PDA

View Full Version : Auf Wiedersehen, my Brio10 !

max2112
04-19-2008, 05:16 PM
AAAaaaaarrrrrrggggghh!!!!!

Well guys, I managed to destroy the Brio this morning. It was a 100% catastrophic crash. She was about 200 ft up when two things happened at once. Here are the facts as I remember them.

350 feet away. 200 feet up. wind about 08-10 mph.
I turn back towards me which puts me into the wind.
If there was a gust up at her location I don't know, I didn't feel one.
At this point I noticed two things:
(in this order but close enough together to be almost simultaneous)
1. I've got NO Elevator!
2. Something just fluttered away from my bird!

I had enough time to try elevator up and down several times. I even flared full throttle once while holding full up elevator to see if the prop wash would help.

Well Terra-Firma caught up to me. SPLAT!!

I didn't have a camera at the park, so here is the aftermath in the garage.

GreenAce92
04-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Oooo jeez....sorry to hear that Max, well salvage the electrics and put them into another bird. hope you dont have this mishap happen again.

The wings look ok. if you had the patience i bet you could fix her up with some balsa and monocote.

max2112
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
The part that fluttered away from the plane was the canopy. I have read several posts about the early Brios having this problem but this is the first time mine had ever came off during flight.

The plane was a sight to see. The front 1/4 of it was a shattered mess. The wings stripped themselves down and forward off of the carbon fiber tube. Then they hit the ground hard enough that both outside tips were smashed in. I had to pull the motor OUT of the ground. It took a firm tug to get it out.

I checked the battery and servo arms and rcvr plugs for any signs of looseness or heat. All was good.

When I got it home I set up all of the electronics after they had been removed from the lifeless carcass.

1. The motor is probably shot. It has a small metallic grinding sound coming from somewhere inside.
2. The aileron servos are good.
3. The rudder servo is good.
4. The elevator servo is dead to the world. No reaction to any stick movement. When switched with the rudder servo it did the same thing on that channel.

So.... What Happened?

Theory: The canopy came off and the force of the wind inside the fuse stripped or smoked the elevator servo.
Theory: The servo went first and the canopy was just incidental.

Fact: I noseplanted my favorite plane from 250 feet up.

I'm glad AnglerHi was there with me. That 100 yard walk of shame was easier with a friend there. He didn't laugh at me at all! ...I think.;-)

max2112
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Oooo jeez....sorry to hear that Max, well salvage the electrics and put them into another bird. hope you dont have this mishap happen again.

The wings look ok. if you had the patience i bet you could fix her up with some balsa and monocote.

Thanks GreenAce92. I did get the salvagable stuff off of her before I smashed the rest up in that box (it was strangely theraputeic:)).

Nah, the wings were pretty beat up inside. Lots of broken balsa.:o

GreenAce92
04-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh i see, well thats cool that Mike was with ya, hes a good guy. Sad to hear your Brio is gone, and the BL motor man, thats a lot of $$$ gone right there, but i guess its a fact of this hobby.

firemanbill
04-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Dang Max! Sorry to hear that Bud. It happens to all of us though at some point. Seems like you have a good outlook on it though so that is good.

All planes have one and I can just make it out under the word Brio. It's the expiration date, and it has todays date on it!;-)

Angler-Hi
04-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry again John!! That really sucked man. I think you may be right with your theory though. I don't know, when she crashed, EVEN I felt like crap. I wish she was a little closer man, I would have went running and dove for her!!

max2112
04-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Dang Max! Sorry to hear that Bud. It happens to all of us though at some point. Seems like you have a good outlook on it though so that is good.

All planes have one and I can just make it out under the word Brio. It's the expiration date, and it has todays date on it!;-)

Hey, I like that Firemanbill! :) expiration date.... that's good one to add to the repertoire. I have to keep a PMA or else I think I'd go Nuts. But I did have a two coffe cup period of quiet reflection this morning.:sad:

Sorry again John!! That really sucked man. I think you may be right with your theory though. I don't know, when she crashed, EVEN I felt like crap. I wish she was a little closer man, I would have went running and dove for her!!

Thanks Mike. I know you've got my back.

Angler-Hi
04-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey, how the heck do you guys "quote" more than one post and respond in the SAME post? Also, how do you quote a "partial" post when you respond? I still can't figure that out. Not everyone uses powerpiont:D.

Yeah John, I would have definitely took off in a sprint. But to be honest with you, when you first realized there was a problem...I thought you were just doing a steep dive for show:red:. My deepest sympathy friend.

Mike

max2112
04-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Mike,
to edit multiple quotes:
The 1st person you want to quote, hit the button NEXT to the reply with quote button. You will see the button change color and the + will change to a -
2nd quote, do the same.

3,4, etc..
On the last quote just hit the reply with quote button like normal.
Your text window will open up like normal and you can type anywhere you like.

