PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub Crash

diverdon
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
They ought to call me Crash Johson .. Have 3 main planes slow stick ,easy star and the newest a Super Cub.. I have already crashed the other 2 more than once ..

So this time it was the super cubs turn .. Made it about 20 seconds on this new plane .. anyhow here's a pic of the "indesdructable" plane ..

And I do realize it's my fault .. I crashed it Pretty hard too

Thanks for listening , Don J. AKA "Crash Johnson"

P.S. -- I WILL fix this , have got it glued back together already just have to put a brace on it

Don Sims
04-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Dang Don, you sure put the whammy on it!! Some CA here some CA there and she'll be flying again in no time...

I hope! ;)

firemanbill
04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Looks like an easy enough fix.

What do you think happened?

GreenAce92
04-23-2008, 01:43 AM
wow thats like the same exact part i busted my friends supercub(hes a new flyer and i took his plane for a test spin i lost orientation and crashed it into a tree(lightly) but it fell out tail first. We're not friends anymore lol.

Hope ya get it fixed up and in the air again.

diverdon
04-23-2008, 05:15 AM
Firemanbill , I crashed pretty good looked like it did a sumersault kinda spun hitting nose to wing tip to tail . I have the tail horiz and vert fins braced with carbon fibre.. But what happened is right where the whole tail "section" meets the center part of the fuselage is a weak point ..

Think about it you can look thru the thin bottom piece with the round holes in it and see where the solid tail section meets the rest of the fuselage really only attached on 3 sides .. So if it's gonna break it makes sence to break there ..

Granted it would have never broke if I had better.... Er! .. some flying skill .. It felt to me like the plane was out of trim wanted to turn right and go up I fought it for a while was trying to set the rudder trim and overdid it ... oops .. There it goes a tumbleing ...

I have it mostly fixed now and will post a pic of the brace I'm putting in ..

I'm ready to go again with 4 planes in flying shape .. Lots a fun .. Thanks for looking at my post and asking the questions . Don J. AKA "Crash Johnson"

Gnascher
04-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Cubs should just ship with the fuselage in two pieces and the join being right where yours broke.

That is the weakest point in the fuselage, and virtually every cub breaks there eventually.

FlyingMonkey
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Hot Glue!!!

GreenAce92
04-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I gotta say the parkzone piper is strong, doing a dive at full throttle and slamming into a powerline, it still lives!

diverdon
04-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Gonna try to post 2 pics of the brace I made for my Cub ..

I made it full length of the fuselage as I figured wherever I stopped it is where it would crack/break next .. It did not add much weight I used Gorilla glue... Starting to really like the gorilla glue ..

The brace is made of a moulding called "lattice" from the orange box store

Stay in touch as "Crash" puts this bracing to the test ..

Thanks to all of you for your help , Don J.

Slowjohn
04-24-2008, 08:30 AM
You've added a lot of weight to the rear of the CG so be sure and balance it again. Wishing you better luck with the next flight.

Standing by,
SJ

FlyingMonkey
04-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I will have to second what Slowjohn said. That is adding a lot of weight to the tail. It doesn't take much weight that far back from the wing, to make the plane almost impossible to balance.

What I would recommend, instead of that sheeting down the side, is to use thick tooth picks, or cut down bamboo skewers. You insert them into the foam on one side of the break, and then shove the other half onto the skewers, and that will reinforce the area around the break.

As it is, you might have to find a way to mount the battery outside the plane, up under the motor, to get it to balance.

Gnascher
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Agreed ... way overkill. That's thick wood ... and it isn't even balsa. I suspect your flying characteristics will be negatively impacted.

Fly Time
04-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I broke mine there too. So did my grandfather-in-law. Glue is all you need. Epoxy, Gorilla Glue or hot glue are best. It will be stronger than before with any of those. CA would be okay too, but not as strong as the others. Add some toothpicks if you want but I certainly wouldn't do anything that adds weight.

diverdon
04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Hello all , Boy do I feel stupid ! Thanks for pointing that out .. It's already done so I will set the cog and go ahead and try it the plane sure doesnt feel any heavier ..

Oh Well it's not the first dumb thing Ive done and sure won't be the last .. thanks again for all of the help I get on here ... Don J.

Fly Time
04-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Hello all , Boy do I feel stupid ! Thanks for pointing that out .. It's already done so I will set the cog and go ahead and try it the plane sure doesnt feel any heavier ..

Oh Well it's not the first dumb thing Ive done and sure won't be the last .. thanks again for all of the help I get on here ... Don J.
If you find that your plane doesn't fly with all that extra weight, you might try this (http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/hobbyzone_supercub/hobbyzone_supercub_parts/HBZ7185.html). :D

Angler-Hi
04-25-2008, 12:50 AM
I agree with FM, HOT GLUE! That stuff works great. I hope you get her back up man.

Ace, somebody should "ground" you:p. You'd figure that with your experience you could handle a SC:confused::D. What's wrong with you boy??:Q

Sorry, don't mean to hijack.

