PDA

View Full Version : RCU Bipe

shotgunsmitty
03-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Well, I'll be putting mine back together this weekend!

My fellow flyer and I played hookie from work for a few hours today, we had gorgeous weather, almost no wind. So we went out to fly a little before my next meeting.

I never liked the landing gear on this, so I had removed the stock gear. We used a hole saw to cut 2" diameter "wheels" our of some sturdy EPP that I had around. This worked, but the carbon struts leave a LOT to be desired. Our airstrip was a frozen sheet of ice, which gave us our smoothest surface, but it wasn't pointing in the best direction. After some heavy taxiing I decided it was time to lift off. I'm using an EMax motor, and it's grossly overpowered. It wants to take off at idle, so trimming it was real fun. Once airborne, it was sweet! Loops, rolls, I hovered it for a while...then at the upper altitudes (about 50') the wind picked it up and carried it off, about 300 yards or so, I could tell the battery was checking out...I still maintained control and plopped it down a little heavier than I wanted, doing reparable damage.

What a pleasure to fly. Second time around I decided for a hand launch...once it got airborne I decided I wanted to roll it vertical...which promptly slung the battery clean off the plane....ouch.

So, I've got some patching to do. Can't wait to do it again!

shotgunsmitty
03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, we've had good weather for the past two days, and two other flyers and myself met out in Dyea on the tidal flats...I know, it sounds windy already, but there was only a gentle breeze.

I haven't perfected landing, yet, and the bipe really gets sketchy in any wind at all, but CA and kicker and I was back in the game until the last flight. But, I'm back in the game again, and fully charged, too!

I gave up on ROG takeoffs and managed just fine with the underhanded toss that I learned here. All that sim time really paid off, with rolls, drillbits, augers, immelmans, inverted flying, and once the wind picked up a little I had her hovering for about a solid minute. My friend let me fly his cub, great trainer, but when I offered him the controls to my bipe, no way! Nobody wanted to touch the sticks on this one. Even as I would nose in a landing, tear out the landing gear struts, CA it back together and be back in the air. The extreme rudder control on this bird is amazing! I was doing figure 8s with just the rudder...it was when I tried them inverted when I had to put her in the car and go home! But she's back together, a little worse for wear, but still back together.

aviatordave
03-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Sounds familiar like my RCU bipe. The landing gear is just the worst thing I've dealt with. I have had the same problems...I'm thinking of cutting them off and just belly landing it in the grass. Its a easy plane to hover - I agree :) The underhanded toss is the best way to launch IMHO.

gfdengine204
03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Sounds familiar like my RCU bipe. The landing gear is just the worst thing I've dealt with. I have had the same problems...I'm thinking of cutting them off and just belly landing it in the grass. Its a easy plane to hover - I agree :) The underhanded toss is the best way to launch IMHO.

Dave,

Didn't you tie it off to help secure it? Or was that a worthless mod?

aviatordave
03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Dave,

Didn't you tie it off to help secure it? Or was that a worthless mod?

worthless mod? lol.....oh how I can make fun of some friends...jk

It was wortless. When you fly your bipe you will know what we are talking about. I'm not really impressed with the flatout series of planes that GP makes. I doubt I would buy another one.

Liquidity
03-30-2008, 08:41 PM
However it is indestructible on G3

aviatordave
03-31-2008, 04:03 AM
I flew it today without the landing gear. I cut the gear off right under the wing. To protect the aileron servo on the bottom wing I made a skid from lite ply that hangs out about 1/2". I landed it a couple times right on the asphalt with no problems. It was pretty windy which sucked all the fun out of 3D flying.....but oh well. It lives to fly another day.

aviatordave
03-31-2008, 04:06 AM
However it is indestructible on G3

Thats how I fly. It would be like that in real life if we flew together....your plane on the ground in pieces and mine still in the air :)

shotgunsmitty
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I managed to go out again on Sunday and had a great day with it as well! The landing gear should come with a bottle of CA, that's for sure!

I've heard of a mod that upon initial build, one fella put the control rods, the servo, the arms, the whole control unit inverted and above the wing so on a belly land the wing would protect it somewhat.

So Dave, I'm looking at my next flattie when this one wears out. As you can tell, I love the bipes but I'm not anchored to them...what would you recommend for my next flattie?