PDA

View Full Version : BlueCore No More?

daughtry50
12-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I build fanfold airplanes, lots of em. Sometimes they fly well, sometimes they don't fly so good, but I'm having a ball. On my last trip to Lowes, I found that my beloved fanfold had changed. It no longer had the covering on it and was too flimsy to use for planes. I'm worried that the flimsy stuff is replacing the stiff stuff. I've tried using Depron but it's too expensive and a little brittle (won't bend much without breaking or splitting). Has Dow stopped making the old fanfold? Does someone else make a similar product? Help Please, or I'm facing FanFold withdrawal!

jamessimon
12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
The Dow fanfold that you like is BlueCor P/P. It is becoming difficult to get as Lowes substitutes Protection Board III for it. Be aware that Lowes uses the same part number for them both so that the only way to find the right one is to actually go and look. There is no reason to the locations that have one or the other. In general it seems to be disappearing but I can't be sure since Lowes can't tell themselves. Th best thing to do is post your location and see if anyone in the area has seen some near you.

qban_flyer
12-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Last time I bought a pack six months ago, it was purchased at Home Depot for $35. They no longer have it in the three stores I have visited today, or their web site under insulation.

Lowes, on the other hand has it listed still. (?)

I wonder what gives?

http://www.dow.com/styrofoam/lowes/products/bluecor.htm

k-vette
12-31-2005, 12:07 AM
In case you can't find more, I'd try depron again. I use it for all sorts of bending and complex curves. A little heat and it'll move in just about any direction.

qban_flyer
12-31-2005, 04:10 AM
After my last post on this thread I took to the road and visited two other Home Depot stores. Not only did they not have in stock, the clerk told me it was not coming back and showed me the pink stuff, which is 3/8" in thickness. Price is $41.20 for 200 sq. feet bundle.:eek:

The pink stuff has a couple of things over Blucor. It is thicker and it's not "wavy", it is rather flat. I like both qualities but since I have never used it I have no clue as to how well it will work for us, the ones who roll our own.:confused:

daughtry50
01-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks guys, doesn't sound good. I've worked with Depron enough to know I don't like it, mainly because of the cost. Yes you can bend it but it requires more skill than bending the old fanfold. The 3 mil stuff bends fairly easy but the 6 mil is much more difficult to bend without cracking. I probably just need more practice with the Depron. As for the pink fanfold, I've tried it, it's too flimsy, requires too much bracing and it's PINK!!

cyclops2
01-01-2006, 07:03 PM
I think it is time for you to go to The Dow web site and call them with your problem.
They are very helpfull whenever I call.

qban_flyer
01-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I think that Cyclops idea is well founded. Perhaps Home Depot is not selling it anymore because of the profit margin is better on the pink stuff, but Dow may still be producing it.

daughtry50, if you call them and the news are good, would you please let us know here on this thread?:)

daughtry50
01-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Still looking, it does appear, based on the sites I've been too, that other companies make a similar product. The trick, so far, is finding stores that carry the stuff. Calling usually doesn't work cause the person on the phone almost always doesn't know what I'm looking for. Wish me luck!!

jamessimon
01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652

Here is some info the the types of fan fold that are out there. Not all fan fold is created equal.

qban_flyer
01-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Still looking, it does appear, based on the sites I've been too, that other companies make a similar product. The trick, so far, is finding stores that carry the stuff. Calling usually doesn't work cause the person on the phone almost always doesn't know what I'm looking for. Wish me luck!!

I don't call anymore. The clerks are absolutely clueless as to what it is I am calling about, much less go and check to see if they stock it!:(

sikorsky
01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
What is the price for Depron in USA?
Here in Germany we can get 1 plate (500 x 1000mm) for 2 Euro in our modelshops.
If you want to have coloured Depron, you have to pay 9,95.
So we are building white planes only.

meatball
01-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Theres no local place for most modelers in the US to get it. A lot of people use such sites as www.depronusa.com (http://www.depronusa.com) a good 27'' by 36'' (685mm by 915mm) sheet is 10 dollars for 6mm, 6 dollars for 3mm. Half that for sheets of smaller size that dont ship as oversize sheets.

Full sheets that are 27x36 cost extra for shipping. FanFold is almost 3 times cheaper.

Your paying almost 4 times less for the same thing (assuming its 6mm) still 2.5 times less if its 3mm.

zooland1
01-12-2006, 05:04 AM
went to Lowe's just to check about the fanfold and got two bundles (I guess they're bundles) for 18 bucks each

told my son-in-law in Jacksonville about it and he checked his Lowe's out and they had 13 bundles at 20 bucks (he only bought one)

I forgot to mention it is the dupont Bluecor

daughtry50
01-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I've been to most of the Lowe's stores in my immediate area, so far, no luck. As for Depron prices, I get it for 6$ a sheet (about 27" by 39") here at a couple locations (the white 6mil stuff).

zooland1
01-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Went back by Lowe's today and they had four more, must be a distribution center in our area with a back stock.

The hobby-world in Jacksonville has 6 mil depron for $2

I took some of the blu-core and veneered it to 3mil on my band saw, I was using a 1/2" 4tpi blade so it was a little rough, but not bad. With an 10-18 tooth blade I bet it would be great. Will try that later. Just a hastle to change blades. I saw at one time they make a knife edge blade. May have to check on that now that I have a use for it.

sobamaflyer
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I managed to score a bundle of blue cor at my Lowes down the street with a small crunch affecting the end of 2 or 3 sheets for $15. I expected it to be the new version (which from more and more reading didn't sound like a horrible thing) but got it home and it was the double sided stuff :)

:D (they had a pile there at $27/ea wonder if I should go nab one of the non-damaged ones?)

FoamFlyer
01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Blue cor.... Depron..... Or this stuff I just got... Dow Protection Board lll.... Its fanfold, 48" by 50' , its blue, Its about 1/4" thick, but only has a coating on one side, It doesnt easily come off either.... can this still be used??? Oh and i payed under $35 out the door

daughtry50
01-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think this type of fanfold is stiff enough for foamie planes. If you could find some Dow Bluecore to compare the Protection III stuff with you would see what I mean.

FoamFlyer
01-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't think this type of fanfold is stiff enough for foamie planes. If you could find some Dow Bluecore to compare the Protection III stuff with you would see what I mean.

:( So I guess im out $35,:eek: unless they would return this... :o I got all excited when I saw stacks of this blue fanfold stuff, after hearing that its not available redily anymore.... Is there a use in Building foamies for the Protection Board lll by Dow???:confused:

FoamFlyer
01-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Great news! I returned the Protection Board lll @ Lowes, and dug around to find 2 old beat up packs of blucore, they even gave me %10 off. I'm happy now! Its off to the building table for me now! I've had my sights on those snappy jets...

FoamFlyer
01-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Is there an EASY way to remove the plastic from Bluecore?

daughtry50
01-24-2006, 02:11 AM
For Foamflyer, I don't know of an easy way. I'm not sure why you would want to remove it. The Bluecore gets a lot of its strength from the covering. I sometimes remove small sections when I need extra strong glue joints. If you score or cut the plastic to peel it off, make sure you score only just through the covering. If you cut too deeply into the fanfold, it will create a week spot and a possible failure in flight if the scored area is at a structural point.

jamessimon
01-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Is there an EASY way to remove the plastic from Bluecore?

Grab a corner and pull. Pulling it up with tension works better than bending it over itself and pulling. Rolling it up around a pencil or dowel works well too. If you are only doing part of a surface then pull up the plastic and then trim it. Don't cut it while its on the foam.

Take off the skin where you are going to glue to the foam. If you leave the skin on you'll pull the skin off with the glue and have a mess.

You can use the skin as the hinge for the controls if you have a good hand and a sharp knife.

FoamFlyer
01-24-2006, 02:55 AM
For Foamflyer, I don't know of an easy way. I'm not sure why you would want to remove it. The Bluecore gets a lot of its strength from the covering. I sometimes remove small sections when I need extra strong glue joints. If you score or cut the plastic to peel it off, make sure you score only just through the covering. If you cut too deeply into the fanfold, it will create a week spot and a possible failure in flight if the scored area is at a structural point.

Thanks for the info, I'm building a F/A 18 Park fighter, I downloaded the plans in PDF tile format, this is my first all foamy, The instructions say to remove the film on the fuse. but not on the wing. Although it makes it easier to sand bare Bluecor, it is difficult to sand the leading and trailing edges on the wing and tail sections... Some specs are 28.5" span, 42" length approx 18 oz RTF. I'm putting a Himax 2025 w/ 4:1 gearing, Phoenix 25.... Its going well but I find myself not liking the wavy ness of the Bluecor, wondering if I should have gone with 6mm Depron....:confused:

FoamFlyer
01-24-2006, 02:58 AM
all this good info, so little time to build Thanks guys

cfischer505
02-18-2006, 07:37 PM
I've tried using Depron but it's too expensive and a little brittle (won't bend much without breaking or splitting). Has Dow stopped making the old fanfold? Does someone else make a similar product? Help Please, or I'm facing FanFold withdrawal!

Many sheet foams will crack, you can control this with heat and or a strip of packing tape on the OUTSIDE radius of the bend/fold your making.