PDA

View Full Version : procter nieuport 11 working cockpit

spikkkkkkkk
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM
here are some pics of my procter N-11 build. all cockpit controls work right down to the throttle. its all electric. every thing you see was fabricated by myself with the exception of the one brass instrument housing which was modified to accept a lens.

jb48
03-30-2008, 01:15 PM
WOW! It`s no small achievement Spikkkkkk. Wonderful work of patience and craftmanship. Welcome to Wattflyer very dedicated group.

firemanbill
03-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow! Awesome detail. What scale is it?

Welcome to Wattflyer too! Look forwad to seeing lot's more of that plane from you!:D

spikkkkkkkk
03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
it's 1/5 scale and will weigh somwhere between 7.25 and 7.50. its powerd by a rimfire 42-60-480 with a 70 amp speed controller with a 20" prop.

Saucerguy2
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Man, I was only just thinking about doing something like that, and you have gone and done it, setting a new benchmark in scale construction. Big thumbs up and great big WOW buddy, this is the stuff that makes history!!! Keep us updated on this one, I'll be awaiting!!!!

firemanbill
03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
it's 1/5 scale and will weigh somwhere between 7.25 and 7.50. its powerd by a rimfire 42-60-480 with a 70 amp speed controller with a 20" prop.

Very Nice. I have a 1/5th scale Waco But nothing of that detail!

spikkkkkkkk
03-31-2008, 08:22 PM
does any one know if the switch in the nieuport 11 was for the battery, and if not what was it for (magneto) ? it will take me 10 years to catch up to the abundance of knowledge you guys have. i'm new at this so forgive my lack of know-how.

FlyingMonkey
03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
I want to know when you're going to build the full scale version.

Saucerguy2
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
does any one know if the switch in the nieuport 11 was for the battery, and if not what was it for (magneto) ? it will take me 10 years to catch up to the abundance of knowledge you guys have. i'm new at this so forgive my lack of know-how.

I'm not sure what you mean on the switch, are you referencing a specific manufacturers model, or this build, was it a kit of some kind, I thought you fabricated everything yourself? This is a highly unusual type of RC plane, it's not done in the traditional means by any account, so you are spearheading this one.

There is alot we have all learned from these boards, I'm grateful for the old timers input especially, documenting what they know on all of the boards is very important, otherwise that knowledge would be lost. Stick around here long enough, you'll catch up, believe me, when you really get into it, it becomes an obsession and examples like the plane shown here is a prime example. What's going to happen next is someone else will come up with something even more elaborate to top it eventually, just because that's how we are, hehe. I'd think the very concept itself would have serious commercial appeal if you opted to go that route as well, ie. creating a kit with all of the cool dodad's in mind, prefabbed for those that don't have the time or skill to create from scratch.

firemanbill
04-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I think he means the switch on the original full scale aircraft.

I don't think they had batteries in them back then Spik. Hence the hand starting and such.

I'm no expert but my guess would be for a magneto, not batteries

spikkkkkkkk
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I want to know when you're going to build the full scale version.

i think you misunderstood me or being new to this hobby i wrote it the wrong way. i mean't 100% scale as in a model but every aspect to scale.
in other words a 1/5 or 1/6 scale and a exact working replica( no servos in the airframe) servos and RX would be in the pilot and the pilot would control the plane through a TX. the only thing that would be in the plane would be the battery which would be inside the scale fuel tank. every screw, bracket, wire, rivet, gauge, and even the wear on the seat from the pilots ass, etc. would be exact to the real plane. how about a little fire scarecrow.:silly:spikkkkkkkk

FlyingMonkey
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
No, I fully understood. I was just thinking with that much skill, you could do a full scale build some justice.

spikkkkkkkk
04-01-2008, 10:56 PM
here are some more pics of the build. the inside is done just got to put the la rone together and run the carburator linkage to the throttle servo then i can slap the top on and start the cowl lacing.

FlyingMonkey
04-02-2008, 12:30 AM
just one question...

where's the hot glue?

I don't/can't build anything without hot glue.

hillbille
04-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Extremely nice build. Most of us only aspire to this level - those with the patience just don't have the time and those with the time just don't have the fortitude or the patience and then of course there is the money. Do not be fooled either by the few posts to this thread but instead just watch the views. I mostly do well to just fly and in some cases I am able to have something that fairly resembles the dark shadowy outline of a scale plane if you see it from a distance and it is moving at a fair clip! LOL. Builds like this is the true definition of the word - "MODEL" - truely beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us.

Hillbille

degreen60
04-02-2008, 08:35 PM

It is probably a "kill switch" for the mag.

Saucerguy2
04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Extremely nice build. Most of us only aspire to this level - those with the patience just don't have the time and those with the time just don't have the fortitude or the patience and then of course there is the money. Do not be fooled either by the few posts to this thread but instead just watch the views. I mostly do well to just fly and in some cases I am able to have something that fairly resembles the dark shadowy outline of a scale plane if you see it from a distance and it is moving at a fair clip! LOL. Builds like this is the true definition of the word - "MODEL" - truely beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your progress with us.

Hillbille

I agree, I'd place this into the museum quality category, it's well beyond a regular model at this point, this one is making history folks!!!

delsol
04-06-2008, 05:05 AM
Spikkkkkkk
I can't believe the detail you have created in your plane. I have seen a lot of models on different web sites but nothing as detail as yours. I just started on a aerodrome Nieuport 28 1/9th scale. I wish I had your imagination when it comes to detail. Here's a couple of my recent pic's.
Brad

spikkkkkkkk
04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
DELSOL.

thanks for posting your pics they look good so far, and thank you also for the compliments on my build. i'm new at this just started building less than a year ago. you can find my first two builds on the areodrome site where you purchased your kit. kurt has really great kits and is a pleasure to deal with. look in there gallary for a fokker DV11 and a nieuport 17 you might be able to get some ideas from them. good luck on your build. spikkkkkkkk aka rob t. p.s. send some more pics when you get it covered.

delsol
04-11-2008, 03:31 AM
spikkkkkkk
I just looked at your planes you built on the aerodrome web site. What great looking planes you built.
I still have a lot to do before I start to cover but as much as I like the iron on covering I'm learning toward polyspan on this plane or at least trying it.
I'm a slow builder this time of year with everything going on but will post some more pic's on your thread as I make progress.
Brad

spikkkkkkkk
04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
here are some pics of the proctor N-11 windshield.

spikkkkkkkk
04-16-2008, 10:38 AM
lerhone pics nieuport 11

pburt1975
04-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Is this thread charging admittance? This is definitely a build I'd pay to watch. Awesome job Spikkkkkk.

So lemme see if I got this straight, The stick and pedals in the cockpit are hooked to both, the control surfaces and to a servo?

just unreal man!!!
Paul

Gnascher
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
How have I missed this thread?

What an unique talent (and patience) you have. Will you actually fly this bird? With your attention to detail, I can only imagine the maiden will be a non-event because I'm sure it won't even get to the airfield until your sure the CG is dead on and it's all in trim.

Hopefully you'll post a video soon of all those controls in motion.

spikkkkkkkk
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Is this thread charging admittance? This is definitely a build I'd pay to watch. Awesome job Spikkkkkk.

So lemme see if I got this straight, The stick and pedals in the cockpit are hooked to both, the control surfaces and to a servo?

just unreal man!!!
Paul yes, the servos control the cockpit controls and the cockpit controls control throttle, alrns, rud and elev. here are some more pics of the build, i was up all night working on the cowl laceing. think i'm gonna crash for awhile, thanks very much for the compliment.
rob

spikkkkkkkk
04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
i got a lot of work done this week here are a couple of pics.

spikkkkkkkk
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
i built another lerhone, this time i scratch built at 1/5 scale, the 1/6 they offered looked way to small and drawfed against the firewall. i built the crankcase and cover out of aluminum and used 18 WB 1/6 cylinders and chopped and sectioned them to give me a larger cylinder. every thing is bolted and glued or welded and glued for strength and the whole motor was balanced like a prop so it will turn like a real lerhone. i'm gearing the dummy motor and reducing the rpm's to 1050 so their wont be as much stress. here are a few pics.

7car7
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
absolutely beyond words. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Oh, is the prop on backwards? I love the new engine you made, I thought the other looked too small too.

spikkkkkkkk
05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
the prop was put on exactly the way the print showed and if you look at the picks on their site of the N-11 some have it one way and some the other as long as the air is kicking backward i guess i'm ok. but now you have me thinking check out the proctor site and tell me what you think. my motor being electric can go either way. thanks signed now you got me paranoid.

spikkkkkkkk
05-14-2008, 08:33 PM
absolutely beyond words. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Oh, is the prop on backwards? I love the new engine you made, I thought the other looked too small too. i just went down stairs and tried it and at less than 2/3 throttle i could barely hold it back even without wings, it, took every thing i had so i guess i'm ok.

Biplane Murphy
05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
i just went down stairs and tried it and at less than 2/3 throttle i could barely hold it back even without wings, it, took every thing i had so i guess i'm ok.

NICE!!!!

degreen60
05-14-2008, 09:35 PM
the prop was put on exactly the way the print showed and if you look at the picks on their site of the N-11 some have it one way and some the other as long as the air is kicking backward i guess i'm ok. but now you have me thinking check out the proctor site and tell me what you think. my motor being electric can go either way. thanks signed now you got me paranoid.

If you install a prop backward it will still blow the air the same way just not as hard. If you want to run the motor the other way you will need to install a left hand prop.

7car7
05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
You may very well have it on right, it would depend on if it has a side of the blade more concave on one side, and more convex on the other. If it's nuetral, I bet it could go either way.

I was basing my thoughts of it backwards just on seeing other WWI props - normally the curved edge is seeing the air first, and the straight edge is the trailing edge.

7car7
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I think you've got it right. Sorry.:red:

http://pix.aerog.com/photos/267908028_rku7B-L.jpg

Hotch
05-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Now THAT is museum quality! I stare in awe at each picture. Your work is masterful. I hope you bring a full cardiac crash cart with you to the field if you're thinking about flying that thing!

spikkkkkkkk
05-22-2008, 01:58 AM
i just finished the stab and rudder with the russian death head and crossbones here are a couple of pics.

7car7
05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Cool tail. Is that with a stencil and airbrush?

spikkkkkkkk
05-23-2008, 02:26 AM
it's a waterslide decal i made on my computer. i make them extra thin so they will look like paint, a real pain in the butt to apply thou. after it's applied i airbrushed the edges and feathered them in. nexti applied a coat of matte clear. when that was dry i ever so slightly sprayed/spattered a clear gloss to give the rudder some texture.

7car7
05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
wow. Thanks for sharing that.

teamgs
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Amazing work, and patience!!! :D

I am already puckering up, just thinking about your maiden flight....I would be a basket case at first takeoff.

Gary

spikkkkkkkk
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
thanks gary, just finished up the fuse all i have to do is a little airbrushing to wheather it a little. i'm just putting the upper and lower wings together now. mechanically every seems to work great. here are a few more pics. thanks again, rob

Grasshopper
05-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Absolutely beautiful spikkkkkkkk.

aviatordave
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Wow, I'm amazed at the detail.

I dont know about you, but I'd be afraid to scratch that thing.

spikkkkkkkk
05-30-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks dave, i'm going to be sh***ng my pants when that day comes, your looking at about 850 hrs of labor and on top of it i'm not the best flyer out there i'm fairly new at this, 8 months new so i might look for a surrogate pilot to do the maiden flight.

Hotch
05-31-2008, 04:39 AM
thanks dave, i'm going to be sh***ng my pants when that day comes, your looking at about 850 hrs of labor and on top of it i'm not the best flyer out there i'm fairly new at this, 8 months new so i might look for a surrogate pilot to do the maiden flight.

Whatever you do dude... LOTS of video.

dk_aero
05-31-2008, 05:05 AM
After following this thead and viewing the fantastic pics, video is a MUST!!!

I'm sure it'll fly as good it looks!

aviatordave
06-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I'd just like to see the controls move with radio inputs. ......first.

then the flight video.

holy cow, did you say 850 hrs?

spikkkkkkkk
06-13-2008, 05:23 PM
all i left to do is the upper wing, the lower wings and strus are done. here are some pics of the struts. i made the fittings from lithoplate.

aviatordave
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
So...when is the maiden?

spikkkkkkkk
06-18-2008, 04:38 PM
with any luck between 3 and 4 weeks.

7car7
06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
i made the fittings from lithoplate.

Love the struts, they even have "staining" from the metal fittings - at least it looks that way to me. Love the subtle patina you gave those.

