PDA

View Full Version : List what battery you use in your GP SE5a.

SUPERSPORT
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I have read every thread in every forum I can find about this plane. The battery compartment doesn't leave you with much choice.

Please list what you use. Even if it's already posted. I want to tally up what fits and what's popular. Thanks.

Biplane Murphy
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I have read every thread in every forum I can find about this plane. The battery compartment doesn't leave you with much choice.

Please list what you use. Even if it's already posted. I want to tally up what fits and what's popular. Thanks.

I cut a slot in the roof of the battery compartment, and slipped a Thunderpower 2100mah 3S Lipo Battery in there.;-)

Used a velcro strap and some foam to pad and secure it....I had to be a bit creative to get it up in there, but I was quite pleased with the results.:)

degreen60
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Is the battery compartment the same as the Eflite Jenny? I use an Enerland 2s 850ma. Plenty of power to fly on less than half throtle.

BradT
04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Like B.Murphy, I cut open the battery box, and stuffed a 3S 1800 EVO 20C pack in, held in place with a velcro strap. I get at least 2 flights of 15+ min. per charge. The extra weight helps stability in our often windy Spring weather. I love this plane, and fly at least 2 packs every outing. My EFlite Jenny only gets airtime in the calmest conditions, OTOH.
Brad.

fresbill
04-09-2008, 05:06 PM
That's great to hear that the GP SE5a will take a bigger lipo than stated in the instructions.
That means I can use the lipos I bought for my slow stick. :D

Thanks for posting that guys.

7car7
04-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I have 2 different kinds, and 2 of 1 of them.

The single one I use is a Common Sense 1250mah 3s.
The other 2 are from ebay, and I can not remember the name. I'll look then edit my post. Those 2 are 1500mah IIRC.

I have not seen a big difference with the larger ebay batteries, I think they sometimes do not last as long as the smaller one.

But as far as fitment, I chose both of those because I did not have to modify at all. They both are just about identical size, fit great.

I get about 10 minutes each I supose, haven't really timed them.

I would like to try something just a bit bigger, and heavier, since it seems that it's always windy here.

stevecooper
04-09-2008, 10:07 PM
7car7 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18874)::I use Loongmax1000 -20-c's (12$ at Hobby-City) in mine7-8 mins but I don't run past 30% capacity, And just a hint, Drill a BUNCH of holes in your batt, hatch as it'll help cool'in her down ( not much airflow ) mine runs alot cooler now, your bub, steve PS heres mine and a peek under her skirt too!!

SUPERSPORT
04-11-2008, 07:09 AM
I'd rather not modify it but I could. It's stupid. They recommend their own 1250mAh battery and it don't even fit.

I have 4 Mystery batteries. 2200mAh 15C. I use them in my T-28 and very happy. Shipped under $20.

I found Mystery 1500mAh 15Cs shipped for $15.99. They will fit so I may just go with them.

Would be nice to use the batteries I already have. The 1500mAh batts are 100 grams and the 2200mAhs are 160 grams. You guys think the extra 60 grams will hurt anything?

Biplane Murphy
04-11-2008, 07:14 AM
I'd rather not modify it but I could. It's stupid. They recommend their own 1250mAh battery and it don't even fit.

I have 4 Mystery batteries. 2200mAh 15C. I use them in my T-28 and very happy. Shipped under $20.

I found Mystery 1500mAh 15Cs shipped for $15.99. They will fit so I may just go with them.

Would be nice to use the batteries I already have. The 1500mAh batts are 100 grams and the 2200mAhs are 160 grams. You guys think the extra 60 grams will hurt anything?

Mine balanced perfectly with the 2100mah batt.....You should be fine...also, you can move the reciever aft a bit to compensate if the CG is off.

BradT
04-11-2008, 09:17 AM
My 1800mah EVOs are 140 gr., and the plane doesn't fly like it's nose heavy, so you should be good with your 160 gr. pack. In my modified battery tray, the front of the pack just clears the rear of the motor, and extends rearward further than the stock location by about an inch, so some of the weight is moved back just by the extra length of the cells.
Brad.

SUPERSPORT
04-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Biplane Murphy and BradT, would you guys have pictures of your modifications?

I'd like to get as many ideas as I can befor I start cutting.:<:

Biplane Murphy
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Give me a minute....I'll take a photo....my mod was easy and primitive.

Biplane Murphy
04-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Here's my battery hatch mod....just a hole in the roof of the hatch so I could slide the batt in diagonally....a little foam for padding, and a velcro strap to secure it. I did have to add some liteply due to cutting the "slot" too big though....LOL

SUPERSPORT
04-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks. Does the bottom of the battery rest against the little firewall?

Biplane Murphy
04-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks. Does the bottom of the battery rest against the little firewall?

Yes....Inside the compartment I accessed....the end of the battery rests up in the "Corner"....I put a piece of foam up inside there to pad it a little.

SUPERSPORT
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I took all the measurements I could and drew it out on paper.

My battery is longer than Murphy's. I can't put it in like his. To get it to fit it needs to be angled more and the motor is in the way.

I can flip it. One end of the battery in the top of the nose and the other end above the landing gear. It will be tight but should work.

Here's the problem I see. I'll want to put foam in the corner like Murphy. Between the battery and foam I'll be blocking the 2 holes in the firewall. I'd hate to burn up my ESC because there is no air.

Guess I'll just order some new batteries. Hopefully I'll see them in another 2 weeks.