PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my wings wet.

FlyingMonkey
04-01-2008, 01:00 AM
I have been wanting a plane that I could fly from the water for some time now. I decided to convert the Parkflyers.com Cessna 182 (http://parkflyers.com/html/cessna_182.html) that I received from USAF (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=173578). When I got it (for free) it was stripped down except for the brushed motor. I tossed that, and installed a brushless system. I removed the wheels and added floats. I cut the floats from some spare foam I had. I took the removable front wheel out, and bent up a new bracket out of a wire coat hanger. It slides right in the slot the front wheel came out of.

I decided to give it a try today. The first flight attempt was done at my flying field. I wanted to make sure it would fly with the floats on, over land, instead of water. It flew well. If anything, it was even more stable. I landed it, and tossed it in the car and headed for the pond.

The first flight attempt wasn't impressive. The floats were not enough to hold the plane out of the water enough to take off. I went home, cut another pair, and glued them on. I loaded back up and returned to the pond.

It was a little choppy, from the slight breeze. The wind helped it take off, by both giving me some extra lift, and breaking up the water surface. I broke free and flew it around a few circuits. Landing wasn't all that I would have liked it to be. It rolled when it hit the water. Luckily it was close to me, and I was able to wade out and retrieve it. The water got in the ESC and it decided it was all done flying. Fortunately I was able to dry it out, and everything tested out fine.

Another trip out with crabzilla, to show her how it flies was a little more eventful. I found that I was getting a bit of back spray hitting the prop. I tried swapping props, but the smaller prop didn't have enough thrust to get it up on plane. It takes a bit of thumb jiggling to ket the plane from the water, into the air.

I again got a couple circuits in. I brought it in for a landing. I was bringing it down, as it approached, I noticed it was too high, I gunned it at the last moment and watched it as it wizzed by. I took it way out over the water, and tried again. It was too high, so I dropped it, and leveled, and did it again. I touched down and it grabbed the water and flipped. It was a pretty good way out still, so I removed my wallet, phone and shirt, and dove in. After I brought it back to shore I gave the controls a try, then hit the throttle. Everything worked. After the first dunk, I got smart and waterproofed the electronics.

Crabzilla stayed in the car for all of this, but I know she was rolling her eyes. I shut her up by getting the plane into the air. This time the landing was better, if not perfect. I hit the water just off from the shore, and it slid up onto the sand.

The next couple of landings were perfect. Finally the battery started to lag and I called it a day. It was very enjoyable to have finally used an alternate medium runway.

smokejohnson
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
And..... ????

Gnascher
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Do monkeys swim?

I've got the floatplane jones going too. I just ordered th Aviat A1-B Husky from http://foxlitemodels.com. It's a Dave Blum designed model.

FlyingMonkey
04-01-2008, 01:53 AM
They did today.

Sorry James, I accidentally hit the submit key sequence on my computer, so I just kept adding to the original post.

stevecooper
04-01-2008, 02:01 AM
[quote=FlyingMonkey;385608]They did today.

monkey almost landed on the crabbie one With my float-plane, She did'nt bat a eye!! Think she's used to it by now!!! Hope to see ya again soon ( maybe SEFF) your bub, steve

firemanbill
04-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Congrats Fred. Sounds like a great day of flying!

Liquidity
04-01-2008, 02:19 AM
pictures?

FlyingMonkey
04-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks Bill. I have been getting a lot of flying in lately. I have an Eindecker that I mounted a movable FlyCamOne2 on. I am also flying a little Tigermoth 400 that I got from HodgeHound the last time I snuck up to Americus. I had been on the late shift at work, giving me my mornings to tinker and fly. I have been reassembling the planes that have been lying dormant for a month or two.

Bryan, pictures are coming, I just have to take them first.

smokejohnson
04-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Sounds like fun Fred. Good job :)