Mike

GreenAce92
04-25-2008, 02:35 AM
I was a scared pilot we'll leave it at that lol, it was right after i lost my Parkzone J3 Cub for 3 weeks!!!(flew in the dark lost orientation it ended up a mile away). Yeah its still flyin great, my friend doesnt seem to be much interested with is SC if i had 50bucs id buy it from him for sure, but i hear its dissassembled for parts on an avrovulcan. But eh who knows, i dont like kids like him so were not friends no more.

sorry to get off topic

FlyingMonkey
04-25-2008, 06:05 AM

The good news....

your local hobby shop should stock spare fuses for about 20 bucks.

Crash Black
05-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I joined the ranks of crashing my Super Cub on the Maiden flight. I have little prior experience and (gasp!) tried to fly in a baseball field on a windy day (I know, I know). I wanted to fly since the 80's, around 2000 started to plan and get catalogs, etc...so I finally got around to getting a Super Cub last week. I held off to finish college and stuff.
My brother hand launched, it went up great (with ACT on). It happened so fast, I can hardly remember...it circled very fast, successfully 3 or 4 laps. It was at 90 feet, I wanted to gain more altitude, so I gave some up elevator...it went up slightly, banked, and then dove to the ground in the blink of an eye! It hit nose first, but mainly on the cockpit area. Cracked the wing in half, destroyed the cowl, split the firewall and wrenched the gearbox to the side (can't tell if the prop shaft is bent) and dislodged the inner servos. Any thoughts?
Thanx

Gnascher
05-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Sounds like you pulled up without enough power, stalled and crashed ... either that or you held your control inputs for too long.

Don't fly with ACT ... it's a gimmick. Around here we call it "Automated Crash Technology". I don't know if it caused your crash ... but it sure didn't prevent it!

Repairs ... use toothpicks and hotmelt glue or 5 min epoxy. Both are easy to use, provide a bit of working time and cure very quickly. You should be able to repair the wing with toothpicks and glue ... tape over the repair once the glue's cured. Tape the cowl back together with packing tape if you've got most of the pieces.

You may be able to repair the firewall ... but it's only a few bucks to replace. More than likely the motor shaft is bent ... again ... it's a pretty cheap part to replace as well if it's trashed. In fact ... just about all the parts for this plane are pretty cheap.

Good luck ... you'll be back in the the air in no time.

Crash Black
05-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanx for the encouraging words.....I already repaired the wing using the method u mentioned....but it reinforces that I did it right. Cowl was beyond, it was shreaded.
Yes, along with the wind...I think I held the control toooo long. As for power it was still on full....I hadn't had time to adjust that. One thing I noticed when I got home was; one of the trims were maxed to one side, I don't know when this occured...may tape it next time, once it is set.
Again, I thank u for the tip regarding ACT.
LAter

Fly Time
05-16-2008, 06:29 PM
The #1 mistake that beginners make (myself included not that long ago) is overcontrol. Flying RC is nothing like PS2 or XBox because you have to be very gentle and deliberate with the control inputs.

Also with the SC, be sure your wing is centered PERFECTLY on the fuselage. It will fly very badly if it is not.

I would not tape over the trim controls. After your next successful flight, take note of the position of the elevator and rudder after you've adjusted the trim in the air. Then if you find that the trim controls on your Tx are way off center, adjust the control surface clevises so that your trim slide controls are about centered. That way all you have to do is make sure they are centred before you take off, and any further trim adjustments should be fairly minor. Hope that makes sense.

Crash Black
05-16-2008, 08:41 PM
You guys are awesome! You make me feel welcome...and keeping me stoked to return to the skies and not Hanger 18.
Later
"Keep watching the skies!"

Gnascher
05-16-2008, 09:32 PM
You guys are awesome! You make me feel welcome...and keeping me stoked to return to the skies and not Hanger 18.
Later
"Keep watching the skies!"

You'll find most of the community here to be about like this. We are passionate about the hobby and love to see new people catch the bug.

You've chosen a good first plane ... I learned to fly on it myself. I also modified this plane and it became my aileron trainer too. I know feel confident enough to fly virtually anything out there these days ... even built a few from little sticks of balsa!

Get that bird back in the sky ... you've got a whole summer ahead of you. Also ... stock up on spare parts ... odds are you're gonna need them. ;-)

Fly Time
05-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Get that bird back in the sky ... you've got a whole summer ahead of you. Also ... stock up on spare parts ... odds are you're gonna need them. ;-)
One thing I love about the SC is the ready availability of spare parts, and the fact that they are so cheap. My LHS has a great selection, and I frequently end up buying SC parts for my other projects because they can be made to work for half the cost of generic Dubro or Great Planes hardware.

As for stocking up on spare parts, I think it's a great idea, but not necessarily because you will need them. When I was starting out I bought some of the things I figured I would break like a new cowling, tail set and some props. As it turns out, most of that stuff I have never needed! I chalk it up to Murphy's Law in reverse: by being prepared for a bad crash, I never crash badly. :rolleyes: