full Version : charger keeps charging

Rhondas
12-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I purchased a rayovac ps8 4 battery wall charger it holds up to 4 batteries AAA or AA , now when the led goes off everything supposed to be topped off, however I unplugged it and plugged it back in for just curiosity and it continues to charge for another 8 to 10 hours, what's the reason for this if the leds go out after an all night charge and it suppose to be finished.

Red Scholefield
12-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I purchased a rayovac ps8 4 battery wall charger it holds up to 4 batteries AAA or AA , now when the led goes off everything supposed to be topped off, however I unplugged it and plugged it back in for just curiosity and it continues to charge for another 8 to 10 hours, what's the reason for this if the leds go out after an all night charge and it suppose to be finished.

It is probably a timed charge. :eek:

Rhondas
12-24-2005, 12:46 AM
It is probably a timed charge. :eek:

Thanks Red your right.

rcnerd
12-24-2005, 06:40 PM
In other words, it's useless unless the batts are always used up before recharging. It's strange. i've noticed that a lot of the consumer chargers don't even mention this in the instructions...i guess they'll sell more batts that way....

Red Scholefield
12-24-2005, 07:08 PM
In other words, it's useless unless the batts are always used up before recharging. It's strange. i've noticed that a lot of the consumer chargers don't even mention this in the instructions...i guess they'll sell more batts that way....

You misinterpreted something. The batteries are charged for a fixed time regardless of the state of charge when you start. Petty common for consumer type chargers.

everydayflyer
12-24-2005, 07:59 PM
A much better IMO smart 4 channel( each cell is charged /discharged/refreshed individually) charger .

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php

Charles

rcnerd
12-24-2005, 10:10 PM
You misinterpreted something. The batteries are charged for a fixed time regardless of the state of charge when you start. Petty common for consumer type chargers.

Or you may have misinterpreted my misinterpretation:D

That's why I said they're useless unless the batts are run down fully...otherwise the batts are being overcharged all the time.

I bought a similar charger which implied it had peak charging on the package...but when I read the directions it said it was timer controlled. But nowhere in the instructions did it caution the user against "topping up" charged batts or charging 1/2 full batts. This is what I meant when I said they'll "cell" more batts with the timer unit...cuz your batts will be regularly overcharged! Maybe they feel that at the low rate the energy can be expressed as heat w/o cell damage...but I doubt that.
When I phoned the manufacturer of said charger to bi+ch they connected me to a "tech" who was unfamliar with the concepts of peak charging, overcharge, etc....LOL:rolleyes:

Or am I missing something, Red?:cool: