PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Plane

Kosh
04-13-2008, 11:32 PM
This has the nose off a Hobby Lobby Lynx and the frame from a X-41. Both were crashed some time back and it just dawned on me to slap the two together. The Lynx crashed into a tree while inverted and we had to throw rocks at it for a hour breaking off chunks to get the gear back.

The X-41 had functional forward canards, These could also be moved by a side lever on my TX and manually set to any angle. I had nothing but problems with this setup as my fingers would always find that control and move it in flight. On one hi speed pass my hand moved the canards to the down position and you can just picture the instant impact and foam carnage that followed.

The hi bred from the pair of planes I dubbed the Lynx41 and has stationary canards so I cant screw up like that on this one. (Don't worry I can still screw it up but it wont be from a side lever this time.) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgV17GlLMlI
Better Quality Video: http://www.cascadeap.com/X-41.wmv 15.6MB

CHELLIE
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Nice Job Kosh :ws: what motor are you using in that plane, it sounds very healthy, Take care, Chellie

Kosh
04-14-2008, 12:17 AM
The motor is a small 1800kv outrunner from Hobby City, AX 2308N - 1800kv but it no longer shows up on there site. This is close but a higher kv rating http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5431

I liked the 1800kv and bought 4 of them that are all in use. It spins props from 6x5.5 to 8x4 and in the video its spinning a APC 7x6E for some fair speed at around 18amps. It will fly with 1300 to 2100 3 cell packs and has a empty weight of under 10 ounces. Theres skids on the bottom so pavement landings wont tear it up I hope. The plane flew better than I would have guessed and is very agile just like I want. :cool:

CHELLIE
04-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, I am surprised that that little motor can spin such a big prop, and it has a lot of speed to it too, Kewl
I need to get back to building my Stryker, my funtana is on the back burner for a little while :) it kind of bummed me out a little when my radio failed and caused it to crash, O well thats Rc I guess :) take care, Chellie

Kosh
04-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Thanks, Always sorry to hear of a crash but your smart enough to figure it out and make it work next time.

Kai_Shiden
04-14-2008, 05:19 AM
It looked really good in the air Kosh, you should show everyone your building skills by posting the post tree picture of the Lynx, I didn't think any part of it would fly again after we hammered it with rocks.

-Kai

Kosh
04-14-2008, 05:39 AM
You can still see some rather large dents on the nose from rock impacts I didn't even bother to fix or hide. Both parts planes had battle scars that I just left in place and called it good. :rolleyes:

Kai_Shiden
04-14-2008, 05:44 AM
It came out looking great on the ground and in the air, impressive recycling skills Kosh. And to think I thought that foam was destined for a landfill somewhere ;-)...

-Kai

Kosh
04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Oh it still is but not today. :D

Siroc gets first crack at it after I'm done then its officially ready for the trash. :p

Kosh
05-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Destroyed in flight by a low flying high G high speed turn that ripped a control horn loose. The flightline guys rated it a 8.5 only because it spread foam over such a wide area. :<:

tonhe
06-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Ouch !!

you Can Still See Some Rather Large Dents On The Nose From Rock Impacts I Didn't Even Bother To Fix Or Hide. Both Parts Planes Had Battle Scars That I Just Left In Place And Called It Good. :rolleyes: