PDA

View Full Version : Swift16

3d-wanna-b
05-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Anyone flying the Swift?? Just ordered one last night.

JustPlaneChris
06-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow, I guess not too many Swift flyers here, eh? I have a Swift, and it's great! Not the most attractive heli out there, but it sure flies nicely. :)

-Chris

Ohio AV8TOR
06-02-2008, 03:21 AM
I flew a Swift for 3 seasons and It flys really nice. Definitely an underrated machine. Parts are nice and affordable too. Enjoy it.

NoFly
06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Just go mine. Getting more funds together. for Gyro and batteries..
Maybe a few more months before it's in the air.

buzzbomber
06-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I've been thinking about a Swift once my skills are up to the point where I won't be afraid to fly it (currently flying a Blade 400). Of course, everybody at the field is telling me to get a Raptor 50, but I have a large E-conversion plane that needs batteries, and I figure if I choose wisely, I could save money by getting the swift and sharing batteries between it and the plane. We'll see, I may be a Swift pilot yet!

Balil
06-05-2008, 10:49 PM
im waiting for century to come out w/ the 2.4ghz rtf version of the swift16.... saw it in rcheli mag but nothing yet on the century site as to price or date available. i cant wait!!!!

Ohio AV8TOR
06-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I've been thinking about a Swift once my skills are up to the point where I won't be afraid to fly it (currently flying a Blade 400). Of course, everybody at the field is telling me to get a Raptor 50, but I have a large E-conversion plane that needs batteries, and I figure if I choose wisely, I could save money by getting the swift and sharing batteries between it and the plane. We'll see, I may be a Swift pilot yet!

I had the Blade CP - then a TRex - the the Swift and the Swift was by far the easiest to fly. Not as sensitive and twitchy and easy to see because of the size. Oh the best part not affected by the wind as much. Don't let skills hold you back.

eddo22
06-06-2008, 01:17 AM
i have not, but i want one!

HeliG
06-06-2008, 02:19 AM
What the heck. I still can't figure the heli numbers out. The T-rex 450 is how big? How about the 500? Or the Swift 16? What are the classes... 30, 40, 50? Please clear some stuff up for me!

eddo22
06-06-2008, 05:46 AM
What the heck. I still can't figure the heli numbers out. The T-rex 450 is how big? How about the 500? Or the Swift 16? What are the classes... 30, 40, 50? Please clear some stuff up for me!
sadly there is no standard when it comes to naming helis. you have to think about the heli sizes by the size of the blades that they swing: t-rex 450=325mm main blades, t-rex 500 swings 425mm blades, and the Swift swings 530-500mm blades.
ed

HeliG
06-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Wow. The Swift is a much bigger bird!!!

NoFly
06-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow. The Swift is a much bigger bird!!!That is one reason they fly so much better than a 450 class.

Balil
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
if i remember my specs right, the 500 is a .15 size bird, the swift and 600 are .30 size birds, the 700 will be a .50-.60 size bird. and the .90 sized i dont even know if they make an electic that big.... 800mm main blades... they're HUGE but just as twitchy as the guai ep 200....

HeliG
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok, then what is the significance of the .15, .3, .5...?

Balil
06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
its the nitro equivilant, the bigger the bird the bigger the engine, ya know. i saw a 450 sized nitro the other day just flippin through google and i think it ran like a .08 size nitro. warren i gotta ask, do you fly fixed wings too? or strickly heli's?

NoFly
06-06-2008, 04:04 PM
From looking at other sites folks will be running .90 in the Trex 700N.
The 600N is a .50 size machine. The larger they are the more expense
to fix, but easier to fly.

Also I just saw a review on a 450 size machine that ran .18 size motor.
I don't recall the name?

Ohio AV8TOR
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Close to a 30 size. Some people have put a Raptor 30 canopy on the Swift.

HeliG
06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
James,
***I hope this doesn't sound snobbish to fixed wing pilots.
I currently just fly helis but, I've thought about buying some kind of fixed wing to play with when I'm too tired to concentrate on heli flight. I'm sure not saying that to be rude but I keep hearing that flying a plane is much easier than flying a heli.

bassplayinDude
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
James,
I currently just fly helis but, I've thought about buying some kind of fixed wing to play with when I'm too tired to concentrate on heli flight. I'm sure not saying that to be rude but I keep hearing that flying a plane is much easier than flying a heli.

It certainly is. It's so relaxing my helis are currently shelved because I normally go to the field with 2-3 working airplanes and come home with 2-3 working airplanes.

I figure the reason airplanes are easier is because once you've pointed them in a direction, they'll generally continue in that same direction until you give another input. Compare that to hovering a heli, where the second you stop giving inputs, who knows where the heli will end up. After a few months of hovering practice I still can't do tail in and can barely do side in hovering. Haven't even tried moving the heli around intentionally because I know exactly how that'll end (with $$$ flying out of my wallet).

