PDA

View Full Version : The World Models P-51

RCBobby
12-27-2005, 05:07 AM
I just purchased a P-51 EP from The World models.com. It arrived Thursday and I have been working on it between Turkey dinners. It is an impressive ARF. Covered with a film similar to Monocoat.Very straight airframe,balsa and liteply, and a 400 geared motor is included. The one downside is that to access the battery you have to remove the airscoop, which is screwed on, then remove the wing.(2 screws) I am thinking of making a hatch. I know this must be a stupid question, but I have asked it at hobby shops and haven't gotten a straight answer yet. Can I put an external switch on the battery that would take the amperage and where can I buy such an animal? That way, I could leave the battery in the plane for charging, or is that a bad idea?

cyclops2
12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
You can charge in the plane. IF it is not left alone for a minute. Is done where a wrong charge rate causing a battery fire and plane fire will NOT spread to anything else.
I know you knew the right answer, by the last few words of your post.

GroundImpact
12-28-2005, 05:48 AM
That's a great flying plane, I'm on my second (first one was rebuilt after a sever meeting with the earth, I went from a Parkzone Cub to the p 51 with brushless power and was shocked at how easy it flew. Very nice plane.

C.

qban_flyer
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I just purchased a P-51 EP from The World models.com. It arrived Thursday and I have been working on it between Turkey dinners. It is an impressive ARF. Covered with a film similar to Monocoat.Very straight airframe,balsa and liteply, and a 400 geared motor is included. The one downside is that to access the battery you have to remove the airscoop, which is screwed on, then remove the wing.(2 screws) I am thinking of making a hatch. I know this must be a stupid question, but I have asked it at hobby shops and haven't gotten a straight answer yet. Can I put an external switch on the battery that would take the amperage and where can I buy such an animal? That way, I could leave the battery in the plane for charging, or is that a bad idea?

My two cents worth.

If you are using Li-Pos, heed their warnings and charge outside the model. I have seen a few models that have been modified by cutting in a hatch for battery access purposes.

It is not a good idea to charge Li-Pos while they are not visible and inside a tight, enclosed space. Li-Pos need to watched while under charge.:o

RCBobby
12-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I am beginning to get the picture. I think I will try and cut a hatch cover access in the fuse and take the battery out and charge it. That will solve all of my problems. Nice to know the plane flys well.

qban_flyer
12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I am beginning to get the picture. I think I will try and cut a hatch cover access in the fuse and take the battery out and charge it. That will solve all of my problems. Nice to know the plane flys well.

I will be the easiest, most elegant and safest choice you can make.:)

Every World Models plane I have ever owned has been a great flyer, whether electric or slimmer. Their P-51 is a superb model. :D

jonjoe25
01-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Hi Guys

Does the World Models p51 come with a brushed or brushless motor? What motor and battery setup would be good for this plane to upgrade?

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 01:47 AM
It comes with what appears to be an inexpensive Speed 400 type motor and an equally inexpesive gearbox plus an inexpensive folding propeller based on the photo of the model on their web site. By inexpensive I mean run of the mill cheap components. Just what one would expect to find in an electric ARF where a motor is included. EDIT: Too bad they opted for the easy way out (from the manufacturing point of view) landing gear wise. Having them mounted on the wings would have given the plane a much nicer look.

An AXI, JETI ESC, APC propeller and Li-Pos would be a good start if performance and reliability is what you are after.

http://theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanedetails.php?airplaneid=114

http://theworldmodels.com/para/products/airplanemodels/parts/E194.jpg

From their web page:

Key Features Scaled park flyer fabricated with top quality balsa / plywood and covered with genuine heat shrink covering. Strong wood structure and tough covering give the airframe the best load to weight ratio and capability for further power upgrades

Full house controls ( aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle ) extend maneuvering limits and deliver scale flying.

Fully symmetrical airfoil enhance aerobatics performance.

Comes with geared speed 400 motor and propeller.

Strong and light pre-painted fiber glass cowling.

All necessary hardware and accessories provided, including the Ultralite pilot which greatly enhance scaled look without weight penalty.

Specifications:
Code No.:E19
4Wing Span:39.5 in / 1000 mm
Wing Area:282 sq in / 18.2 sq dm
Flying Weight:26 oz / 740 g
Fuselage Length:34.5 in / 880 mm
Requires:4-channel radio w/ 4 micro servos, 20A ( 8 cells ) speed controller, 8 cells 1000 mAh battery & charger.

GroundImpact
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
The set up I'm using: Himax Outrunner 2816-1220, Castle Creation Phoenix 25 speed controller, Thunder Power 2100 3s Lipo and a 10*4.7 slo fly prop. This gives the plane run times in the 10 to 12 minute range, ability to go fully vertical, it will literaly jump out of your hand if you hand launch! I have two other friends that have bought and used the same set up after witnessing my plane in action.

C.

RCBobby
01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I am far from being an expert in this hobby but that seems like overkill to me. I am flying a 3 Lb. plus Fokker Tri Plane and I don't have that big of a pack. I think its a 3c 1500 MA pack and I don't have any problem flying it. The thing I guess I wasn't thinking about is that I am comfortable with a scale speed appearance in flight.

GroundImpact
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
I am far from being an expert in this hobby but that seems like overkill to me. I am flying a 3 Lb. plus Fokker Tri Plane and I don't have that big of a pack. I think its a 3c 1500 MA pack and I don't have any problem flying it. The thing I guess I wasn't thinking about is that I am comfortable with a scale speed appearance in flight.

It is overkill, but I got tired of underpowered planes not being able to fly in anything but dead calm. With the power set up I have now it is able to almost hover. Flying it at half throttle gives me the scale flying characteristics that you speak of...but when you do a low fly by and then go to full military power and pull up for some victory roles the extra power is a beautiful thing. I am NOT an expert by any means, I am a complete and total novice...this set up just allowed me to get comfortable knowing that if I screwed up I had a good reserve of power to get me out of trouble.

C.

gotime242
01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Pics?