View Full Version : Skid into wall = rubbing outrunner?

04-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Well I was flying my trojan this afternoon and when I came into land the last flight I had a little bit of speed and I went into a low cynderblock wall at 5-10mph maybe? Not sure exactly...

Anywho I knew something was up, removed the cowl and saw that one of the legs on the motor mount was bent a little, I also noticed that the motor is very loud now, so with the cowl off I powered it up and after just a few seconds of running full throttle it was pretty warm/hot. Sounds like something is rubbing on the inside...Any ideas if it is worth a repair or what it is?

Very disappointed right now. Very hard lessons to be learned...:blah:

04-25-2008, 04:43 AM
gotta ask ya somethin, sorry i cant help ya on the bl motor part, maybe post a pic if ya can, but anywho, what is your avatar? looks like airmen having fun?

04-25-2008, 04:53 AM
I would post a pic, but visually other than the motor mount things look fine. Although when I spin it I can see that the bell housing (dunno what it is really called) seems to be uneven but I was not sure if it was just how the mfg cut it.

Lol...yes. Step 1 at weapons school!

04-25-2008, 04:55 AM
That is sooo funny lol.

04-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Well I have looked all over inside and out, I dont see anything actually rubbing magnets/coils....not sure what is wrong.

I can only describe it as making a very loud, high pitch whine when running.

04-25-2008, 05:22 AM
it could be one of those 3 wires came kinda loose on the motor, when one of the magnets doesnt fire it makes bad noises, most of the time it just doesnt run or the esc.

04-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Sounds like you may have bent the shaft, probably can be replaced if you really look thur this site you will find a topic about motor shaft replcing. Good luck

04-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Hmm, that was the only thing I could think of as well... But do you think finding the right shaft and replacing it is WORTH the time and cash on a $50 brand new 960kV?

Old Sloppy
04-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Naw, just buy a new one.

04-26-2008, 01:49 PM
I bet if you contact HZ, they can sell you a new shaft and for only a few bucks.

Replacing a shaft is usually pretty easy, and a lot cheaper than throwing $50 at it.

But hey ... if you got an extra $50 laying around ... I'd still say fix the shaft and send the change to me!

04-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Man, I have rounded off 4 allen heads trying to disassemble this thing! I need some seriously hard metal allens to get this thing apart.