PDA

View Full Version : Alpha P-51 trim problem

jblloyd
12-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I have about 10 flights on my Alpha P-51 and I cannot seem to get it trimmed for level flight. When flying at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it wants to climb. I have moved the CG forward about a half inch in order to make it a little nose heavy but I still have to add about 6 to 8 clicks of down trim to get the nose down. I am running a MJ 28/7-35D motor, which is the one Hobby Lobby recommends so I don't think it is overpowered. I am assuming the incidence is correct since it is molded. Otherwise, this is a great flying little model.

Has anyone had this sort of problem with Alpha planes?

Thanks

Twmaster
12-27-2005, 03:54 AM
Perhaps shimming the motor for a hair of down thrust?

cyclops2
12-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Have you flown it with no power? How did it fly ? Balance it out for no power glides. THEN
Do the power shimming adjusting.
All models are going to have to glide down sometime. Have it balanced out by all controls at neutral and hand toss it in 2' to 3' tall field, till weight movement makes it a pleasure.
Then do the power shimming of the engine.
-
- Glide first then the motor shims.

jblloyd
12-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have not tried a "no power" glide, although it seems to glide at an acceptable rate when I have landed with no power. I will check out the balance by hand gliding it, as you suggest before changing the motor alignment.

cyclops2
12-28-2005, 01:48 AM
JB. The purpose of the test glides IN DEEP 2 to 3' grass is to get a nice smooth straight glide to the ground WITH ALL CONTROLS LOCKED in NEUTRAL.
This is a risky thing.
Balance it at or in between the 2 specified CG point-s in the shop.
Then the neutral tosses.
USE DUCT TAPE to hold the battery in place.
Make VERY sure the surfaces are at level, if the surfaces have flat bottoms.
I put a stick across them as a good check.
Again the hand tossing is risky, till you find a speed that gives the right amount of power for gliding.
Cheeses! DO NOT DO THIS ON A SLIGHTly breezy day. Almost dead calm is best.-----ONLY toss into the wind.
You will have to probably reset all the clevises when ok.
I start my tosses at about 2' above the grass. Then as confidence builds go higher.
You will get it so perfect, that you think of flying a glider later.

Fighterpilot
01-01-2006, 03:39 PM
All of these Alpha Models have built in positive incidence in the wing. Naturally the faster they go, the more they will climb. As per Alpha's instructions, I have found that putting about 2mm of up trim on each aileron aids in dumping some of the positive lift generated by additional speed. With this done, the airplane does not have as much of a tendency to climb as you increase speed. I'm currently flying the Alpha Corsair and the Alpha Nakajima with the above set up and neither airplane is difficult to fly straight and level. If it starts to climb at the speed you're flying, do like full scale pilots do and roll in a little down trim.

arck
05-05-2006, 07:04 PM
How is with the recommended Hobby lobby motor or witch motor you suggest for this plane P 51 Alfa Model
thanks

Fighterpilot
05-06-2006, 01:31 AM
I have the blue jet outrunner motor and the airplane's performance is great.

Fighterpilot
05-06-2006, 01:40 AM
I balanced all three of my Alfa models at the recommended balance point and went out and flew the airplanes. Get somebody else to toss it on the maiden flight and trim out the airplane. Once trimmed, you can toss it yourself to get it airborne. As I said above, all of these little models have positive incidence built into the wing, so the faster you go, the more she'll want to climb. Trimming it for level fight with a hand toss without power into high weeds will not make it stop wanting to climb as you increase the speed with powered flight. It is basically a waste of time and effort. Build it, balance it, go fly it, and trim it as needed. These little airplanes fly great and track very well but there tendency to climb with added speed is a function of the wing incidence built into the fuselage, which you can do nothing about. Doing as the instructions say (you did read those didn't you?) in having each aileron trimmed up about 2 mm will help deminish the aircrafts tendency to climb at higher speeds.

arck
05-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Some of our field pilots recommends the red one,,, which is the best for this warbird,,,has anybody prove the red AC 28/7-30D Outrunner Brushless rather than the AC 28/7-35D Outrunner Brushless Motor? ,,,,

Fighterpilot
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I have the Blue Jet Outrunner motor and run a 9x6 SF prop on the airplane. Performance is outstanding, drawing less amps than the Red Outrunner motor. I can get 18 min. of flying on a 1320 3 cell lipo if I don't run wide open the entire flight. Half throttle is more than fast enough to do any manuever you want. At full throttle it will got straight verticle. The guys at Hobby Lobby recommend the Blue motor.

watt_the?!
05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
wrt the corsair, i fly with the blue outrunner now...but flew the stock setup at first and it flew very well also.

t. edwards
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Another option is to mix some elevator with the throttle. Tom

jblloyd
05-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the great advice but I'm sorry to say my little P-51 has gone to the great airport in the sky. Remember, check the model on your transmitter before launching aircraft.

K CLOSE
05-20-2006, 01:50 AM
JBLLOYD- That SUCKS. I wish I could say that I've never made the same mistake, but I would be lieing. At least you can replace it, I forgot to reverse a servo once (elevator) and wrote off my now impossible to find Scoripo Albatros. I'm sure everone here can feel your pain to one degree or another. Kinda solves the climb under power problem though huh?

flypaper 2
05-21-2006, 02:13 PM
The climb under power can be cured with enough downthrust. Just keep adding downthrust till it will keep a straight heading with any power setting. Have a GWS Zero that had the same problem. To much incidence and not enough downthrust. All of them did this and downthrust and raising the wing trailing edge were the fixes.

Fighterpilot
05-21-2006, 09:17 PM
If you put too much down thrust, when you chop the power, the airplane will immediately climb before losing airspeed.
Lost my Nakajima because I forgot to change model memory. Won't do that again....at least not for a while.

arck
06-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Finally got mine, the Marie one, one red mpjet, one fenix 25 amp esc , two hs55 servos, one 3 cell lipo 1350mah 20 C and one berg4L receiver, what's next??,,,building?,,,hope we do all well,,,,

arck
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
My first experience with the alfa p51 was horrible, I told a friend to hold the plane 25 grades up, then full power, full up elevator, the plane made a loop near the ground, the result was the nose totally break :( , the mpjet its OK, I trying to fix the nose with epoxi at home but its difficult because the weak foam, WHAT could happened, any suggestions to repair the nose?, why the plane immediately made an incontrolable loop?,,, any opinion?

arck
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Here is the result of a bad first attempt....

flypaper 2
06-13-2006, 03:17 AM
Neutral elevator on launch would have been fine. it's the full up that did her in. Hot glue gun works well on foam, although epoxy works well too.

arck
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks flypaper2, yes it seems the full up elevator was the problem, I will try this Saturday with neutral elevator as you advise, could you give me your setup trim in aileron and elevator please?,,,,

flypaper 2
06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Goes for preflight for any plane of conventional configuration. Eyeball the plane from tail to nose. Ailerons should be level with the bottom of the wing or a bit of up on both if anything. Looking at it from the side, the elevator should be parallel with the stabilizer. Launch the plane with the wings perfectly level with the nose about 10 degrees above the horizon. Keep it at that 10 degrees with the elevator till you get it about 75 to a 100 ft up, throttle back to level flight before you start playing with the trim levers. Lots of luck:p

arck
06-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks, so the elevator should be trim level with the stabilizer, nothing up, the two aileron's should 2mm up, 75 % throttle I think, the toss with 10 degree's up,,,,,, allright, wish me luck,,,,

alienx
06-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I got my 5th flight on this plane this morning. I finally got it trimmed to a point where I could let it fly without stalling all the time. I am using a fair amount of down trim. I trimmed the elevator to what looks like neutral at the linkage. But I have to add a relatively large amout of clicks of down at the radio.

The plane is probably about as fast as my e-flite P47. The mustang uses a 9x4.7 SF prop, so I am not as fast as some people are flying it. But that is fine with me.

This plane is more nimble (or less stable) than the e-flite. That's not necessarily bad though. I felt like this pane is just higher performance. I had a hard time doing clean loops because the plane was difficult to keep in line while I was pitching up and over. I may need some practice!

I got 10 minutes on my TP 1320 and came in at 11.32 volts, mostly at about 2/3 throttle. The landing was very smooth and uneventful. Set-up on final and trottle back to anything below about half, and the plane glides in. I chop the throttle just before I flare so the prop isn't under power when it hits the grass.

I think this Alfa is now officialy in my flightline!! I have two more 1350mah batteries coiming this week, so I can finally get more than one flight a session with this plane.

Good luck Arck.

arck
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks Andy, since there isnt more problems with the receiver election we told in the other tread, I think we could continue our conversation about the Alfa P51 in this place , now we both have trim problems, as I had told, my plane has the mpjet red version with gp 3 cell 135omah lipo battery , on Saturday I flew 4 times the only issue is the I couldn't give more than half throttle, more than that the plane begun radically up and up, although I put the two aileron's 2 mm up, my plane need extra down trim to fly level, after the repairs It finished in 510 grams, so I needed to sent the battery very behind to have the center of gravity under good conditions,,,what is better nose heavy or in level with the horizontal plane, outside of everything it is a good airplane and I am very happy.

alienx
06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
It looks great in the air! It's a very nice looking plane even if P51s are not my favorite. You just have to love the aggressive attack look of it after a while.

Yours sounds just like mine. I made sure I wasn't tail heavy. I think I am actually avbout 1/4"-3/8" forward of the actual factory balance point. But this was just a rough finger tip check after I kept moving the battery forward to try to get the tail higher in the air. It flies pretty nicely I guess, but I have to believe the airframe is "dirty" with all the control surface trim built in to get it to fly level.

Somebody suggested to me to try to shim some down thrust into the motor. I am going to do that next time I fly to see if it helps. I'm also going to go up to a 9x6 prop from the 9x4.7 that I use now. The speed is becoming addictive!!

The only other thing I am going to do is swap out the spinner. I bought a Dubro one in red because my spinner cone pops off and gets chopped by the propeller anytime I throttle more than about 50%. I even tried to tape it to the base plate but it still came off. My new spinner should be here today or tomorrow.

Put up some video if you have it!!

arck
06-22-2006, 04:53 PM
It looks great in the air! It's a very nice looking plane even if P51s are not my favorite. You just have to love the aggressive attack look of it after a while.

Yours sounds just like mine. I made sure I wasn't tail heavy. I think I am actually avbout 1/4"-3/8" forward of the actual factory balance point. But this was just a rough finger tip check after I kept moving the battery forward to try to get the tail higher in the air. It flies pretty nicely I guess, but I have to believe the airframe is "dirty" with all the control surface trim built in to get it to fly level.

Somebody suggested to me to try to shim some down thrust into the motor. I am going to do that next time I fly to see if it helps. I'm also going to go up to a 9x6 prop from the 9x4.7 that I use now. The speed is becoming addictive!!

The only other thing I am going to do is swap out the spinner. I bought a Dubro one in red because my spinner cone pops off and gets chopped by the propeller anytime I throttle more than about 50%. I even tried to tape it to the base plate but it still came off. My new spinner should be here today or tomorrow.

Put up some video if you have it!!
Hi Alienex, I put a little silicon grease between the cone and the plate and to have more secured some clear tape around, for the moment works for me,,,,I'm thinking when I understand and have the skills to fly this kind of plane I will buy another but I don't know which of them, maybe the Alfa P47D,,,

alienx
06-23-2006, 03:31 PM
That grease may have helped, or just more tape too. But I have a nice Dubro spinner on my porch now so I'll swap it out.

I got two more flights last night and it was a little breezy. I feel really good about this plane now. I've flown it 9 times without crashing or having to make some other maintenance repair on it. It's great to have a plane that you can just grab and go flying!!

I definitely think it needs a 9x6 now. And I may even increase my throws a little. I feel pretty comfortable flying it. Now I just have to work out the thrust issue. But my E-flite P-47 is back in the flightline as of last night too, so that will get some airtime.

arck
06-23-2006, 03:55 PM
That grease may have helped, or just more tape too. But I have a nice Dubro spinner on my porch now so I'll swap it out.

I got two more flights last night and it was a little breezy. I feel really good about this plane now. I've flown it 9 times without crashing or having to make some other maintenance repair on it. It's great to have a plane that you can just grab and go flying!!

I definitely think it needs a 9x6 now. And I may even increase my throws a little. I feel pretty comfortable flying it. Now I just have to work out the thrust issue. But my E-flite P-47 is back in the flightline as of last night too, so that will get some airtime.

Yesterday arrived my new two 1500 cell balance lipo battery from electrifly, There are more thin than the old 1350 from the same brand without balance, will see how it works on Saturday,,,,Hey Andy did you made the down incidence in the motor, if so how it works, maybe that is the problem,,,,

alienx
06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Yesterday arrived my new two 1500 cell balance lipo battery from electrifly, There are more thin than the old 1350 from the same brand without balance, will see how it works on Saturday,,,,Hey Andy did you made the down incidence in the motor, if so how it works, maybe that is the problem,,,,

I haven't done it yet. I got home from a long day of work and was just happy to be able to grab the plane and run out for a couple sunset flights. I got one full battery (10 minutes) and then a 5 minute flight on the second pack. I was getting bumped around a little so I ended up on a good approach and just decided to power back and let it land. I was surprised how well it flew in a little wind. Not difficult to control at all. And peeling off of an upwind leg to downwind was lots of fun!!

I want to try to shim it either tonight or maybe tomorrow. I want to balance two new props too. The 9x6, and I was just reading a review of the Wildcat and now I want to try the 8x6 as well. It should be faster with that prop than the 9x4.7 I use now. But I should probably make one change at a time, so we'll see how it goes. I guess the spinner will be tonight and then if that doesn't change my babalnce characteristics too much, I would like to do the motor shim next. Then I can mess around with the propellers once I get the trim dialed in!

I have to find someone that doesn't mind getting up at 5 AM, to come and take some pictures for me. The planes are great to watch. I felt very comfortable last night doing so,e low passes for the first time with this plane. It looks great!

arck
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
You fly at 5 AM,,,wow,,,than in the evening,,,,Where do you live,,,,my field is 30km far away from my home so I must wait until Saturday,,,,well we have a field 5 km (Ghandy Park) too, but is for sailplanes,,,not good if my plane came down in a manoeuvre,,,,

alienx
06-23-2006, 04:44 PM
That's some nice looking property!!

Yes, It has been too windy here since I got into the hobby in February. I have a few local parks or school fields right near my house that I can fly at at different times of the day, but it is always best in the morning before the wind comes up. Even 10-12 mph is a little un-nerving for me, so I generally don't like to fly during the daytime. And the parks become full of people playing soccer (futbol?) and softball and whatnot during the day. So morning just seems to be the best.

I have a flying permit to a legitimate flying field not too far from me but I haven't taken a plane there yet. There is another member in here that has invited me out to help me fly a little, but it has always been too windy those days for me to make the trip. It's tough when you have other things competing for your time!! I'm also very happy to fly alone and not have to deal with the pressure of flying with other people in the air. I'll have to deal with that sooner or later though because I want to fly some larger planes they won't work very well in my local parks.

I may try to set up a video camera on a tripod this weekend if the weather isn't too bad. I too would love to see what the planes look like when you don't have to worry about flying them. But it is supposed to rain all weekend. That's partly why I snuck out last night for a quick flight. I wasn't sure if I could get out this weekend.

arck
06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
After 4 successful flights I didn't realized the change of the wind direction, I hope to be able to fly next Saturday without crashing.

Here is the link: Crash P51D (http://www.rcperu.com/galeria/details.php?image_id=29&sessionid=7209ddd6a85e3f36a3fdb5b097cea40b)

arck
06-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Andy could you please sent me the size of the spinner you bought, I lost my cone too,,,,
thanks

alienx
06-27-2006, 02:51 AM
Andy could you please sent me the size of the spinner you bought, I lost my cone too,,,,
thanks

Sorry about the crash. It was hard for me to watch the video knowing what was coming.

The spinner size is 2" but don't buy one. I got the Dubro one but it is almost an ounce, so I am not using it. I can't see putting that much weight on in just one part like the spinner.

I did see one that looked exactly like the Mustang one. I think it was at Hobby Lobby. But it was black. I think you could use it that way, or sand and paint it. My red paint has come off a lot so it must be easy to get it to come off if you try.

Search that site for "light weight spinner" and you should find it. Incidentally, I am flying mine without the cone on. I got tired of it hitting the prop! I may put it back on once I get the prop figured out. I still want to try a few other sizes but it rained here all weekend. I did shim the motor though, so that will be my first modification to try before I swap the prop.

Sorry again about the plane.

EDIT: Her ya go.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/spinners.htm

Check out the Hobby Lobby ones towards the bottom of the page. They come in red for about $2 bucks. They look just like the Alfa ones from what I can see. I guess I will have to get one myself now too. But I would email them first to make sure they are light.

arck
06-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks Andy, its was hard to me too,,,,about the spinner there are many of them, which of them, I think the HLHS150 Spinner 1-1/2, could fit,,,,,send me some pics of your Alfa,,,,,

alienx
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks Andy, its was hard to me too,,,,about the spinner there are many of them, which of them, I think the HLHS150 Spinner 1-1/2, could fit,,,,,send me some pics of your Alfa,,,,,

This is the one HLHS200.

It is definitely 2". Measure the base plate at the part the is closest to the cowl. I'll get some pictures of mine tonight or tomorrow. I've been working alone all week and can't get out of here very early.

I'm sure 1.5" would fit, but it will be more narrow than the front of the plane.

alienx
06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Ok, here are a few pictures. You can see the paint that the prop took off the spinner. I also put one shot of the tail. This is how much down trim I need to fly level at mid throttle. It's actually 5 clicks less than that. I took five clicks back to neutral because I shimmed the motor and was afraid to launch it with all the down trim still in the radio. So I backed out five clicks, or maybe half of what I had trimmed in.

Andy

arck
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi Andy, I almost finished with The p51D,,,but his pretty look has gone,,,,I had to glue the motor mount with epoxy,,,, I'm considering another,,,,,

arck
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok, here are a few pictures. You can see the paint that the prop took off the spinner. I also put one shot of the tail. This is how much down trim I need to fly level at mid throttle. It's actually 5 clicks less than that. I took five clicks back to neutral because I shimmed the motor and was afraid to launch it with all the down trim still in the radio. So I backed out five clicks, or maybe half of what I had trimmed in.

Andy

Yours looks good,,,did you measure the angle of the elevator?,,,,,

alienx
06-28-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm impressed with your ability to put that back together again. I wouln't worry about the look too much. Think of it as a work horse now! Fly it fast and furious and don't worry about if it gets scuffed in the car or whatever.

I did not measure the angle because it didn't really seem to matter. I just kept adding down until it trimmed it out.

You have the red MP Jet, which in theory is faster or more powerful than mine. I base this on the Kv rating,which is higher. So all else equal, your prop should be spinning faster and generating more forward movement. Maybe that's why you can launch underhand. I may be able to do that too but never felt like I had enough power to try. I have a 50/50 chance of getting in the air this weekend. If I can, I hope to test the shimmed motor and maybe try a different prop or two.

PS. If you run a hot hair dryer over that Alfa, it will take some of the wrinkles out. BE VERY GENTLE though. It's a fine lline between fixing the wrinkles andd melting the plane.

arck
06-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Great tip,,,I will try this afternoon and will post the final shots after the flight this Saturday,,,,what about the Alfa P47, its better than the p51?
I see in your pics many warbirds,,,,which is your best,,,,

alienx
06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Great tip,,,I will try this afternoon and will post the final shots after the flight this Saturday,,,,what about the Alfa P47, its better than the p51?
I see in your pics many warbirds,,,,which is your best,,,,

So far, the bigger E-flight P47 is the most fun to fly. But it takes more work to keep it in the air. I don't mean to actually control it, it's just not built very sturdy. So I've had to modify things just to keep it flight-worthy. But it is rock solid in flight. And it is more the size I would like to own at 39" wingspan.

I want every P47 I can find now after flying my E-flite. I think the Alfa might be next. And they have a razorback version coming soon too!

I have to say though that the Alfa is a very nice plane. Very easy to build and a nice size to fly in a small park if you need to. At first, I thought the small size would bother me, but I've gotten used to it.

The other one is a Parkzone P51. I liked it a lot compared to my Parkzone Cub but it is really a big fat toy after you fly a real model. I'm going to try to sell it and I only have four flights on it. But it served it's purpose which was to help me move up the experience scale slowly!!

Hobby Lobby has a sale going on now where you can get $25 off on $150. But I am trying really hard to keep from buying another plane until I use some of the other ones I have. I want to remaiden my Cessna 182 (42" wingspan and made of covered balsa). And i have a GP Lancair that is almost done but Ii put it on hold while I was flying these warbirds. But now I have the itch to finish them and fly them. I really want to be able to enjot the rolling take-off and landing that you can't get with a gearless plane.

Stay tuned.

alienx
06-29-2006, 03:33 AM
I got my 10th flight on the P51 tonight. That's a record for me. I can't believe how enjoyable it is to have a plane I can grab whenever the wind is down. All my others I either crashed and had to repair or wait for parts, or like the P47, just needed maintenance all the time.

The flight went very well. The shim I used on the motor did nothing!! Not sure how much I should have shimmed it, but I used a piece of balsa about 2mm thick behind the mount. Whatever that works out to in degrees I can't say. I ended up putting all 5 clicks (maybe 6) back into the down trim. It flew like normal after that.

I got 10 minutes on a 1350mah battery and then put 650 mah back in. So I guess I have another minute or two on the flight times if I want it.

I'm going to put a 9x6SF or an 8x6SF on it and see what it flies like now that I know the shim didn't do anything. I'm going to try both those props eventually, assuming they give a decent result on my bench run-up. I think I am right around 9 amps with the 9x4.7, so the 9x6 should put me right about 10 amps I guess, which seems like a sweetspot for the motor if I remember correctly.

Testing continues!!!

arck
06-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Great my friend, I finished mine,,,Will try tomorrow,,,,,,look my spinner,,,,is from my ascent

alienx
06-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Man, you have some building skills!!!

Good luck on the re-maiden!

Gonna try mine in the morning on an 8x6. On the bench, I got 40% more power out of that prop. Should be pretty fast.

arck
07-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Hi Andy, my re-maiden was a completely success,,, here is the video (http://www.rcperu.com/galeria/details.php?image_id=30&sessionid=1f88fc7646352aff64410851d7974967) ,,,,,

alienx
07-03-2006, 03:03 AM
Excellent job! It looks like the P51 flies very well. You must have done a good job rebuilding it.

I bought another Alfa Friday. I got the P47 Chow Hound. We may have to start another thread soon!!

Congratulations on the good flight!

arck
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Excellent job! It looks like the P51 flies very well. You must have done a good job rebuilding it.

I bought another Alfa Friday. I got the P47 Chow Hound. We may have to start another thread soon!!

Congratulations on the good flight!

Great Andy, warn me when you start the P47 thread, I'm thinking to buy another Alfa maybe your P47,,,,,good decision,,,,, thank you to accompany me in to the adventure of the p51, I will be attentive to your new comments of the p47,,
Werner

alienx
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Great Andy, warn me when you start the P47 thread, I'm thinking to buy another Alfa maybe your P47,,,,,good decision,,,,, thank you to accompany me in to the adventure of the p51, I will be attentive to your new comments of the p47,,
Werner

It's crazy isn't it. I can't stop buying planes. I want the Corsair too, and the razorback P47 that is coming out soon.

My E-flite flies so well that I wanted to try another P47. The plane will be here Wednesday and the other parts will be coming in a day or two later. I guess I could have it done by the weekend!

Stay tuned.

PS. Check out my other thread under this one. You can see a little of what my "field" looks like. This is the place I go most mornings at 5am!

arck
07-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Its a hobby or an obsession,,,I bought last Friday the V-diamond form HL I cant resist,,,,,80 bucks!!!!

Next project the p47 form Alfa, but in this buy with blue motor,,,?
First I need to take out of some decoration from my hangar,,,,to much airplanes, less time to fly....

alienx
07-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Ha, I guess we are all the same!!! That V Diamond is pretty crazy. Should be a great plane when it comes in. Looks like September though.

If you get the P47, I would go with the red motor again. I guess the blue one is good enough, but I wish I had a higher amp rated motor in mine so I could go with a 9x6 prop. That's what I would have done but I have two of the Esskay 400XT's coming and I want to try one of those in it. If it works, I'm sure I will use the other in the Corsair next time Hobby Lobby runs a sale.

I too have to get a few planes out of my hanger. I have a feeling that is going to get worse!!!

arck
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Ha, I guess we are all the same!!! That V Diamond is pretty crazy. Should be a great plane when it comes in. Looks like September though.

If you get the P47, I would go with the red motor again. I guess the blue one is good enough, but I wish I had a higher amp rated motor in mine so I could go with a 9x6 prop. That's what I would have done but I have two of the Esskay 400XT's coming and I want to try one of those in it. If it works, I'm sure I will use the other in the Corsair next time Hobby Lobby runs a sale.

I too have to get a few planes out of my hanger. I have a feeling that is going to get worse!!!

The only thing that I can say is that these mpjet motors are the best thing that they have invented,,,, I had dropped the plane many times, everything brakes less the motor, I recommend it a hundred per cent,,,, How are the Esskay 400XT for the money isn't a bad idea ?,,,,

See you in your next threat
werner

WWI Ace
07-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey guys!!! I found a way to keep from having too many planes "cluttering" up my hangar. I started building balsa kits. It takes me so long to finish one that I've usually crashed one of the others. The new kit built plane just slides into the crashed planes spot!!! Steve.

alienx
07-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Hey guys!!! I found a way to keep from having too many planes "cluttering" up my hangar. I started building balsa kits. It takes me so long to finish one that I've usually crashed one of the others. The new kit built plane just slides into the crashed planes spot!!! Steve.

That's funny! You have a ton more patience than me though!! I have three half finished ARFs laying around and I still buy new planes. Everything in its own time I guess, right!?

WWI Ace
07-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Balsa kits take alot less room to store also!!! Steve.

arck
07-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Me too, I don't have time to build kits, with my work, my children, my wife, my house and my hobby the only time that I have is to assemble ARFs and fly, the questions is, how many we need to be satisfied,,,,when we buy a plane that fill our requirements they sent another to the market,,,,,how fast is this, but the pretty thing in that is that we always find new friends that are always to help us in this adventure.

alienx
07-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Me too, I don't have time to build kits, with my work, my children, my wife, my house and my hobby the only time that I have is to assemble ARFs and fly, the questions is, how many we need to be satisfied,,,,when we buy a plane that fill our requirements they sent another to the market,,,,,how fast is this, but the pretty thing in that is that we always find new friends that are always to help us in this adventure.

True. This has been a cool hooby. Everyone on this site has been friendly.