With the partial quotes just hit thereply w/ quote like normal and put your cursor inside the quote and backspace through any text you want to remove. Just don't mess with the brackets or the names.

Clear as mud now?:)

newjak
04-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Max2112,

I REALLY feel your pain.:sad: I had a Brio that just loved to smack the ground for no apparent reason! Mine died when it suffered from what appeared to be a BEC problem. Gremlins were always along for the ride with that thing. It was a nice flying bird....when it stayed in the air. Take this as a learning experience and move on.

Angler-Hi
04-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Mike,
to edit multiple quotes:
The 1st person you want to quote, hit the button NEXT to the reply with quote button. You will see the button change color and the + will change to a -
2nd quote, do the same.

3,4, etc..
On the last quote just hit the reply with quote button like normal.
Your text window will open up like normal and you can type anywhere you like.

With the partial quotes just hit thereply w/ quote like normal and put your cursor inside the quote and backspace through any text you want to remove. Just don't mess with the brackets or the names.

Clear as mud now?:)

Thanks John! I appreciate the help.

rocket_jim
04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry about your loss.

But there is something really refreshing about a total smash-up crash like that. There is no thought of possible repairs. You dig thru the box, salvage what equipment you can, and get rid of the rest. Smash it, burn it, trash-can it. Whatever gives you the most pleasure!

Sadder still are crashes that leave wings and tails and stuff that just might be useful in another project another day. That end up living in medium-sized pieces in boxes forever, since there is never time for that total redo of crunched stuff into something flyable project.

And perhaps sadder even than that are things that are repairable with significant time and effort. And I do that 10 times in a row, getting heavier and uglyier every time! (the plane, not me!) And I never build up and fly that neat new plane kit I bought. The closet is getting full of them, and my wife is complaining that I never build anything new!

Jim

max2112
04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Max2112,

I REALLY feel your pain.:sad: I had a Brio that just loved to smack the ground for no apparent reason! Mine died when it suffered from what appeared to be a BEC problem. Gremlins were always along for the ride with that thing. It was a nice flying bird....when it stayed in the air. Take this as a learning experience and move on.

Thanks newjak. I agree with you, it was a beautiful flyer. But that is part of what made this one so frustrating for me. It was a rock-solid plane with no glitches or bad tendancies. But the firstone was a DOOZIE!:{

Sorry about your loss.

But there is something really refreshing about a total smash-up crash like that. There is no thought of possible repairs. You dig thru the box, salvage what equipment you can, and get rid of the rest. Smash it, burn it, trash-can it. Whatever gives you the most pleasure!

Sadder still are crashes that leave wings and tails and stuff that just might be useful in another project another day. That end up living in medium-sized pieces in boxes forever, since there is never time for that total redo of crunched stuff into something flyable project.

And perhaps sadder even than that are things that are repairable with significant time and effort. And I do that 10 times in a row, getting heavier and uglyier every time! (the plane, not me!) And I never build up and fly that neat new plane kit I bought. The closet is getting full of them, and my wife is complaining that I never build anything new!

Jim

Thanks Jim.
I agree with you totally. I really went through that airframe and took what I deemed useful. But no medium sized pieces on this on. Even the stabilizer and rudder were stress fractured.

Even better the trash men came about 20 minutes after I was done. I watched 'em toss the box in the garbage truck.
I got more closure than a 31 year old grandmother on the Dr. Phil show.

rocket_jim
04-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Another thing that works well for closure is a Wood Chipper! Fast and Effective!

Jim

max2112
04-21-2008, 01:09 AM
.... Not everyone uses powerpiont:D.
Mike

hey, I just caught that!!

You cut me Mike. ........... real deep.

:D:p:D

Nathan King
04-21-2008, 01:26 AM
My crash did more damage. :D

Mine did the same thing as yours; I noticed something fly off (canopy) after a snap roll on a 45 degree downline. I had NO elevator. Here's where the similarities end. I also had no ailerons, rudder, or throttle... nothing! It smacked right into concrete nose first. Upon inspection of the fuselage I found that my battery was missing. You guessed it, the battery had ejected causing the canopy to fly off. I just didn't notice the battery as it happened. It was surprising because I was in the habit of tugging on the battery before every flight; the last flight was no exception. I still to this day can't figure out how that darn thing fell out. I mean, I could swing the entire airplane around my head holding on to the battery - it was that secure. Perhaps the entire mount broke? The airframe was so damaged I couldn't tell.

The airframe was pulverized, my 480 motor was split open, AND I never did find that battery!

My condolences for your loss. It is an EXCELLENT flying airplane. It even handled wind wonderfully for a model of its size and weight.

max2112
04-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Wow Nathan,
That does sound a little worse than mine. The ground was pretty soft, it had rained the previous day.