I really want to learn how to fly helicopters, but I asked the teacher in my club if he could teach me. He said, "Imagine the letter U. You're standing at the open end. Once you can navigate your helicopter to all 4 points on that U and are able to navigate between those points in a straight line even with the wind, then come to me and I'll teach you to fly."

If I keep trying helis it'll probably take me a year to be able to do what he wants me to do and that may be too optimistic of an estimate. I want someone else to help me along so I'm not needlessly wasting $$$ and crashing helis but so far I haven't had any luck.

HeliG
06-06-2008, 08:10 PM
BPD,
Weren't you going to buy G4? The first couple times with my T-rex were pretty scary but when I used the G4 for some practice, I was out hovering pretty quickly. And then forward flight and circuits came pretty darn quick. I've even been inverted a few times. The learning curve has gone much faster than I originally thought it would.

bassplayinDude
06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I'd love to buy G4. Unfortunately for me, I'd have to buy a recent Windows computer first. I have an old clunker HP laptop that has just enough juice to run FMS and a couple of the free heli simulators, but couldn't possibly run G4. :(

micron929rr
09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
So, how do you like the new Swift RTF?? I'm looking to get a new heli....have a axe cp-l now....just want something bigger :)

micron929rr
09-30-2008, 07:55 PM
I just read Centry is coming out with a 620 CF :) Anyone get a hold of this one yet?

WEFlyer
10-02-2008, 03:54 AM
HeliG wroteJames,

Oh definitely easier. I just bought Real Flight 3.5 last week and I'm already flying, doing some stunts and landing a Foamie biplane in there and I can't hover yet. :red: I messed with combat flight simulators for about 20 years so I had no problem picking up flying this. I have crashed it because I still trying to get to use the orientation views but it has me hooked for something very relaxing.

I'm looking at getting this getting this kit to do the same thing you are thinking of doing. I read between 10 to 15 minutes of flying for it.

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5589

It's rated as intermediate but that's how confident I feel I can fly it with more practice on 3.5 getting the orientation stuff down.

WEFlyer
10-02-2008, 03:58 AM
Anyone flying the Swift?? Just ordered one last night.

wanna-b, what will the batteries cost to fly it? That what has keep me from thinking of flying it. All the batteries I saw for various combo kits cost anywhere from $50 to $200 more than the heli kit. It would be I'm paying to flying batteries vs a helicopter.

Or you are going to try using those A123 batteries I'm just starting to read about?

Balil
10-05-2008, 07:54 AM
weflyer thats a good thing about a heli this size. you can run either 2 2s 2200mah packs in parallel or you can run 2 3s 2200mah packs in parallel.. keeps you from having to drop a ton of money on the larger battery packs, but remember when you run batteries in a series like that they have to be the EXACT same battery. same cell count, milli-amp, and discharge rate. you can get 2 3s 2200mah packs for about $150ish, depending on the manufacturer, but almost anyone that flies electric has packs they can piggy back. the Swift 16 does come in a RTF package that comes w/ a 4s pack, but the problem with that if you wanted to fly 6s you'd have to change out the motor and pinion. the motor that comes with it wont give the performance desired from a 6s pack. just a little food for though.

WEFlyer
10-05-2008, 02:11 PM
weflyer thats a good thing about a heli this size. you can run either 2 2s 2200mah packs in parallel or you can run 2 3s 2200mah packs in parallel.. keeps you from having to drop a ton of money on the larger battery packs, but remember when you run batteries in a series like that they have to be the EXACT same battery. same cell count, milli-amp, and discharge rate. you can get 2 3s 2200mah packs for about $150ish, depending on the manufacturer, but almost anyone that flies electric has packs they can piggy back. the Swift 16 does come in a RTF package that comes w/ a 4s pack, but the problem with that if you wanted to fly 6s you'd have to change out the motor and pinion. the motor that comes with it wont give the performance desired from a 6s pack. just a little food for though.

Thanks. I still have a lot to learn. Each day as I explore the various forums related to RC Helicopter something new pops up that makes it both interesting and confusing. While the batteries are quite expensive, my goals are leaning strongly toward flying scale and learning to fly F3C style. Thinking F3C first. And a helicopter that deals better with wind might be a better first choice for me to get since my flight time is limited and supposedly a heli larger than a 450 is somewhat easier to learn on but more expensive to fix from crash. On top of that, I could hopefully convert it down the road to either scale or use for F3C practice flying. Question is how often I might crash. Buy a smaller heli and maybe crash it more or buy bigger one and hopefully crash less. Which adds up to be a less costly route? Will I end up have to upgrade the smaller heli into a larger heli? And the time to do it?

Now you say run the batteries in parallel but then you mention they are run in a series. Is that not too separate approaches? I'm thinking that parallel batteries deal with a Y connection and batteries in series means one battery run into the next one which then runs into the connection. I also had read somewhere yesterday looking at thread on the TT E550 that you don't quite get the same output running two smaller batteries together versus one bigger battery. Any place I can go to read up on this more?