PDA

View Full Version : RYAN PT-22 plans???

KenK
12-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know where I could get plans for a Ryan PT-22?
I had a real PT-22 in 1964. I have neave seen any model of this plane. There is a kit for a Ryan STA which has straight wings & inline engine. The PT-22 has swept back wings & a Kinner radial engine.

Lancer31
12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi, Ken; At the moment, I don't but I would also try a search on computer for it.
For several years, I worked with a pretty lady named Lynn Barber, who commuted daily in her beautifully restored '22. My flying buddy of 40 some years used to hear her putting over his house, and I later got to introduce them at a fly-in. Her husband is shown flying a restored Zero, on the cover of the current "Flight Journal".
I have toyed with the idea of converting the Herr ST to a PT-22. It should not be that hard to do.
Good Luck!

KenK
12-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Wow someone who knows what a PT-22 is. When we bought it ( Nov 1963) we were going around New Englane looking for parts. Every time we found parts we asked what happened to the plane? They all said it was a spin stall in a turn on take-off accident. My mechanic wouldn't let us fly it untill he looked it over. Seems the Army manual for rigging had a different idea on wing wash out!!! He re-rigged it and it was a completely different airplane.
Thanks for the reply:
KenK ~!~

Hi, Ken; At the moment, I don't but I would also try a search on computer for it.
For several years, I worked with a pretty lady named Lynn Barber, who commuted daily in her beautifully restored '22. My flying buddy of 40 some years used to hear her putting over his house, and I later got to introduce them at a fly-in. Her husband is shown flying a restored Zero, on the cover of the current "Flight Journal".
I have toyed with the idea of converting the Herr ST to a PT-22. It should not be that hard to do.
Good Luck!

Leo
12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Hi Ken,
Jerry Bates offers plans and parts for a 1/4-scale PT-22:
http://www.scaleaero.com/jerrybates.htm
(Plan Group V)
Here´s a thread, discussing a Bates PT-22 build:
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4974&KW=pt%2D22

jungmann1
01-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Ken,
I can personally vouch for the plans that Jerry sells. The were drawn by Bob Sweitzer several years ago and Jerry just bought the copyrights to them. I had a copy myself and can tell you they are superb. If fact, a museum, I believe in San Diego, used Bob's plans as a reference while restoring their full size example. They are quite large and expensive but are worth every penny if you want to make an accurate scale model. What exactly are you wanting to do? If you have something more in the line of a park flyer, the Herr Ryan would probably be a better starting point. Good luck and keep up informed! John.

KenK
01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I want to build a replica of my PT-22 & pait it the same. I want to use one of the new E-flite 46 or 60 outrunners! Some where in the 6-8 lb range. I have a clip wing cub like my 1947 I had.I have an E-flite 40 in that. (converted from fuel). I need to fly off of a 1300' grass strip that we used for the real thing.
Thanks again. I will check them out.

Hi Ken,
I can personally vouch for the plans that Jerry sells. The were drawn by Bob Sweitzer several years ago and Jerry just bought the copyrights to them. I had a copy myself and can tell you they are superb. If fact, a museum, I believe in San Diego, used Bob's plans as a reference while restoring their full size example. They are quite large and expensive but are worth every penny if you want to make an accurate scale model. What exactly are you wanting to do? If you have something more in the line of a park flyer, the Herr Ryan would probably be a better starting point. Good luck and keep up informed! John.

Boomerang
01-14-2006, 02:01 AM
Hi Ken, love the PT22 & have started scratch building one for a 120 four stroke. There's certaily some work in the undercarriage! I know Icon & West make a kit for the Ryan at 1/4 scale but it may be a bit big & heavy for your needs. - John.

Dick Adams
10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
At the other end of the spectrum, Flying Models published a plan for the PT-22 in 1983 designed by Tom Sandor of NJ.

This was for a 30" WS rubber powered free flight, so the structure is light but strong. Tom did an incredible job engineering the articulating landing gear by making it funtional, but very simple. Other scale details abound and the plans are of old fashioned draftsmen quality. With today's ability to blow-up or reduce at copy shops, this is one way to go for PT-22 lovers!

http://www.flying-models.com/

For $8.00, these plans are tough to beat.

(You guessed it, I bought a set and will build a small R/C version this winter!)

Dick

jrb
10-02-2006, 06:07 PM
When I was in high school my dad built a stand off scale 3KR from a kit called a P-Shooter; also did a Cherokee.

Saw one of these at a LHS and though off sweeping the wings and doing jugs: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/127522.asp

Here’s a build thread by Ken Meyers: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557165 .

Does anybody know how much sweep is in a 3KR?

Dick Adams
10-02-2006, 06:51 PM
My plans for the PT-22 show 4 degrees of sweep.

According to a site called Aerofiles, the first of these Ryans to have a swept back wing was the ST-3KR, which eventually evolved into the PT-22.

aerofiles.com/_ryan.html

"...the ST-3KR 1942 (ATC 749) = 100hp Kinner R-440, finally 160hp R-55. Became NR-1, PT-21 and -22."

Hope that helps!

Dick