PDA

View Full Version : typhoon components in SS for AP?

Idaho
01-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Hi. First post here. This might be off the wall as I'm a beginner.

I have a Parkzone Typhoon still in the box. I've decided I want to practise more with a slow flyer before trying the Typhoon. My prior experience is with a Firebird XL (electrics went twitchy). I've practised a lot with FMS with 3D models but would like to get a slow flyer I can use in the area around my house and am hooked on the idea of AP.

I've been considering the Slow Stick, but had the idea of using the Typhoon components and have no idea if this is feasible with this model. I also see the Magpie talked about for AP. I'm guessing it comes with a flight pack. I'm open to all ideas. I would like ailerons - if I go SS I'll mod it right away.

The Typhoon has a Parkzone BL400-15T brushless motor with 8:1 gears, 10.8v Ni-Mh (option for 2100 3 cell li-po), 4 channel radio (plus aux on 5), 6 channel receiver. Weight is 26 oz. Wingspan 39.5".

Anyone know what would be a real good fit? I'd especially like to be able to use the same batteries. Going lipo would then be easier on the pocket book. The Typhoon servos are junk so I'll use them for the camera and get upgrades for the plane.

Of course I'll develop some skill with the slow flyer before doing the AP mods.

Great forum.

Arlie

kuzikood
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
keep the typhoon in the box and just buy a cheap 4channel jr radio for the slowstick or if your into ap mountain models is probably the way to go but beware when you buy a MM plane you get a bag with some hardware some preshaped foam a few pieces of balsa and some realley realley good instructions it is a kit not an arf

-kuzi-

Idaho
01-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. If you have a minute I'd appreciate hearing why you recommend against utilizing the typhoon components in a slow flyer.
(It's a learning process)
Arlie

qban_flyer
01-04-2006, 03:08 PM
I concurr with Kuzi's recommnedation.

The reasoning behind keeping it stock is that everything is mounted properly and even possibly fairly well flight trimmed since they make lots of them and have flight tested their prototypes to death (in China or wherever).

Another reason for not touching it is that in case you have problems with it, they might be able to tell it's been "messed" with, thus voiding whatever warranty comes with it.

If you are not going to fly it right away, you can have an experienced pilot with 3D type e-models take it up to make usre everything is working properly before putting it away until you are ready for it.:)

kuzikood
01-04-2006, 11:58 PM
yea if you are thinking about going with the slowstick buy a a full setup and flu the crap out of it you can get everything you need and even though some will advise against it you can use the batteries that came with the typhoon but it will be heavy and will be quick! which means fun in the wind lol and if ya have any questions about the slowstick qban can answer them all he is the slowstick pioneer....lol ask him he will tell you how they used to power the slowsticks when he was a kid with a coal burning motor

-kuzi-

Rugar
01-05-2006, 12:01 AM
ask him he will tell you how they used to power the slowsticks when he was a kid with a coal burning motor

-kuzi-

:D :p

qban_flyer
01-05-2006, 12:31 AM
if ya have any questions about the slowstick qban can answer them all he is the slowstick pioneer....lol ask him he will tell you how they used to power the slowsticks when he was a kid with a coal burning motor

-kuzi-

YUP! A coal burning steam engine providing the power for them back in the late 1800s. I remember it so vividly as if it had been yesterday. We had to use wooden paddles glued together as propellers.

Those things were a bit heavy and sounded like steam locomotives while airborne. Not as fast as today's Slow Sticks, though the flights were longer than with Li-Pos. Coal powered Slow Sticks were more efficient than Li-Po ones. As long as the pressure in the boiler was kept at a reasonable level, we never had Li-Po like explosions and fires.:D :D :D

kuzikood
01-05-2006, 01:25 AM
in dont forget how crude the r/c was back then ..ya had to throw rocks at the tail till it went in the direction ya wanted it to go

-kuzi-

qban_flyer
01-05-2006, 01:33 AM
I used a very long whip!:eek:

It was very effective with the mules, more so with that model.:p

kuzikood
01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
lol i guess your too young to remember the old ways cuz bacvk in my day al gore hadnt invented the whip yet so all we had is rocks

-kuzi-

kuzikood
01-05-2006, 01:37 AM
ya ever noticed Q how when the 2 of us are involved in the same post how far off topic we can get in under 5 posts lol

-kuzi-

qban_flyer
01-05-2006, 01:52 AM
I am never off topic. My SIG keeps my posts on topic all the time. We are discussing Slow Sticks here aren't we?:D

kuzikood
01-05-2006, 02:35 AM
funny thing is my sig also is on topic with slowsticks too lol

-kuzi-

qban_flyer
01-05-2006, 04:15 AM
HE, HE, HE.