I'm trying to figure out the black bands around the struts. Is that thread? I can grasp what's going on with the shorter verticle sections, with the black being perpendicular, but I'm confused by the black bands that are at an angle to the strut. How are those put on?

TylerJCooper
06-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Unreal, can't wait to see the finished product. Most amazing build I have ever seen!

spikkkkkkkk
06-18-2008, 08:23 PM
7car7 thanks for the compliments, as for the bands they are strips of aluclad ( same thing as flight metal ) burnished down and painted black and then clear top coat.

7car7
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
7car7 thanks for the compliments, as for the bands they are strips of aluclad ( same thing as flight metal ) burnished down and painted black and then clear top coat.

That makes sense now. Very nice. Thanks.

WingingIt74
06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Does the radial spin?

spikkkkkkkk
06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Does the radial spin? yup, sure does. i had to balance the motor just like i would a prop plus mostly everything is bolted, screwed, and welded for strength. in side that alum cylinder you see are the brushless motor and a gear reduction with a belt system attached to the rear of the outrunner. it brings the dummy motor down to about 1100 rpm from 7500.

Gnascher
06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
What a work of art. Your family must miss you.

spikkkkkkkk
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
the N-11 is finished, it came in at 8lbs 5oz and almost CG'd perfectectly and i plan to do the maiden this weekend. it took 7 months and roughly 1100 hrs but the work is over. i want to thank everyone here for there comments and support.here are a few basement pics.

aviatordave
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
You should submit this to MAN or FLYRC, we dont see works of art like this everyday -

7car7
07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
It came out just stunning. I really like the little details you've added. The airbrushing (or whatever you used) around the hinge areas - very cool. Sort of like oil stains from maintanence.

And that picture of the "girlfriend" - wow - that is too cool. I'll have to copy that for sure. ;-)

What are the sizes of your throws for this plane?

What incedence did you go with between the upper and lower wing?

spikkkkkkkk
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
oops!

7car7
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
1?
Is that 1 degree positive for both wings? Or what?

Saucerguy2
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Excellent job Spike, there will be no topping that build ever! On the incidence, if it's zero, it will still fly, be it not scale like. I proved that one with my Guillow's SE5a kit rc conversion, I even ditched the dihedral as well.

crashnburn
08-17-2008, 02:40 AM
Any updates?

7car7
08-21-2008, 05:27 PM
the N-11 is finished,....i plan to do the maiden this weekend. .

Well? How'd it go? Saw your new post about the Dr1.

aviatordave
08-27-2008, 04:26 AM
oops!

what happened?

delsol
09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Spikkkkkkkkk posted what happen over on RCG's !!
Not good at all.

aviatordave
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
whats the link? I cant find it

[edit - found link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839082&page=6#post10469074 ]

7car7
09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Rob, so sorry for the news. I sure hope you don't give up. We've all slammed a plane into the ground (most of us not with one close to yours mind you), and it's no fun at all. Most will know how you feel.

Don't be a stranger, you've got understanding ears around here.

aviatordave
09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
any news on the rebuild?

spikkkkkkkk
09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
yes it's coming along very nicely. i was lucky i had a lot of duplicate decals, horns, bellcranks etc. it should and i would like it to look like it never happened. i'm trudgeing away maybe a month or so before it's finished. BTW, thanks very much for asking. rob

degreen60
09-26-2008, 09:29 PM
How about a picture of the crashed plane? Or at least being rebuilt.

Biplane Murphy
09-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Great!!

I am glad to hear you are rebuilding her....:)

7car7
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
:tc: Very good to hear.

degreen60
09-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I crashed and crushed a wing tip on my plane. How about some pictures of how you are repairing the broken parts so I can get some ideas on fixing mine.