I got two more flights on the P51 this morning. I really like that 8x6 prop on it. It flies so well now that it is trimmed. I am getting really nice slow rolls and better control on my loops. And I did my first inverted flight today. Almost crashed twice but the third time worked out better.

Lots of fun.

WWI Ace
07-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Hey Alienx, I fly a Alfa Corsair, (the one with the yellow nose) with a red MP Jet outrunner. I use a APC 8x6 and a TP 1320mah lipoly. Outstanding performance. I fly with some guys that fly flat 3D foamies and the speed of my Corsair at full throttle scares the crap out of "em!!! Alfa's are great planes!!! A little pricy though. Steve.

alienx
07-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey Alienx, I fly a Alfa Corsair, (the one with the yellow nose) with a red MP Jet outrunner. I use a APC 8x6 and a TP 1320mah lipoly. Outstanding performance. I fly with some guys that fly flat 3D foamies and the speed of my Corsair at full throttle scares the crap out of "em!!! Alfa's are great planes!!! A little pricy though. Steve.

Yep, that Corsair is on my next plane list (near the top). And Hobby Lobby has Flying Field phtos of the razorback P47 already, so that can't be far from being for sale in the US. But I will be ok with the P51 and bubble P47 for a while.

Do you know what kind of watts/lb you are making on that red motor with the 8x6? I have a slightly mellower Kv rating than you, and I am still making around 150 watts/lb. You are correct though. It flies great.:D

Edit: You know, I could never really warm up to the $119 bucks for the Alfa's. But I've gotten my two on sale for $99 and $95, using HL sales. And if you consider how easy they go together (and the fact that you don't have to put the tail on!!), I feel ok about the discounted price. But I won't be paying $119 for any of the future ones either.

arck
07-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Edit: You know, I could never really warm up to the $119 bucks for the Alfa's. But I've gotten my two on sale for $99 and $95, using HL sales. And if you consider how easy they go together (and the fact that you don't have to put the tail on!!), I feel ok about the discounted price. But I won't be paying $119 for any of the future ones either.

Mine costs 99 too, Im still waitinig another HL sale from the Alfa,s, due the customs fees, they add 33% if the plane cost over 100 dolares,,:mad: , so by the time I will have a good time with my scratch P51.

alienx
07-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Mine costs 99 too, Im still waitinig another HL sale from the Alfa,s, due the customs fees, they add 33% if the plane cost over 100 dolares,,:mad: , so by the time I will have a good time with my scratch P51.

That sucks! I only got the P47 because I was waiting for another one to go on sale like the P51. Then HL had the $25 off of $150 sale, so that was just as good for me. But I guess that doesn't help you because the plane still costs $119.

But they aways have some sale going on lately, so stay tuned.

arck
07-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Yes it sucks and expensive too, 160 dollars plus shipping,,,,need a HL sale or death,,,,last month I Mailed Mr. Ke in Hobby lobby to asked about the Stinger its a new plane, and if they had thought to made a sale of it, he answered me that maybe next month, I will ask again about the p47, maybe we are lucky,,,,

alienx
07-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Hey Werner,

My chow hound is at the house. It should be waiting for me on the porch when I get home (unless one of my neighbors has been admiring my planes from afar a gets to it first!).

All the servos and motors and receivers I ordered are coming from different places. They should trickle in over the next couple days. But I will probably start a new thread soon anyway. I'm sure everyone has seen this plane already but it might be good to have a flight log thread or whatever! Plus, it's the only way I can stare at my planes when I'm at work!!

Andy

arck
07-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Werner,

My chow hound is at the house. It should be waiting for me on the porch when I get home (unless one of my neighbors has been admiring my planes from afar a gets to it first!).

All the servos and motors and receivers I ordered are coming from different places. They should trickle in over the next couple days. But I will probably start a new thread soon anyway. I'm sure everyone has seen this plane already but it might be good to have a flight log thread or whatever! Plus, it's the only way I can stare at my planes when I'm at work!!

Andy
Congratulations Andy, please tell me how it arrive and your first impression when you arrive at home,,,,,,

arck
07-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Hey Andy I found a web that sell the P51 all wood for 54+ dollars, what do you think,,,,,

here is the link: http://www.ak-models.com/ep51Q.htm

alienx
07-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I actually think it looks like a nice deal. I saw it a while back and thought it was an exact copy of the Alfa. I didn't remember it being balsa though, which actually seems like a good thing.

But this one has a slightly different shape in the nose and tail sections versus the Alfa. I'm not sure which is more accurate, but I would think maybe the Alfa. It also looks like you have to glue the entire tail on, which is always a nightmare for me. I can never get a plane that isn't warped or twisted in some way. But at least the wing is one piece, so you save a little work there. I actually like the P51D on the site. I like the look of the paint job. And they have a Spitfire, which I actually may have to try when it comes back in stock. In the meantime, they have a Zero available.

It's a really good price, and the shipping is not too expensive, so I might have try one. The spitfire is something I've wanted to add to my hangar, and even the zero would be cool. And they are balsa, so they may hold up a little better than a foamy.

You've got me thinking now. I may end up having to spend more money!!

PS. My motors and servos haven't come yet for the P47. So all I've been able to do so far is put on the decals. I'm painting the pilot as we speak. Hopefully that stuff comes by Tuesday. But I am going on vacation next Friday so this will probably have to wait until I come back.

arck
07-07-2006, 11:23 PM
It would be a nice idea instead the Alfa,,,,,,I'm thinking about it,,,,,
Will search in the forum if someone had flown it.

alienx
07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
It would be a nice idea instead the Alfa,,,,,,I'm thinking about it,,,,,
Will search in the forum if someone had flown it.

Do you want another P51, or one of the others. I hope you get one and let me know ho wyou like it. If I didn't have the P47 on the workbecnh now, I probably would have gotten one. The Spitfire and Zero were slightly larger than the Alfa too, which is a good thing in my mind.

Keep me posted.

arck
07-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't know which of them,,,,neither which of them is the best,,,,,don't see an email to ask the owner some questions,,,,,

arck
07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Do you want another P51, or one of the others. I hope you get one and let me know ho wyou like it. If I didn't have the P47 on the workbecnh now, I probably would have gotten one. The Spitfire and Zero were slightly larger than the Alfa too, which is a good thing in my mind.

Keep me posted.
Andy I found the thread, let see about them,,,,,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387322&highlight=akm+

alienx
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Looks like everyone likes them. If I didn't have a plane on the table now, I would have to get a Spit or a Zero, or maybe even the P40. The price is right!!

Grasshopper
07-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Hi Alien, I have ordered the Spitfire, the P-40 and the P-38. (the P-38 is the raidentech P-38 52") I actually cancelled the P-40 later. After looking at it closer, it just didn't look quite right to me. Too far away from scale. I thought the Spit was borderline on scale looks but still looked good so I ordered it. Of course the P-38 just looks tough. I can't wait for these planes to get here but it's going to be a while.

Tom

alienx
07-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Hey Tom, keep us posted. I am very interested to see the planes when you get them. I agree, the P40 is a little more off than the others. None of them really struck me as scale. But they seem like a really good bargain and a size a little larger than an Alfa too. I love the P38 but am just not ready to deal with a twin. I love that size though. Do you plan to have a build thread?

Andy

PS. feel free to post in here. I think Werner and I have pretty much taken over this thread to swap our own P51 stories (among other things). Seems like there just isn't much traffic in this site anymore.

Grasshopper
07-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Thanks Andy,

I thought about starting a build thread on them. I haven't seen one here on the Spitfire. I read the one over on RCU and it had a lot of good info that I've book marked. The P-38 has had a couple threads on it here but I might anyway. It will be my first twin so it will be interesting. It will probably be at least a few weeks before I get the Spit and maybe a couple of months on the P-38.

As far as P-51s go, I think I'm about to the end of running the Parkzone batteries in mine and will be changing it over to Lipos. Kind of anxious to do that to add a little more zip to it. Eventually, I'm going to pull the PZ guts out of it, go brushless and put it on my DX6 radio.

arck
07-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Hey Andy, Grasschopper, my AK spitfire is coming,,,,will post all the pics when I get it,,,,heeewuaa.

Ps: Saturday I flew the Alfa 5 times,,,made some loops and rolls,,,,it a good plane,,,,,

Grasshopper
07-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Good deal arck!!!! Let us know what you think of it when it arrives. Glad you had a good day with the Alfa. I didn't get to fly much this weekend. I flew my PZ J3 Cub with the new LED lights on it a few times again this evening. It's pretty cool flying at dark.

alienx
07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Great!! I am excited to see what you guys get. I may need that spitfie when I come back from vacation too!!

arck
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks all, although it tooks to weeks to reach my home I'm really excited, if you go through this forum we have many problems and issues with the alfa P51 but in this moment and thanks Andy and others I can say that if you know all the mods that have this plane you will finally pleased with their characteristics, it is very resistant, I have dropped it many times and it continues flying, it is incredible, now I will prove with one of balsa we will see how it goes,,,

alienx
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm really interested in the balsa aspect of these planes. I have enough foamies now to satisfy me for a while. I know when I crashed my balsa Cessna, it held up well. The only damage was the cowl and the motor mount, which I had already modified. It broke on my modification. I think it will be great to have a warbird parkflier that doesn't get damaged so easily.

Put up some pics when you get it!

White or camo??

arck
07-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Its the camo version, looks more scale, the only think I'm not sure if the red motor will hold this plane with the same characteristic as the Alfa,,,,hummm
My Alfa setup is: red mpjet, 1500 20c lipo, silver 25amp ESC, two hs 55,,,,I have one 2100 20 c on my bench but maybe its to much weight.

alienx
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
Its the camo version, looks more scale, the only think I'm not sure if the red motor will hold this plane with the same characteristic as the Alfa,,,,hummm
My Alfa setup is: red mpjet, 1500 20c lipo, silver 25amp ESC, two hs 55,,,,I have one 2100 20 c on my bench but maybe its to much weight.

Looks like you should be fine. I like the Camo one too. The model is listed at 17.8oz, so the MP Jet should do fine, I would think. You may need the 9x6 prop. Looking forward to seeing your build photos. I can't remember seeing what the motor mount was like.

PerlAddict
07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Just watched that crash video ... ouch. Do you normally launch your planes from an underhanded throw? Because the way that fellow was throwing it, it's got a pretty likely chance to curve left on take off. Wind aside, that seems like a risky launch regardless.

Just curious if that's how you typically throw it, and if so, why do you prefer that rather than an overhand toss?

arck
07-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Just watched that crash video ... ouch. Do you normally launch your planes from an underhanded throw? Because the way that fellow was throwing it, it's got a pretty likely chance to curve left on take off. Wind aside, that seems like a risky launch regardless.

Just curious if that's how you typically throw it, and if so, why do you prefer that rather than an overhand toss?

Hi PerlAddict, that day was awful, I asked two club members that never had launched this kind of plane plus the crossed wind, you knew the result, after that I lunched the plane overhanded, although in the re-maiden video (http://www.rcperu.com/galeria/details.php?image_id=30&sessionid=70b994fb4e3b378779e9f964feb3cffc&sessionid=70b994fb4e3b378779e9f964feb3cffc) we toss underhanded, will make another this Saturday with some loops and rolls,,,,

arck
07-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Looks like you should be fine. I like the Camo one too. The model is listed at 17.8oz, so the MP Jet should do fine, I would think. You may need the 9x6 prop. Looking forward to seeing your build photos. I can't remember seeing what the motor mount was like.

I'm flying with the 9x6 SF, The actual weight 520 grams,,,,on Saturday I flew with a friend that have an M-109 .25cc, only could say that this Alfa fly with the same performance as the 1/2A, 8 minutes flight on full throttle, all the crowd said OHH, AHH,,,,,I'm very happy,,,,,

arck
07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I resolve the up incidence only with down trim and 2mm up both ailerons,,,,Lunched with all trim center, the plane flew straight up and fast then full down trim and it begun to level, in full throttle need to put a little more down with sticks,,,,with this mod I could fly all the time at full,,,,,

alienx
07-11-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm flying with the 9x6 SF, The actual weight 520 grams,,,,on Saturday I flew with a friend that have an M-109 .25cc, only could say that this Alfa fly with the same performance as the 1/2A, 8 minutes flight on full throttle, all the crowd said OHH, AHH,,,,,I'm very happy,,,,,

Yea, that MP Jet should be pretty nice with a 9x6. That has to be making close to 200 watts. I'm making about 170 with the slower MP Jet motor (the blue one). So if you get near 200, that's about 133 watts/lb. Should fly pretty sweet. That's just about what my Mustang is at and I fly it at 2/3 throttle or less most of the time.

arck
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Yea, that MP Jet should be pretty nice with a 9x6. That has to be making close to 200 watts. I'm making about 170 with the slower MP Jet motor (the blue one). So if you get near 200, that's about 133 watts/lb. Should fly pretty sweet. That's just about what my Mustang is at and I fly it at 2/3 throttle or less most of the time.

