PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

Murocflyer
05-06-2008, 12:04 AM
RCU only accepts videos up to 50MB. :mad:

That's a very small amount when it comes to videos. I know this isn't RCU, but I had to complain somewhere.

I feel better now. Well not really...

Frank

Kosh
05-06-2008, 05:15 AM
Why so large a file? I have made over 150 videos and none have ever been over 50MB. A few have a run time of over 6 minutes and thats longer than most want to see in the first place. Considering how much the quality will degrade after you upload there and most other places theres just not much need for a high MB movie unless your hosting it yourself. Most of the other online services have a 10 minute or 100MB limit and there links work just fine here.

Take your video and just run it through Windows Movie Maker to get it just under the 50 MB limit and your home free. Lets say you have a 65MB video you want to upload, Some sites will compress this down to around 5MB or less to save space and bandwidth. I guess what I'm saying is its hard to tell a 35MB version from a 65MB version on many of the free sites.

Murocflyer
05-06-2008, 11:57 AM
It's not normally an issue for me since I usually post my videos on AOL video and it has a time limit vs size limit. I wanted to use RCU to post my video for the video challenge since RCU has RC video and youtube has so much other stuff. But it looks like youtube can handle a 63 MB file so I'll use it for this contest. The good news is that Tim is considering other video hosting sites on the next contest. I like to keep all my videos in the same spot.

Frank

Murocflyer
05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Kosh,

Here are my options in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8.0. None of these options allow a smaller video that is 3:17 minutes long than 63MB.

I guess until RCU ups the allowables to 100MB I'll never be able to post videos there.

Frank

PS I was pretty excited at first because the link here on WF showed a 100MB size limit, but when I tried to load my video, it only allowed 50.

Kosh
05-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Your computer already has Movie Maker installed most likely. Take your completed project and drop it in there. When you go to Finish Movie there are MANY options you can save it at as far as size goes. Your still going to get a 640x480 video close to the same as before but in a smaller package. Doesn't hurt to try it out for yourself and see the slight difference. Don't count on RCU to change there bandwidth rules any time soon or for Wattflyer to host video as there are already so many places that do the same.

Murocflyer
05-07-2008, 12:20 AM
I'll give that a shot. I don't know if WMM will take all the goodies I added in the video, but we'll see.

Vegas Movie Studio is fantastic for editing/making videos, but they do leave the file sizes large. I guess it's not really made for dropping videos on these limited places on the 'net.

Frank

Kosh
05-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Just give it a go and set it the highest you can get just under 50MB. It may take a test to 2 to get there but your not pushed for time so give it a shot. :ws: