PDA

View Full Version : First Corona flight

Hammmike
08-09-2005, 02:32 AM
I finally got the nerve to spool up my corona today. The first battery pack I just let it slide around the driveway.The second pack I lifted it a couple of times and slid it around the rest of the pack. I am running a single conversion receiver that I had laying around. I am still waiting for the new Bergs. Here are a couple of pics. It was a blast. I need to build a set of training gear beI finally got the nerve to spool up my corona today. The first battery pack I just let it slide around the driveway.The second pack I lifted it a couple of times and slid it around the rest of the pack. I am running a single conversion receiver that I had laying around. I am still waiting for the new Bergs. Here are a couple of pics. It was a blast. I need to build a set of training gear before I try it again. I was suprised at no cutoffs or interference with the cheap receiverfore I try it again. I was suprised at no cutoffs or interference with the cheap receiver

luc
08-19-2005, 10:00 AM
yoou should be happy with the corona,..a great trainer..with lots of hop ups...

rokjr56
08-24-2005, 03:17 AM
hey where did get 500 fuse? thanks rokjr56

luc
08-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Ed (Darth) sells them
http://darthdrk.4t.com/

Ron
12-30-2005, 02:00 AM
Had my first Corona flights today...YIPPEE... I thought I'd try a " test hop"
or two before I got it set up by an " expert"..but it worked so nicely that I spent the entire afternoon flying it..it's my second heli...first was a " micro" ......it sure is harder/more slippery to fly than the Corona..I can do stuff with the Corona already that I can only dream about doing with the Micro heli...what a great beginners machine.

jimmi
01-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Hi Ron

I had a corona about 8 years ago but it was fuel powered. I had a hard time trying to fly it. I could fly it but it was yo yoing all the time. Up and down motion. I had a few friends who flew it too and it was a bare to fly. My friend did manage a loop on it which wasn't the prettiest loop but it did do one.
I know the one you have is electric but I wouldn't think from fuel to electric wouldn't be that much diffrent in its flying charactistics or is it? I like to know how the electrics fly today. You mention that the micro was alot harder, but I have a micro cp blade and find flying it pretty stable with no winds. I still see the same frames on the corona but has anything else changed much? Jimmi:cool:

Had my first Corona flights today...YIPPEE... I thought I'd try a " test hop"
or two before I got it set up by an " expert"..but it worked so nicely that I spent the entire afternoon flying it..it's my second heli...first was a " micro" ......it sure is harder/more slippery to fly than the Corona..I can do stuff with the Corona already that I can only dream about doing with the Micro heli...what a great beginners machine.

Ron
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Blade is more " slippery" , and isn't good in a breeze......I have found the Corona to be very good and getting better as I'm starting to get it dialed in..seems that I go along for a while trying to get it under total control, then I will realize that if I change something slightly, it might fly better, and sure enough it does. I don't think that anyone can get it set up perfectly right off the bat, but instead it's a learning thing...I had to learn to fly, setup the machine, trim, etc. etc. Now I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It flies well ( in my opinion ) and it seems very tough, so that is a good point....I have only been playing with helicopters for a couple months 2 1/2 to be exact, and have so far been fortunate enough to get really good information and some assistance from this forum..so far I'm the only person in my area who is crazy enough to try flying one of these. I would say the Corona is a great beginners heli. I fly mine on mega brushless and 3S4P lithiums ( 8000 mah ) and it gives me 45 min in the air per charge. ( timed it the other day ) after the Blade it comes a little easier with a larger machine. I still fly the Blade, but only in the driveway when it's dead calm out.It also is a very tough machine.
If the Corona is hard to fly, it either isn't set up properly, or you just haven't got it together yet...it takes a little fiddling to get it set up right.