Are ya trying to lead me astray, 'n get me in trouble?:D

Idaho
01-06-2006, 01:55 AM
qban can answer them all he is the slowstick pioneer....lol ask him he will tell you how they used to power the slowsticks when he was a kid with a coal burning motor

-kuzi-
[/quote]
That's funny! Made me think of the Flintstones. :D

Actually I was wondering about using the typhoon batteries. I found an amazing thread (about 64 pages long!) on the slow stick on RC groups which answers most questions but gives an upper voltage range of 9.6V. The Typhoon's are 10.8. Not sure if I'd burn up something or if it's just a weight issue. I suppose I could just buy a motor and ESC that would handle it, maybe get a brushless setup right off the bat and beef up the wings a little. I could maybe have one lighter battery for AP.

Another option, since the Typhoon is untouched I think I could return it for store credit and just invest in a good SS setup and think about a Typhoon later.

I'm still tempted to defy wisdom and make a really hopped up SS with the Typhoon parts (the bonehead route I guess).

One other thing, if I keep the Typhoon why would I buy a different radio?

Thanks for the input
Arlie

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 02:08 AM
qban can answer them all he is the slowstick pioneer....lol ask him he will tell you how they used to power the slowsticks when he was a kid with a coal burning motor

-kuzi-
That's funny! Made me think of the Flintstones. :D

Actually I was wondering about using the typhoon batteries. I found an amazing thread (about 64 pages long!) on the slow stick on RC groups which answers most questions but gives an upper voltage range of 9.6V. The Typhoon's are 10.8. Not sure if I'd burn up something or if it's just a weight issue. I suppose I could just buy a motor and ESC that would handle it, maybe get a brushless setup right off the bat and beef up the wings a little. I could maybe have one lighter battery for AP.

Another option, since the Typhoon is untouched I think I could return it for store credit and just invest in a good SS setup and think about a Typhoon later.

I'm still tempted to defy wisdom and make a really hopped up SS with the Typhoon parts (the bonehead route I guess).

One other thing, if I keep the Typhoon why would I buy a different radio?

Thanks for the input
Arlie

Fred's great, great, great, great, great, great grandson here to answer all of your questions regarding the old venerable GWS Slow Stick.:D

The reason for the voltage limit is that the motor is a 6V affair and won't last long if used with anything higher than 9.6V, though I have seen people drive them with three cell Li-Po packs (11.1V) for a few spectacular flights.:eek:

I would recommend for you to Stick (no pun intended) with a 9.6V pack, though it will fly just as nice on 8.4V.:)

A welcome mod to the Slow Stick is the Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT outrunner ($29.90) on two cell Li-Pos spinning an 11X3.8SF APC propeller.:D

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 02:16 AM
in dont forget how crude the r/c was back then ..ya had to throw rocks at the tail till it went in the direction ya wanted it to go

-kuzi-

Now I get your drift Kuz!

That's the way my ancestor Fred used to fly his, via Rock Control. It was also called R/C wasn't it?:D

Idaho
01-06-2006, 06:16 AM
A welcome mod to the Slow Stick is the Hobby Lobby Esskay 400XT outrunner ($29.90) on two cell Li-Pos spinning an 11X3.8SF APC propeller.:D
[/quote]

Many thanks to the Venerable Fred the VII. (new handle?):)

I have a nice charger that doesn't do li-po. Wouldn't the 400XT be a good upgrade even with NiMH? I'm assuming not just better power but longer flight time with throttle management.

Arlie

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Duplicate Post. A sure sign of Old Age creeping in. Sorry guys!:o

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Many thanks to the Venerable Fred the VII. (new handle?):)

I have a nice charger that doesn't do li-po. Wouldn't the 400XT be a good upgrade even with NiMH? I'm assuming not just better power but longer flight time with throttle management.

Arlie

You are welcome my Slow Stick son.:D

Matter of fact, one member in our group flies his Slow Stick on both seven as well as eight cell NiMHs, spinning 10X4.7SF APC propellers. He refers to his Slow Stick as a Porker because it weighs in at 18.4 or so ounces. It handles stiff breezes much better than mine at 10.6 AUW.:p

Matter of fact, the Typhoon battery pack @ 10.8V with a 9X3.6SF APC propeller will fly it superbly well, while the can motor supplied with the Stick won't survive more than 20 flights under those conditions.:o

Slow Stick Fred the VII has thus spoken.:eek:[/quote]

Idaho
01-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Much for Grasshopper Slow Stick to ponder.

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Much for Grasshopper Slow Stick to ponder.

That could be a very nice handle!:D

"Grasshopper Slow Stick"

Idaho
01-06-2006, 08:01 AM
That could be a very nice handle!:D

"Grasshopper Slow Stick"

Yup. It suits so I think I'll swap to that if it's allowed. I don't even have one yet but it's going to happen. I'm imagining a green SS with grasshopper graphics...lol

Grasshopper is pondering (dangerous I know). I found a great build-up list but didn't see anything about an ESC that would allow me to start with the stock can motor and graduate to brushless. Is this possible?