I guess failures like mine and yours illustrate why we shouldn't fly over housing areas or freeways.

A 1.8 pound plane going 35-40 mph could do some major damage!

firemanbill
04-21-2008, 01:48 AM
That just goes to show it can always be worse John!:<:

Nathan that sounds pretty Brutal! I had the battery eject out of my Ulitmate Bipe once but the connector held and I was able to bring it in with minimal damage, it was still a pretty hard landing though dragging the battery underneath it like that.... It sure did throw off the CG!:eek::Q

Nathan King
04-21-2008, 02:18 AM
LOL, there was a family with a small child watching on the bleachers at our field. After it crashed the kid said "cool!" His parents gave me this "oops sorry our stupid child said that" look, but he was right. After getting over the loss I have to admit it did really look cool snap rolling with parts flying off and then smacking the pavement where more parts flew off. :Q

This is your thread so I don't mean to hijack it, but it just goes to show you that in this hobby, stuff happens. Hopefully knowing you're not the only unfortunate one can give you a little piece of mind. Actually I think that's part of the thrill, never quite knowing what's going to happen. Never quite knowing if your baby is going to the hangar in the sky.

Angler-Hi
04-21-2008, 03:59 AM
hey, I just caught that!!

You cut me Mike. ........... real deep.

:D:p:D

AAHHH, it's all said out of love man:$:Q

max2112
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, guys it's been a week since the demise of the Brio and I've come to a couple of conclusions.

1. It really Sux to drive past the crash site every day going to and coming home from work!;)

2. I am going to do some Serious aftermarket canopy-securing mods to the next Brio!!

3. I think I'm done with generic servos. The aileron servos were e-flite. The rudder was Futaba and the elevator was a TowerPro.
I don't know for sure if a high-end servo would have prevented that crash or not, but I'm willing to try it and see. I'm NOT bashing TowerPro products here. I'm just saying they're not my choice anymore.

Here's what I plan on using for the next Brio build: Futaba S3114 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNCV6&P=6). Do you guys think that's a good choice? Any input is welcome.

I was able to buy a second Brio some time ago for $50 (BIG THANKS to Cliff at Atlanta Hobbies!) so it's just a matter of time before I do the second build.

Now I'm just saving my duckies for a new E-flite 480!:tc:

firemanbill
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Those are good little servos Max. I have a couple of them in my Airliner and they perform very well.

I like using higher end servos as well. Most of my stuff is JR, Hitec, or Futaba.

Not knocking the lower cost brands either because I use a lot of them as well in things like my slow stick, and beaver, and other less demanding apps and they perform well in those situations.

rocket_jim
05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Odd coincidence, but just yesterday I bought a Brio 10 and later I remembered the Brio name from this thread.

I noticed in the instruction manual something about also taping the canopy on in case the magnet was not quite strong enough, or was slightly off-placed.

Jim

max2112
05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Odd coincidence, but just yesterday I bought a Brio 10 and later I remembered the Brio name from this thread.

I noticed in the instruction manual something about also taping the canopy on in case the magnet was not quite strong enough, or was slightly off-placed.

Jim

Jim,
My manual does not have that note. Maybe mine was an older kit? I'm not using that as an exscuse though. I had read several comments on the internet about folks losing their hatch mid-flight.
I just really thought mine was secure enough. It took a firm tug and a slight sideways jiggle to get it to release. :rolleyes:'eh, who knows.

But the Brio MarkII is in the wings waiting to be built! The mourning period is over and I'm getting this sucker out of the box and onto the bench just as soon as I can.:tc:

max2112
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Jim

btw CONGRATS on a great plane, Jim!
I really think you're gonna love it. Hands down, the best plane I've ever flown.

If you haven't gotten this far in the build yet;
I would either replace the two-piece landing gear set-up or brace the two pieces together so they are supported by each other.

Cheers,
John

rocket_jim
05-23-2008, 07:50 PM
I stand corrected. It was not in the printed manual, nor the on-line manual, but at this Bulletin: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Support.aspx?ProdID=EFL2275
Canopy Attachment

Some modelers have experienced an issue with the canopy coming off on the Brio. This issue is limited to a few airplanes and is due to some inconsistencies with the magnet alignment for securing the canopy hatch. The magnet attachment should be solid and secure fit.

If in doubt, we suggest you do not take any chances and to prevent this from happening in flight, you add a small piece of clear tape to secure the canopy during flight. A 3M clear plastic tape is slightly thicker and is easy to remove (MMM190). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jim

Angler-Hi
05-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Or you could just get a small piece of balsa, use a counter-sink and add an additional magnet where it's flush with the balsa/popsicle stick, and glue it into the cockpit. I was actually thinking about doing this to my Gee Bee. The battery hatch lid will not come off when trying to pull it in an upwards direction, but moves quite easily when sliding it to the left or right. Just a precautionary measure.

Mike