PDA

View Full Version : Use Of Bold, Colored, and Oversize Text

hoppy
12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
(This was posted by 'expert' on another thread. Not wanting to go off topic on that thread but wanting to comment on the subject, this thread was started.)

I'd like to see the bold type option removed. For those posters who love it, I never read bold type posts.

You and me both!! I'm surprised you didn't also mention the over sized and colored letter options.

Sometimes the judicious use of bold, over-sized, or colored print is effective but many times it can border on offensive to the senses.

How about an option to turn off bold, oversize and colored print so it comes down as standard sized black and white print?

slipstick
12-30-2005, 03:51 PM
IMO all of those options should be restricted to occasional words or very short phrases, used for purely for emphasis.

OTOH I don't find it all that difficult to simply ignore any message written entirely in bold, coloured, over-size fonts, non-standard fonts or even ALL CAPS. Even after ignoring those there's still plenty on here to keep me busy ;).

Steve

qban_flyer
12-30-2005, 04:09 PM
It is very easy to place someone that offend us on our Ignore List. I have a few on mine.

The option to use bold, colored font in whatever size the user decides to use is entirely to that individual user on his or her message. The reader has absolutely no say in that matter.

Those who don't like that type of post have one of two choices, either skip those posts or ignore the user(s) altogether.

The solution can't be any simpler than that.:)

ForestCam
12-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Boy it used to be considered rude when someone posted using ALL CAPS but now posting in bold, large fonts and colors is rude too?:rolleyes:

Oh well, no one will read this anyway.:p

Mike Parsons
12-30-2005, 05:04 PM
I am not sure this thread belongs in GE since it is more usage related than E-related, but I will leave it for now.

I think it is within the right of each member to use the font and size as they wish, but it could land them on someone's ignore list. I think the idea of creating a user option to see text font as a standard is an excellent idea. I am not sure if it is an obtainable option, but Marc could better answer that.

I view the extreme size of the text used in some cases the same as typing in all caps. Kind of like the person is yelling. It boils down to web posting etiquette IMO.

MP

admin
12-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Based on "netiquette" the use of caps, colors and sizes should be used sparingly. I am sure that many do not realize this. While it isn't that I won't read stuff just because of caps/color/sizes I do find it much more difficult to work my way through the text quickly as I am sure many do.

As mentioned above if somebody does this often and it bothers you enough then you can always place them on your personal ignore list and you never have to look at their posts again.

ragbag
12-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Based on "netiquette" the use of caps, colors and sizes should be used sparingly. I am sure that many do not realize this. While it isn't that I won't read stuff just because of caps/color/sizes I do find it much more difficult to work my way through the text quickly as I am sure many do.

As mentioned above if somebody does this often and it bothers you enough then you can always place them on your personal ignore list and you never have to look at their posts again.

You do have a way with words.:D

Should change your title to the SILVER TONGUED FOX.:D :D :D

By George:)

fabricator
12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was editing a book and put exclamation points after every other word, "So before! He went! Outside he! Put his! Sweater on!":D

Mike Parsons
12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Lol. I miss seinfeld.

MP

fabricator
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Lol. I miss seinfeld.

MP

Not me, I have seasons 1,2,3,4,5,6 on DVD:D I just never get tired of it.:)

admin
12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was editing a book and put exclamation points after every other word, "So before! He went! Outside he! Put his! Sweater on!":D

Love that episode! It was great! :)

fabricator
12-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Love that episode! It was great! :)

After all this talk about it I had to stick it in the player, watching it right now.:D

Gullwing
12-31-2005, 01:44 AM
:D :D :D Why can't we all just get along:D :D :D LOL

Twmaster
12-31-2005, 06:24 PM
:D :D :D Why can't we all just get along:D :D :D LOL

LOL!!!!

Personally I dislike the abuse of bold, colored and giant text on the forums but don't mind it too much if used sparingly to make something clearer.

I guess this just comes out of me from my old grumpy sysadmin days. :)

Gullwing
12-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah I can say I don't like it much or use it at all really, but if it is used when it should be I don't mind it. It is not a big deal to me. I don't think we need big brother to watch us children that close.LOL Leave it the way it is..............GW

jperch
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Intersting topic. I have found in my days on the other forum, that I was simply too lazy to use all the special formatting features. It was just too much work for me.

The only time I used them was when I put a post in the for sale forum with many items for sale. I would add "*** SOLD***" text in red whenever a line item sold. It made it stand out that this item was gone.

Even then I thought it was kind of a pain to use. I don't see how folks can use these things regularly.

Joe

qban_flyer
01-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Matter of taste, I guess. Some of us use them, while some of us don't.

I use them in my SIG and when I want something in my diatribes to stand out. Red has that effect on the written word, it makes things stand out.:)