PDA

View Full Version : Microstamp 4L rx antenna

bradleyd
04-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello

I can't seem to find the thread where I first came across this information, so I can't quote direct, but in any case...

Someone was building a parkflyer sized plane, using a berg 4L, which I have two and use in my parkflyers, and this person did not like the extra antenna hanging out the back of the plane (no one does right?). So he said he contacted castle to inquire about trimming the antenna, and was informed that the antenna length is not tuned as it is already base loaded, and that he could trim off up to 12" of the length with not much loss of range.

Is this in fact correct? Or is a better solution to use the m-72 micro antenna's instead?

FYI - he later went on to say that he did not have any problems after trimming 12" off the length...

Thanks for any info.

gyrocptr
04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd suggest coiling the "extra" length around a soda straw, with the coil located next to the receiver. Punch hole near the end of the straw; insert the antenna wire from the inside of the straw; coil the antenna wire around the outside of the straw until you reach the desired antenna-length; punch another hole thru the straw; insert the remaining antenna wire thru the straw from the outside of the straw; cut off the excess straw-length; apply tape to hold the wire-coil on the straw. If you need the longer antenna for another project (e.g. high-flying sailplane), it will still be available.

bradleyd
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey gyrocptr.

Thanks, I've read good and bad about the coiling technique, as well as good and bad about other options as well.

I'm thinking about adding the micro antenna's to my rx's anyway if i can find someone local that carries them. I myself don't fly anything larger than park size, and don't have any plans to go to anything larger than I have now, my largest being 32" w.s.

I was just looking to see if the info this person apparently received from castle was correct.

Take care.