PDA

View Full Version : Piper Cub thermals, but too well

Voyager2lcats
04-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I crashed my scratch built Piper Cub a while back, but didn't post it. It wasn't one of those memorable parts fly everywhere crash, but it did scare me. I thought I was going to lose the plane due to the thermal conditions. There were lots of vultures thermaling nearby, so I knew the wind conditions were "good".:rolleyes: I climbed straight from taxiing into a thermal and that little plane went up faster than I have ever seen it. Not long after that I was having trouble bringing it down. I guess I panicked a little- I didn't really want to lose $60.00 in electronics to Mother Nature. So I did what every red-blooded RC pilot worth his salt should do when disaster threatens: bring her down as fast to terra firma as you can. Even if it means the end of the ship.:o So here are the results if you haven't seen them already. Enjoy.

mred
05-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Did you ever think to do a spin???? It still comes down fast, but parts don't fly off.
Ed

Voyager2lcats
05-18-2008, 11:35 PM
Ed, I put it into a spin and it came down beyond my line of sight (beyond a rise and some small trees) so control was very iffy at that point! The damage was really quite marginal. I realized that the wind was really too much but I tried to fly anyway. It was really quite fun until the thermals threatened to take my baby away.:eek: I think it hit the trees on the way in to the parking lot. I have all the pieces. Right now it is waiting to become a BluBaby Cessna. I will reuse the wings and parts of the fuselage. It is a great design and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to fly or just to fly in your local park. A very docile plane. Thanks for the advice.:)
Did you ever think to do a spin???? It still comes down fast, but parts don't fly off.
Ed

texasclouds
11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
did the buzzards mind your plane being there? i've been using them to find thermals as well, but they usually leave once I invade the airspace.

PaperAirplane
11-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Ed, I put it into a spin and it came down beyond my line of sight (beyond a rise and some small trees) so control was very iffy at that point! The damage was really quite marginal. I realized that the wind was really too much but I tried to fly anyway. It was really quite fun until the thermals threatened to take my baby away.:eek: I think it hit the trees on the way in to the parking lot. I have all the pieces. Right now it is waiting to become a BluBaby Cessna. I will reuse the wings and parts of the fuselage. It is a great design and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn to fly or just to fly in your local park. A very docile plane. Thanks for the advice.:)

One of these?:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

PA

mred
11-04-2009, 06:00 AM

Normally when I put it in a spin, I pull out high enough to make it back to the field. Since I have built one with spoilers, I now build all of them with spoilers even if the plans don't call for them. My Vista will get spoilers this winter. Spoilers are really great and beat doing spins any day of the week.

The pictures of the foam Blue Baby looks a lot like the old Esquire. It was an old glow powered trainer and flew great with a flat bottom wing and was one of the best primary trainers on the market at the time. Doing it in foam should make it a real easy flying plane.

As for the buzzards bothering me or leaving the thermal, I've never noticed them being bothered buy my glider flying with them. I haven't had one attack me and they don't leave unless it time for them to go find another thermal.

Ed

Voyager2lcats
11-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes. Great little plane.:)

One of these?:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556

PA

Voyager2lcats
11-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Ed, I actually rebuilt this plane based on the BluBaby and I call it the Cessna/Cub. I haven't done spoilers, but this thing flies pretty nicely. Brushless motors give you that nice burst of power when you need it most (fighting wind).

Normally when I put it in a spin, I pull out high enough to make it back to the field. Since I have built one with spoilers, I now build all of them with spoilers even if the plans don't call for them. My Vista will get spoilers this winter. Spoilers are really great and beat doing spins any day of the week.

The pictures of the foam Blue Baby looks a lot like the old Esquire. It was an old glow powered trainer and flew great with a flat bottom wing and was one of the best primary trainers on the market at the time. Don't it in foam should make it a real easy flying plane.

As for the buzzards bothering me of leaving the thermal, I've never noticed them being bothered buy my glider flying with them. I haven't had one attack me and they don't leave unless it time for them to go find another thermal. 1

Ed

Voyager2lcats
11-12-2009, 06:18 PM
I meant to answer this question: They didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. They rule the skies over Fort Jackson, actually!;) I think they were using the plane to identify the thermal, because they flew off without bothering the plane at all. Vultures are outstanding flyers.

did the buzzards mind your plane being there? i've been using them to find thermals as well, but they usually leave once I invade the airspace.

mred
11-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I meant to answer this question: They didn't seem to be bothered by it at all. They rule the skies over Fort Jackson, actually!;) I think they were using the plane to identify the thermal, because they flew off without bothering the plane at all. Vultures are outstanding flyers.

I hate to say this, but the vultures don't need a plane to identify a thermal from what I have seen. If they are coming over to look your plane over, it is more then likely just out of curiosity more then anything else. I think they can see them and don't need us to find thermals for them. They seem to be interested in my gliders though and come look me over every time I fly with them, but they find the thermals, I just follow them. I have even had them drop down a little to get a better look, but never bothered me yet. They just look and then fly off to another thermal.

Ed

Voyager2lcats
11-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Ed, you are probably correct. Just a little bit of hubris on my part!:D It looked like they flew over to my plane, because it was already flying, but no vultures were around it and it was already thermaling. They don't have feathers for nothing. Like I said, they are excellent flyers.

Bob

mred
11-13-2009, 03:52 AM
Ed, you are probably correct. Just a little bit of hubris on my part!:D It looked like they flew over to my plane, because it was already flying, but no vultures were around it and it was already thermaling. They don't have feathers for nothing. Like I said, they are excellent flyers.

Bob

From everything I have read about them, I think they can really see thermals. If not, they seem to know where thermals will pop up, because I have seen them make a beline to the next thermal. Any bird that catches thermals are great flying birds and I use them all the time to find them for me.

Ed

texasclouds
11-13-2009, 04:44 AM
From everything I have read about them, I think they can really see thermals. If not, they seem to know where thermals will pop up, because I have seen them make a beline to the next thermal. Any bird that catches thermals are great flying birds and I use them all the time to find them for me.

Ed

maybe they see heat waves or something. like we see on a hot road.

mred
11-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Could be. All I know is, they can thermal a lot better then I can. Sure wish I could see them things.........

Ed