PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if the batteries are dead?

bb381cc
12-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Hey,
Please tell me and my husband How to tell if the batteries are dead. He is trying to fly this dang thing and can't even get the thing to spin. If you guys or girls have any ides on what a normal beginner can do to get the thing to fly please let us know! We need help to make this worth the dang money and time I spent making this a Christmas gift. Please respond asap.
Wife in need!

aeropal
12-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Cross-Posted Topic . . Blade CP

AEAJR
12-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey,
Please tell me and my husband How to tell if the batteries are dead. He is trying to fly this dang thing and can't even get the thing to spin. If you guys or girls have any ides on what a normal beginner can do to get the thing to fly please let us know! We need help to make this worth the dang money and time I spent making this a Christmas gift. Please respond asap.
Wife in need!

OK, why don't you give us some information so we can help you. :eek: Perhaps you can tell us what plane you have, what kind of battery you are using, what charger you are using and what you have done.

Did you read the instructions?

Did it ever work?

Barfing Pumpkin
12-28-2005, 11:00 PM
[quote=bb381cc;31741]Hey,
Please tell me and my husband How to tell if the batteries are
dead. /quote]

Well, you can assume they are dead if they quit moving around, and if they emit a horrible odor after about a week of doing nothing. ;) :D

To test for absolute proof of death, you can use a VOM and check for voltage. If you are working with LiPo's, you can expect an expensive funeral. :rolleyes:

Condolences, if so warranted.

Barf

E-Challenged
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
BP

Why did you mislead this poor disinterested lady? Dead batteries don't usually stink. Do "Slimmers" ( people who are always dieting and exercising?) really make you sick? Do you suppose she knows what a "VOM" is? Maybe her post was really "tongue in cheek", I hope so!

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
bb381cc,

Getting an inexpensive digital volt meter from Radio Shack will assist you in measuring the voltage of whatever type battery pack you are using.

The pack should have its voltage printed on it. If after charging the pack your measurement does not correspond with what's specified, either the pack or the charger have failed you.

As AEAJR indicated above, a bit more of information on what equipment you are using would give us a clearer picture of your set up to better enable anyyone here to assist you.:)

Barfing Pumpkin
01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
...Do "Slimmers" ( people who are always dieting and exercising?) really make you sick? Do you suppose she knows what a "VOM" is? Maybe her post was really "tongue in cheek", I hope so!

Slimmers refer to folks who fly glow fuel models, like I did for some time. You have to wipe down the plane when you are finished flying, and the term is not meant to be derrogatory. If the original post was "tongue in cheek", fine with me, as my reply was most obviously that also. The recommendation to check the batteries for residual voltage is, however, not meant as a joke. Possibly the term "VOM" would be new to a beginning electric flier, perhaps I should have better described the needed instrument. Whatever the case, when LiPo's go dead, they almost always stay that way. I just came across that very same situation last weekend at our flying site. A LiPo was left connected to the plane, the flyer thinking the ESC would serve as a "switch". The pack was completely discharged, less than one volt on a 3S1P. He was upset as there was no warning about this possibilty in the instruction manual for the plane. His comment was, upon measuring the voltage, and I quote: "Man, this really stinks!". So, I thereupon rest my case. ;)

Barf

Cas123
01-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi BB,
Please let us know the make and model of the R/C aircraft you have.

Thanks, Ron...

Matt Kirsch
01-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Okay guys, according to another thread that this individual started 'round about Christmas, they've admitted defeat, and have sold the Blade CP she was asking about.

Personally, I think her husband would've been much happier with an E-Flite Blade CX, Hirobo Mini-Lama, even a $59.99 Blade Runner toy from Radio Shack. Those units offer the "instant gratification" they were obviously looking for.

I'm closing this thread before it gets nasty.