PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance for a SLOPE forum?

KingOfTheHill
12-24-2005, 06:03 AM
not sailplane but a Slope/DS forum?

Thanks

JOe

easytiger
12-25-2005, 05:02 AM
I don't fly slope, but this guy KOTH is the bee's knees, the kind of guy who makes forums fun, and you should start a slope forum just for him and his buddies to hang out.
Trust me on this...great stuff, just give them a little room to run.

admin
12-26-2005, 01:52 AM
If I can get a bunch of the top guys who are in slope and even sailplane that know that game well and are respected PLUS active I would work with them to setup a new forum just for them. I think it probably should go outside of WattFlyer (unless the aircraft are epowered of course). I would setup a system that duplicates the wattflyer forums and work with the experts for moderating it and design of the forums, layout, etc.

I am smart enough to admit I am not an expert in slope/sail/DS but am willing to do the part that I am good at which is setting up the software and hardware to allow the experts to work with me to build something better if people feel the need exists.

easytiger
12-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Why get hung up on dogma?

Just start a slope forum right here and now, and give them a little freedom, and watch the traffic rise.
Just because it does not actually have a motor in the snout does not mean it's not "on-topic..."

admin
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Why get hung up on dogma?

Just start a slope forum right here and now, and give them a little freedom, and watch the traffic rise.
Just because it does not actually have a motor in the snout does not mean it's not "on-topic..."

My only concern is that people often perceive they are coming to a site that does something specific. When they come to wattflyer they will know in every forum that somehow things are related to electric flight and there is nothing else to get in the way of that. The slippery "slope" (pun intended) is if we expand beyond electric that the crystal clear function and mission of wattflyer and the perception of it may become diluted.

I am certainly open to creating a slope/sail only dedicated forum that is not combined to wattflyer or if I was to add it here to wattflyer I would want to make sure that both the electric flyers and the slope/sail would prefer them on the same platform rather than separate ones.

From the rumblings I've been hearing it sounds like an alternative to the "other" site time has come.

easytiger
12-26-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't think the concern about what's in the title versus what's in the site is really something worth worrying about...the "other" site has boomerangs, boats, whatever interests people. If people want to talk about it, why not let them? Politics excepted. I would still hold the line on "no politics", I don't care what others say, it can and will and always does bleed into the other forums.

The time is well nigh to really build an alternative to E-zone...Ezone has run it's course.
The only other thing I can add is give things a little more freedom...the Jets Forum on RCU is a little freer than most, and the people who participate seem to LIKE that. I would not get hung up on the "family friendly" thing, it's a big part of the PROBLEM on RCgroups...who needs another site that is rated "G"? For who? The ten kids that might log on? Who SHOULD be adult supervised anyway? Look at the demographic, these forums are for grownups, and conversation at the local flying field is usually rated at least PG-13. Big deal! And don't let the Holy Rollers dictate the content for the rest of us, either.

I'd rather listen to PG-13 King Of The Hill, who actually has something interesting to say, even if it means a few old ladies from Skokie get offended.

Hey! Early morning rant!

easytiger
12-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Sorry, I can't beleive I wrote "run it's course". It's "run its course". It's one of those unique exceptions in the English language.

qban_flyer
12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
My only concern is that people often perceive they are coming to a site that does something specific. When they come to wattflyer they will know in every forum that somehow things are related to electric flight and there is nothing else to get in the way of that. The slippery "slope" (pun intended) is if we expand beyond electric that the crystal clear function and mission of wattflyer and the perception of it may become diluted.

Exactly.

Remember this sticky's opening sentences?

"Welcome to WattFlyer.com where we do only one thing, electric flight. Other sites run the gamut but we decided to build this site to do one thing and do it well."

Watt Flyer is a refreshing alternative to the other ones out "there", let us not dilute it, plz. :o