PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Idea #42

Kosh
05-05-2008, 04:56 AM
I'm just not sure how we come up with these idea's but they always sound good at the time for some reason. I'm proud to say this is one of those REALLY dumb idea's caught on film so you don't have to try it yourself now.

My Easystar is in front and grossly overpowered trying to tow another up when things go BAD !!! You get the idea so watch the video and see how things really go wrong. :p

Much better quality, http://www.cascadeap.com/EasystarTowing.wmv 10.2MB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxPHSbSpr8

Kosh

adhoc
05-05-2008, 05:07 AM
Heh, that's pretty funny! Bet they didn't try that at SEFF!!

Gotta love Elapor, eh? ;-)

Thanks for sharing...

Kosh
05-05-2008, 05:12 AM
I guess most would say WHY? We say why not and go for it anyways ... lol :<:

Rabbitcreekok
05-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Well, of course it is the fault of the one being towed.:tc:

Acutally it could be. He got above the towplane and that causes problems. Lifts the tail of the towplane and causes it to dive.

Murocflyer
05-05-2008, 05:19 AM
Phew! Thanks for posting that Kosh. I was just about to try that with two Mini Pulse XTs. :p

Now it appears that is not such a good idea.

Nice try though. What went wrong?

Frank

Kosh
05-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey it was just for fun and no real damage occurred. I trust the pilot of the second plane and he did his best in some pretty good wind. If your going to try this with someone have them play wingman around your field first. A much longer line would have done wonders and we were pointed into roughly 12mph winds. Slowing the video down helps see what happened here but the FUN factor was high its a memory no one will forget there. :rolleyes:

Right before these flights everyone was chasing my stock GWS Beaver around with a long streamer on it into even more wind so it sounded good at the time. You know I just don't sit at home thinking well I want to try that and these goofy ideas just show up. (Honest) :p

diverdon
05-05-2008, 05:41 AM
That was COOL ... They sure did bounce good .. You can really see it in the slow motion part .. If that would have been me the plane would have been in at least 2 pieces ... I wonder what kind of power you have in there That thing goes straight up in the 2nd attempt ...

Sure like to see you try that again ... but only if you promise to crash .:D. Ha! Good Show Kosh .... Thanks , Don J.

Kosh
05-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Anyone can crash a plane but doing it with style and grace is whats counts, I had my Wattflyer shirt on so theres the style part ... :o

Kai_Shiden
05-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Sorry about the shaky video in the first attempt, I was trying to get over to the dirt pile to get a better angle (was planning on climbing it until I got to it and saw it was steeper than it looked, LOL).

-Kai

Kosh
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks Kai,

Kai does some of the best video work around and he was on the move for the first part. (My Fault)
We may try this again at some point but I bet there will be a extra servo to release just in case next time. I'm sure Kai will be happy to film part II in the future well because someones got to do it ... lol

Kai_Shiden
05-05-2008, 06:47 AM
That may work out Kosh, the servo release I'm making for the Y-ufo, I was thinking about using a velcro strap to attach (so technically it should work on anything that we can loop the velcro around, or extend the velcro around).

I was figuring that a velcro strap would allow me to use it on my Y-ufo, or my Sniper (both have spare channels). The Sniper has already proven it can lift over 21oz reliably (16oz camera, and 5oz in floats). I'm also shortening the servo lead and using a servo extension (that way if the velcro fails, it doesn't strain the RX connections causing loss of control of the aircraft).

-Kai

Kosh
05-05-2008, 06:55 AM
As we saw MANY times today loss of control is over rated ... :rolleyes:

CHELLIE
05-05-2008, 07:04 AM
Good Try Kosh :) the towed plane was just a little to heavy :) Take care, Chellie

PS are you going to add that to your Crash Videos ? ? ? :)

Kosh
05-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Well it sure could be part of "Kosh Crashes Everything II" but the flying season is young so expect to see more blunders and fun stuff as the season moves on. Don't expect to see video every weekend but we try when its practical for all at our field.

Kai_Shiden
05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok, you guys will laugh at me, I've been watching you guys with your EasyStars for a while thinking that looks like a good relaxing plane (when you want it to be)... I just pulled the trigger on an order for one (taking advantage of the Hobby-Lobby Sale, I needed a bunch more electronics anyways).

So I guess I'll be adding to the crashing mayhem soon (I blame the Y-ufo, trying out something different and really liking it has gotten me looking into other aircraft that I wouldn't have considered before).

-Kai

Kosh
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Your not alone, John just ordered one also after he flew mine.

So what happens when we try to tow 3 or 4 up at the time? The end plane will whipped around and bring the whole chain down is my guess. :p

It didn't look that fast at first but after chasing the Stryker around the sky really showed the speed range on a cheap setup. It's nice to kick back with but know you have the power in reserve to pull off "Dumb Idea #43" when it hits. :rolleyes:

Kai_Shiden
05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I only have 6ch or higher RX's, so I guess I'll have to make sure that my Y-ufo gadgets can interchange to the EasyStar...

I ordered some Smoke cartridges to try out since I've wanted to play with those for a while as well, 4 min of smoke trail sounds pretty neat. Oh, and 2 bomb drops (the type you fill with flour and split on impact). Oh, and a FlyCamOne2 to play with :red:.... (had to really work at it to get to the $100 off level of the sale:silly:).

I have a spare JustGoFly 400F laying around and will probably try that out on my EasyStar. With APC 6x5.5 on 3s 11.1v, the motor is rated to pull 21.5oz of static thrust, and 80mph pitch speed (21.5A, and 239W). Last time I tried that motor was on my profile SU-37 Rev4 (it sucked in a rock and shrapneled the plane in half ::o).

-Kai

Kosh
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
My guess is your Easystar will hover on that ... :rolleyes:

Kai_Shiden
05-07-2008, 12:52 AM
My guess is your Easystar will hover on that ... :rolleyes:Well, that's not the intention, I just like being able to re-purpose components I have laying around (don't actually have to buy a thing to get an EasyStar flying, I have a spare PHX-35, plenty of servos, extra RXs, FP Evo25 3s2170mah packs, etc). I just want to make sure to have enough power to ROG, might be going overkill, but I tend to go a bit overkill with everything anyways.

I was thinking that since all of our EasyStar's are grossly overpowered... I bet they wouldn't have problems towing very long streamers... anyone up for EasyStar Combat!!! :p

-Kai

Kosh
05-07-2008, 01:09 AM
There wasn't that much difference with a 7 ounce camera and mount on mine. It only required some extra up and worked much better than I thought it would. It was set at the right angle so only showed open sky, It did of course cause more drag but the forward view was worth it and its completely unobstructive view.

Streamers wont even make a dent in the way we fly with these, I want to try last man up. We all launch at the same time and climb for 30 seconds, Power off and see who hits the ground last.

ministeve2003
06-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Well, Thats A good Testiment to how Crash Resistant an Easystar is...LOL... Also...Darn Now That you told me not to...Looks Like I'm gonna have to try repeating that...just Kidding....
SK