PDA

View Full Version : Major Screw Up

Kosh
04-03-2008, 04:35 AM
I changed out prop on a new plane that had a counter rotating prop on it before. The new prop spun the wrong way and the wires were soldered in place so couldn't be fixed in the field. Who knows what the heck I was thinking because it was surely one of the dumbest moves I've ever made.
Without thinking it over I flipped the switch to the throttle and reversed it. ::o

The plane instantly hits full power in reverse and heads down the runway backwards and impresses everyone there. So there I stand with my mouth open and my brain locked up as it gets farther away from me. At about 100' I reverse the throttle and that cuts the motor thankfully. :o

Now I've had more than my share of bad ideas but this one takes the cake and its hard to top I hope. You understand the reason I'm sharing this so it doesn't happen to someone else but most of you already know better. There was no damage to the plane or anyone but there sure could have been so I consider myself lucky this time. :D

Don't try this at home, Kosh

max2112
04-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm glad it stayed a "no damage / no injuries" mistake Kosh.

Man! WFO in reverse! That must've been something to see. :)

buzkil
04-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Hey kosh, I'm glad to hear that the plane was undamaged and no one got hurt. But thanks for the best laugh that I had all night. The picture that I had imagined of you standing there when you did the deed and the look that may have been upon your face made me laugh out loud. Expecialy the part you said about "everyone was impressed". I bet the first thought that went though your mind was "What the _ _ _ _?". But don't feel bad, It's happend to me once, just not with a reversed prop or intentionaly trying to reverse the motor through the controler. I was sitting a my kitchen table setting all my throws and had to reverse the eleron channle but didn't noticed that I had switched to the throddle channle. That was the planes first madin, right off the table and into the wifes house plant. She still dosen't know about that!!;-)

firemanbill
04-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes it is a good laugh! Only because no one was hurt though... no harm no foul so to speak.

I can just imagine the look on your face! LOL :Q I've had my fair share of those types of things happen to me as well, don't feel like the lone ranger!:o

Glad everything is ok and thanks for sharing. Maybe next time someone is in a rush that stroy will stick in their mind!

CHELLIE
04-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Thats Ok Kosh :ws: I have seen your flying videos, and you fly better going Backwards than you do going Forwards :D Just Kidding, Take care, Chellie

Kosh
04-04-2008, 03:55 AM
There may be some truth to that. :p

Airhead
04-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Geez,
sounds like something I would be involved with. Glad to hear no one was hurt. I'm sure it was quite a sight. Especially the look on YOUR face..::o

Thanks for sharing so we can avoid this kind of error..

pstrdenver
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Kosh,

I did the exact same thing a couple of days ago thinking I was reversing the rudder. However my prop was spinning in the right direction so now I have a plane full speed taking off and my TX is in program mode with the throttle in reverse mode. Talk about freaking out.

Just have to say...GLAD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

idealhobbies
04-11-2008, 01:23 AM
I accidentally did the same thing today on my Funjet. Was changing the expo on my DX6 and was scrolling through the menu and hit the wrong button. Busted the prop (last 6x4 doesn't that figure) and messed one of the motor magnets. STUPID!