Today I spoke with Alex from AKM by phone, he told me that the spit came with a stick mount so we need to make a new motor mount for the mpjet, I told him the possibility to ship the plane with the mount for my plane, so it will be evaluate, great!!!

arck
07-27-2006, 12:58 AM
Here is my fresh link for my new AKM Spitfire,,,,,All are Invited to follow the link:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=91234#post91234

Ramones The
08-07-2006, 02:04 AM
I had the problem of excessive climb during middle to high throttle. I put 2 washers, as noted in the picture, and now it flies really well.

alienx
08-07-2006, 02:18 AM
Man, I have at least that much shim in the top, with no change. Well, that's based on the fact that after I untrimmed it five clicks for launch, I had to add back 5 clicks to get it level again. So no change in flight characteristics. I may have to try one more washer to see if it changes things.

arck
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Man, I have at least that much shim in the top, with no change. Well, that's based on the fact that after I untrimmed it five clicks for launch, I had to add back 5 clicks to get it level again. So no change in flight characteristics. I may have to try one more washer to see if it changes things.
Hi friends, I toss the plane with full down elevator, the motor does the rest, my flights are all the time with this mod, it compensates the up issue from this plane, this was mas best solution,,,,,

BTW: Hey Andy I started building the spit yesterday, its easy, I will try finish it until saturday for the maiden,,,,,how was your new bird.

Grasshopper
08-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey arck, will we get to see pictures of the Spit assembly? Mine is supposed to arrive next Monday.

alienx
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi friends, I toss the plane with full down elevator, the motor does the rest, my flights are all the time with this mod, it compensates the up issue from this plane, this was mas best solution,,,,,

BTW: Hey Andy I started building the spit yesterday, its easy, I will try finish it until saturday for the maiden,,,,,how was your new bird.

Yea, I'm looking forward to seeing that one. The guys at your field should love it after seeing the Mustang buzzing around!!

My P47 is done as of last night. Check out my build thread below. I had a lot of small issues getting this thing balanced. All in all though I think I am happy with how it worked out. Just a little too much work for an Alfa though. But it really looks good, and seems pretty strong. I had to handle it pretty roughly to perform all the motor and battery mods. Not a mark on it now though. It handled it well. I hope it flies as good as it looks on the bench!

We may be in the air with maidens at the same time Saturday.

Good luck!

arck
08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey arck, will we get to see pictures of the Spit assembly? Mine is supposed to arrive next Monday.
Ok, GH I will take some pics of the building, yesterday I started with the tail and elevator, the only problem I had is please do not glue the hinges of the elevator until it is in the fuselage slot, I glued the hinges first and the result was that the elevator doesn't fit in the hole where is supposed to be ARGGG,,,, need to trim the fuselage somewhere to get the elevator in his position,,, in this moment I stopped the building and went to bed,,,, today after work I will figured out what I can do,,,but in a quick look the building seems to be easy,,,
wm

arck
08-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Yea, I'm looking forward to seeing that one. The guys at your field should love it after seeing the Mustang buzzing around!!

My P47 is done as of last night. Check out my build thread below. I had a lot of small issues getting this thing balanced. All in all though I think I am happy with how it worked out. Just a little too much work for an Alfa though. But it really looks good, and seems pretty strong. I had to handle it pretty roughly to perform all the motor and battery mods. Not a mark on it now though. It handled it well. I hope it flies as good as it looks on the bench!

Good luck!

Its pretty Andy, looks good, this will my next plane,,,,
All my field friends are surprised of the flying performance of the Alfa P51, although it looks like he came from a war and it was run over by a truck it continues flying, its incredible,,,,

arck
08-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey GH your spit is form AKM or ALFA???,,,

arck
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Good luck!

Good luck too, this is really fun,,,,,,,

Grasshopper
08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey GH your spit is form AKM or ALFA???,,,

It's from Richmodels. I think it's the same as the AKM. Here's the link to it.

http://www.avia-richmodel.com/english/Products_View.asp?ID=238

arck
08-07-2006, 11:22 PM
It's from Richmodels. I think it's the same as the AKM. Here's the link to it.

http://www.avia-richmodel.com/english/Products_View.asp?ID=238

Ohh right I didn't recall,,,I will post some pics tonight,,,,,

arck
08-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Here are the pics of the building, you can see what I was talking about,,,

Grasshopper
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the pics Werner. Too bad about the tail but looks like you did a good job fixing it. Do the landing gear come installed? I probably won't use them since I fly off grass most of the time. Mine will most likely be a belly flopper.

Tom

alienx
08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the pics Werner. Too bad about the tail but looks like you did a good job fixing it. Do the landing gear come installed? I probably won't use them since I fly off grass most of the time. Mine will most likely be a belly flopper.

Tom
I'm going to have to belly land mine too (when I get one!!).

Nice save on the tail Werner. I've done similar things. I cut my hinges and then made new slots for a reglue. But your solution is very smart!

arck
08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks,,, I decided to put the landing gears because the bottom of the plane is too weak, if he touch a little rock on my grass field I think he will puncture somewhere,,,,all the fuselage is covered with monokote or something,,,,
wm

arck
08-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey guys if you decided to install the landing gears is not removal, all its epoxied in place,,,,,

alienx
08-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Werner, I killed my P51 this morning. I am so bummed out about it. I found the pilot next to the wreckage so I guess he ejected low and saved himself. It was like one of those airshow manuevers that goes bad. I was too low and moving in the wrong direction and couldn't pull out. What an idiot!

I only got 24 flights out of this plane. i'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe take a break. Maybe it was fate. I started to build my Cub last night and made some good progress. The Mustang may have gotten jealous, who knows!?

Andy

arck
08-14-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi Andy, sorry to here that, but in your place I will fix it with epoxy,,,,it will fly my friend, try it,,,,,,
werner

alienx
08-15-2006, 02:53 AM
Hi Andy, sorry to here that, but in your place I will fix it with epoxy,,,,it will fly my friend, try it,,,,,,
werner

I'm going to give it a shot ...I've got nothing to lose right!?

First though I'm going to finish my P47. There was something wrong with the linkage in the wing so HL is sending me a new wing. I hope to be able to fly it finally this weekend.

Also, I got motivated to build my Cub. It was a really bad model. It came with lots of warped parts. The tail was terrible. I got frustrated and just put it in my front room for a long time. But I took it out this weekend and made a lot of progress. I ended up shimming the tail and lined it up as best I could. I didn't worry too much about it being perfect. I just wanted to get it built and fly it. I bought a Park 450 for it, but I think I may stick with the "keep it simple" approach and just build it and maiden it with the tiny brushed motor that came with it. We'll see. It is going to weigh about 22 oz but it has a 47 inch wingspan, so I hope it's a floater. I'm going to see how big and low pitched of a prop I can put on the motor. I want it to fly big and slow!!

Here's how it looks now.

alienx
08-17-2006, 02:23 AM
I didn't intend to turn this into a build thread but I made some more prgress on the cub while I was waiting for my P47 wing to show up. I really just need the motor to show up so I can mount it and see what the balancing is going to be like. It's starting to feel like a plane though so I am getting excited about flying it. I ordered some different control horns for the wing, some big slow props, and the motor. They should all be here tomorrow. Then I can get the motor in and get the cowl and windshield on and see what it looks like.