Saucerguy2
09-29-2008, 12:32 AM
I copied his post from ther, over to here:

"quote"

i took some fellow thread members advice and headed up to a flying feild hopeing to meet someone with some flying experience as i have none. 1st day dead, 2nd day dead, no one at all on the third day i met a guy up there with 10 years flying experience and asked him to do my maiden flight. he agreed. after a couple of hrs checking the CG and control throws etc. and making sure everthing was right which it was he started to taxi the plane down the runway and the plane took of beautiful. i was amazed and he was to how well it handled. i was noticing he was takeing gulps of JD out of a pint he had in his pocket so i asked him to bring it in. he replied in a minute. he then started getting a little over zealous and started doing rolls and all kinds of stunts which i thought was inapropreate for a maiden flight. needless to say this guy was hammered buy now and he lost control and MY N-11 HIT THE GROUND LIKE A METEORITE. all he had to say was too bad as he belched and left the field. it came down from 200 feet and suffered severe damage but being a proctor not as much damage as i thought. this guy didn't even try to regain control after he lost it. i was so pissed at this guys disrespect for me and my plane. it will take months to rebuild but some how i'll get it back to where it was. i don't blame anyone from certain threads for giving me this advice about going up to the closest flying feild, there intensions were good but where i live meteocrity is the norm. it seems like most people in this state including the governing portion don't strive to be the best and don't care that they are the absolute worst at what they do. so there you go kim. it took a long time to respond because i was deeply ashamed i should have gone with my instincts and kept the N-11 grounded until things were right. but there are not any good clubs up where i could have learned a few things from reputable members. i've sent many, many e-mails to a couple of different clubs for the past year and never once got a response. i will get my N-11 back to all its glory, this i promise.
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/buttons/privatemsg.gif (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&userid=194227) http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/buttons/find.gif (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php?do=finduser&userid=194227) http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10461274)
Spiiiiiike, I'd like to say I feel sorry for you, but I honestly don't, and you as well as a couple of your buddies know why, WF guys, I highly suggest not commenting on this statement. Regardless, I'll still leave you with some advice since I fly prototypes on a regular basis.

1st, you gotta become not only an expert at flying, you have to reach the point where you force it to stay aloft regardless of how screwed up the configuration is before even approaching flying something of such high caliber of a creation, or allowing someone else to fly it for you. All initial flights are done in progressive stages, stage one being, simply taking off, doing a few circles around the park and landing it, stage two will entail a loop or roll or two, stage three, if everything has totally checked out perfectly, you can push it a bit more, but honestly with a plane of that caliber, I would never stress test it to any degree that could possibly cause damage to it. Every roll, every loop, every take off and every landing you are pushing the limits G forces place on the airframe, so even with perfect flights, you are taking a risk of causing it to fail.

You absolutely have to be maidening your own planes, no if and's or butts, the only exception being if you happened to run into the likes of me at the field, where I'm used to flying untested platforms, and even then, I'd be extremely cautious about flying something the likes of which you created, knowing full well the amount of time you put into it and the fact, it's such a good build, I'd still be nervous regardless of the fact, most maidens I'm quite indifferent about.

That said, you will become a better builder knowing what to address since you have the experience on the sticks. I grew up building free flight planes, these RC birds are a different animal, the same will be when I build full scale.

My latest creation is going the direction you have taken, yet with a twist, it's being grown on the build table, no plans, no particular plane to mock it up after, just wwI fighter/bomber and it will be completely scale in appearance and function, ie. the pilot will house the servo's, and will be operating the plane with all of the scale elements in tact, just like back in the day.

CHELLIE
09-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Spikkkkk, I am So Sorry to hear that your plane went in at the hands of a JERK, that plane needs to fly again, By you, get a simulator and practice, and get a slow stick plane, and practice, practice, practice, Your Creation is a Awesome work of Art, and it will be again, Take care, Chellie

sheldo78
09-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I am also very sad to here about this. I have been following this tread since the beginning. Your N-11 is amazing, you are quit the craftsman. I would have to agree w/ Chellie in the sense that you need a slow stick and sim time. WW1 planes are not the easiest planes to fly as they require some mixing or the use of the rudder more so than other planes. Main thing is you should have been the one to lawn dart that plane instead of some ass you don't even know. I am a builder also, so I know how it fells to have more time than I want to admit in a plane, and to go out on a maiden and crash 25 seconds into the flight. But, I built it, I flew it (kinda), and I crashed it and it was great( kinda). Last of all I would like to say to anyone who is willing to test fly a plane for a fellow, 1st, **** HAPPENS (some things are out of our hands) but if you get the plane in the air and it is trimmed, then it is time to hand over the sticks or land the plane.PERIOD. I test fly planes for friends all the time, but when it comes to showing off I do that w/ my own planes. I am truely sorry for your lost!