Butuz
01-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I wish i could find the Corona for sale in the UK :(

Butuz

Ron
01-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Butuz....why not go to www.litemachines.com (http://www.litemachines.com) and see if they will ship for you?....It likely can happen, and you will not regret the effort. The only non stock mods to mine are brushles motor, and I have made a battery tray under the canopy so that batteries can be changed without taking the canopy off.I just had to extend the gear legs by an inch .
I think the only spares you may need are boom, a couple tailrotor gears, I hear they are prone to breakage, main shaft and main gear..but I can't swear to it because I have been fortunate and so far have broken nothing on this heli. It is a great beginners model, and once set up properly will literally hover for seconds at a time hands off.

jimmi
01-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Just to answer your question Ron on my setup of my lmh or flying it. I along with 2 other 3 D pilots bought the lmh. We fiddled with it for weeks and flew it alot, and alot of us flew it with minimal problems. But with all the expert setup and all the fiddling we did. I say expert because the other 2 pilots were and I was an intermidiate flyer back then. We all agreed that the lmh was just to tempermental especially with that norvel 6 back then and the arlton gyro. And we all sold ours within weeks of each other. A few people I knew took that arlton gyro off and put on a piezo I did not on mine. And saw some improvement in flying but other then that I still didn't like the way it flew. And I agree that the CP blade will fly nice in calm weather, if its windy watchout!!!! Jimmi:cool:

day ) after the Blade it comes a little easier with a larger machine. I still fly the Blade, but only in the driveway when it's dead calm out.It also is a very tough machine.
If the Corona is hard to fly, it either isn't set up properly, or you just haven't got it together yet...it takes a little fiddling to get it set up right.

flypaper 2
01-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Jimmi:
Just converted an old LMH 100 from the .060 to electric and was wondering where you find parts for the updates. Just put on a gyro today and uncoupled the arlton gyro. Flew it about 6 times but still trying to keep it under control. Training wheels on it . Flew it a bit with the 06 back in 99 but never got a handle on it. Any suggestions to make it more stable ? Big jump from the Hirobo XRB :D

jimmi
02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Hey Gord

I think being your heli isn't ccpm makes a big diffrence in flying. Cyclic/Collective Pitch Mixing & Collective pitch provide better/expert control. It's when the three servos in unison move the swashplate as opposed to standard mixing where one servo runs the collective, another runs the "aileron" and the third runs the "elevator."
and your lmh only offer FP mode only. You can put a better gyro and it will help some, but its limited in flying capabilities. I didn't like the plastic blades either, but this helicopter the lmh was put together to be a tough as nails heli and that it is. The crutch they use is one of the lightest in the industry today. And its plastic blades were made purposly to smack anything in its flight path and dust itself off and keep on flying. Resiliant lil bugger I'd say heres a link for parts that might help you.:) http://www.helihobby.com/html/corona_heli_kits.html
Also you can go to any helicopter forum on lmh and that should be also very helpful. I fly the cp blade and couldn't be any happier. I own lots of fuel helicopters all sizes, but this 220.00 electric helicopter you could fly it anywhere with low to minimal noise. Also the honeybee cp would be another good choice. I have heard that the honeybee is a better choice due to you get a lipo battery and a few other upgrades something that the blade cp doesn't come with. In any case good luck and keep practicing and you will get to hover in no time. Jimmi:cool:

Jimmi:
Just converted an old LMH 100 from the .060 to electric and was wondering where you find parts for the updates. Just put on a gyro today and uncoupled the arlton gyro. Flew it about 6 times but still trying to keep it under control. Training wheels on it . Flew it a bit with the 06 back in 99 but never got a handle on it. Any suggestions to make it more stable ? Big jump from the Hirobo XRB :D

flypaper 2
02-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks Jimmi. I'll play away at it.:p

flypaper 2
02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Jimmi:
Looked in the hellihobby website but couldn 't find a CP conversion kit for the 110, possibly to old, like me:p don't know where else to look. Although I am getting a handle on it. Thanks
Gord.

jimmi
02-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Hey Gord, then what I would do is go to the LMH forum and see what types of upgrades have been done. I'm sure you can use a diffrent swash from possibly another model that may work. Good luck..Jimmi:cool: This is where you can get your cp conversion kit Gord...==> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424707 Also everything you wanted to know about LMH but were afraid to ask...lol.............................Try this site out gord...........==>http://runryder.com/helicopter/f82p1/

Build the best, fly the best, crash the best...