Right now, it is about 13.25 oz. The motor swap should be even, so if I add about 3 oz for the ESC and receiver (and some other small parts like aileron linkages, the cowl and windshield and whatnot), that puts me at about 16.25 oz. The rest is just battery unless I'm forgetting some other important part. So the 1350 mah that fits stock weighs 3.65 oz. AUW about 20 oz. If i try to find a way to put a 2100 in it, that adds about 2.5 oz, so AUW someplace in the 22-23 oz area. It should fly I guess. My E-flite P47 is 24 or 25 oz and flies pretty well with that motor.

Who knows, this plane just may get from the "can't build" pile to the air.

arck
08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi friend, on Saturday I lost my Alfa in the great ocean pacific, I try to fly near the sea next my field suddenly the plane make a roll maybe due the wind and sunk in the sea, the waves did the rest, all my gear, battery, servos, motor, were lost,,,,,,,,,,bye alfa P51,,,,,,I'm considering for my next project to buy the Alfa P-47 Razorback its in my wish list for Christmas,,,,
wm

alienx
08-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi friend, on Saturday I lost my Alfa in the great ocean pacific, I try to fly near the see next my field suddenly the plane make a roll maybe due the wind and sunk in the see, the waves did the rest, all my gear, battery, servos, motor, were lost,,,,,,,,,,bye alfa P51,,,,,,I'm considering for my next project to buy the Alfa P-47 Razorback its in my wish list for Christmas,,,,
wm

Man that sucks! I feel bad that you lost all the electronics! That plane owes you too after all the times it tried to kill itself in front of you.

Mine is still in a pile on my hallway floor. To be honest, after flying the Chow Hound, I am in no hurry to repair it. The P47 is such a nice flying plane. I wanted the razorback but didn't have the patience to wait. But I have to imagine it flies exactly the same as mine.

I've stopped coming here recently. I felt like I was talking to myself. So I saw that your Spitfire is almost ready. Good luck on that maiden. I'll be lurking the other site to see how you made out.

arck
08-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Man that sucks! I feel bad that you lost all the electronics! That plane owes you too after all the times it tried to kill itself in front of you.

Mine is still in a pile on my hallway floor. To be honest, after flying the Chow Hound, I am in no hurry to repair it. The P47 is such a nice flying plane. I wanted the razorback but didn't have the patience to wait. But I have to imagine it flies exactly the same as mine.

I've stopped coming here recently. I felt like I was talking to myself. So I saw that your Spitfire is almost ready. Good luck on that maiden. I'll be lurking the other site to sea how you made out.

Thanks Andy, I have learned a lot with this plane, I recommend it but never, never fly over the sea with this foamys, the superficial winds will kill the plane and your wallet,,,As you say it tried to kill itself in every flight,,,,there is something that it,s certain it is a great plane and a very good design all my falls they have always been for my fault and not for the plane,,,,,so I will buy not another p51 but one Alfa more maybe yours or the new P47,,,,,,
BTW,,,, my spit is 90% ready for the maiden this weekend,,,,will post some pics and a short video,
wm

Grasshopper
08-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey arck,

Really sorry to hear about your plane. As Alien says, that Sucks! I have a PZ P-51 and an E-flite P-47. The P-47 is by far the best flyer and my favorite of all mine. I'm looking forward to hearing about you Spitfire. I'm expecting mine to arrive this week.

Alien, hate to see you leave the forum. You've always been a positive member. Maybe no one is reading this thread any more since it's been mainly the P-51 and all the rest of our conversations. Stick around man!

Tom

arck
08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey arck,

Really sorry to hear about your plane. As Alien says, that Sucks! I have a PZ P-51 and an E-flite P-47. The P-47 is by far the best flyer and my favorite of all mine. I'm looking forward to hearing about you Spitfire. I'm expecting mine to arrive this week.

Alien, hate to see you leave the forum. You've always been a positive member. Maybe no one is reading this thread any more since it's been mainly the P-51 and all the rest of our conversations. Stick around man!

Tom
Thanks Tom, but I wont leave the thread, I will stay with you and Andy here or in another forum,we have something in common, the electric flight and these foamys that are wonderful and of course the friendship ,,,,,thanks again for your continuous support,
werner

alienx
08-22-2006, 06:36 PM

Tom

Hey Tom, Thanks. I must say I am a little sad about it too. I learned a ton (almost everything I know about the hobby) in here. I don't think I ever received a negative response in spite of all the noob questions I asked (and there were a boatload of them, trust me!).

But if you just look no further than the threads in here, the list has hardly shifted order in a few weeks. And there are certainly no new threads to speak of. I wonder what happened. I put my own P47 thread up (I know you participated), but nobody even really came back and got involved in spite of almost 400 views. I'm not particularly hurt by that, it just seems like a waste of energy to try to post in here anymore. Half the fun of the forum is the commraderie (sp?) right!!

So I'm off to the other places that talk about electrics. We'll see if anything is happening over there. But thanks for the kind words.

Andy

Grasshopper
08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey Tom, Thanks. I must say I am a little sad about it too. I learned a ton (almost everything I know about the hobby) in here. I don't think I ever received a negative response in spite of all the noob questions I asked (and there were a boatload of them, trust me!).

But if you just look no further than the threads in here, the list has hardly shifted order in a few weeks. And there are certainly no new threads to speak of. I wonder what happened. I put my own P47 thread up (I know you participated), but nobody even really came back and got involved in spite of almost 400 views. I'm not particularly hurt by that, it just seems like a waste of energy to try to post in here anymore. Half the fun of the forum is the commraderie (sp?) right!!

So I'm off to the other places that talk about electrics. We'll see if anything is happening over there. But thanks for the kind words.

Andy

Andy,

What ever your ambitions or endeavors are, best wishes. Drop in every once in a while.

On a brighter note, my Spitfire arrived today! Can't wait to get started on it. I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the kit.

Werner, I do see your point about not wanting to belly land it though. I'm not sure how the skin will hold up. I may have to make some gear that are a little more scale looking. I just can't bring myself to putting those yellow spoke wheels on a warbird. I'll at least have to paint them silver and maybe make some covers to mount on the wires. We'll see.

arck
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Andy, I am very grieved by your words, but buddy, I gave a read to your thread and its very good, I congratulate you, I believe that it is necessary to take out this forum ahead in general ` for mainly that its devoted exclusively to electrics, from the moment that I arrived all the people here was kind with me,,,something that I don't received in others forums,,,,I hope to meet you in your thread or other forums,,,,,

Tom, congratulations for your new plane, you see what I told you, it is very delicate for below, I find your idea of painting the wheels excellent,,,,,will attempt it,,,,,,

XxOoCoBrAoOxX
06-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi guys I was looking into hobby-lobbys planes and came up on the alfa models and am really interested in buying the p-51 mustang. It looks so cool and I just want to get my hands on one really bad! Should I use the recomended parts that go with the combo??

-Thanks!!

scalercflyer
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Can anybody give me the equivalent motor size/number from hobbycity? Thanks