Grasshopper

Rugar
01-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Grasshopper is pondering (dangerous I know). I found a great build-up list but didn't see anything about an ESC that would allow me to start with the stock can motor and graduate to brushless. Is this possible?

Grasshopper

Brushed and brushless motors each use a different ESC specifically for each type of motor. But ESC's for brushed motors can be had for fairly cheap.

qban_flyer
01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Yup. It suits so I think I'll swap to that if it's allowed. I don't even have one yet but it's going to happen. I'm imagining a green SS with grasshopper graphics...lol

Grasshopper
Pondering Grasshopper,

Brushed motors operate on direct current and have two wires coming out of their cans, they are also relatively inexpensive.
Brushless on the other hand, are alternating current motors. They have three wires coming out of their cans. Brushless motors are also more efficient when compared to brushed types and cost more $$$s.

Each needs a specifically dedicated ESC. The only airborne components common to both types are your battery pack, receiver and servos.:)

Idaho
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Thank-you again venerable Fred the VII. (purple for royalty)
Thanks also to Rugar. All input appreciated by the
pondering grasshopper.:)

kuzikood
01-07-2006, 03:22 AM
as far as the new radio is concerened .....you can never have too many radios mnnever
-kuzi-

qban_flyer
01-07-2006, 03:30 AM
as far as the new radio is concerened .....you can never have too many radios mnnever
-kuzi-

I don't know, I think I have too many of them already. Three with eight model memory banks. Two with five model memory and one with seven. That's 41 memories!:eek:

I can hardly tell what plane is on chich radio as it is, let alone getting ten more memories on the new DX6 I'm getting next month. I need a PC to keep track of the models and where they are located.:o

Did ya notice the international Orange I used to demarcate the DX6?:D

kuzikood
01-07-2006, 03:46 AM
ahhh thats memories im talkin actual radios
physical beings on batterypowered tv interferance hahahaha...cuz i only have two aircraft radios one 3channel with mixing and one jr 4 channel...
im so depressed now:(

-kuzi-

qban_flyer
01-07-2006, 09:04 AM
ahhh thats memories im talkin actual radios
physical beings on batterypowered tv interferance hahahaha...cuz i only have two aircraft radios one 3channel with mixing and one jr 4 channel...
im so depressed now:(

-kuzi-

I have a collection of old radios. Some are floor standing, some are Katalin table top models as well as wooden ones, then I have some plastic portables from the 50s and the 60s. One more thing, I do mixing with them. At times I have several going at the same time, if that ain't mixing, I don't know what is!:p

I have some lovely sounding vacum tube units as well as some early transistor ones. That's what we called them back then, transistor radios. Solid State as a term came much later on.:D

Wanna talk some more about old radios?:confused:

Idaho
01-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Grasshopper took a wild hop today.:eek:
The Typhoon went back to the store.
Sorry to disappoint venerable Fred the VII but i did not come home with a slow stick.

In a strange twist of fate the most experienced flyer guru who frequents this particular LHS was there and I came under his spell, with the result being a lighter pocketbook and the following gear:

E-flite mini ULTRA STICK :eek:
E-flite 40 amp brushless ESC
Outrunner Park 480 brushless motor (910 Kv) :eek:
Apogee 3-cell 2480 Li-Po
Multiplex LN-5014 charger
Spektrum DX6 radio :eek:

Is this crazy or what? I'm not sure as I think the spell is still in effect.
I like this airplane even while it's still in the box! :D
Hope I don't kill it too quickly. :(
I do think I'll get a slow stick later when the spell subsides.

Anyone here flying the mini ULTRA STICK?

Spellbound Grasshopper

Rugar
01-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Anyone here flying the mini ULTRA STICK?

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3130

Quite a few are. :D

qban_flyer
01-08-2006, 05:33 AM
Idaho,

I have no idea as to the extent of your R/C flying experience. If it is plentiful, then the M.U.S. will be OK. If, on the other hand it is not, I can assure you the M.U.S. will meet its demise much quicker than the Slow Stick did, which IMHO is a very easy to fly trainer.:)

The MUS is much quicker in response and unlike the Slow Stick it will not self recover. It is a 3D aerobatic plane. Again, it all depends on the R/C flight time experience you have under your belt.

Sorry to hear about your Slow Stick loss.:o Curious to learn about the circumstances of its demise. PM me if you are up to discussing it.:)

Idaho
01-09-2006, 03:12 AM
I guess I talked a lot about the SS for not even having one!
As I said, I still think I'll get one, maybe even before trying out the MUS, maybe just a stock setup.
I've been thinking the MUS may be a bit much as I've only flown the Firebird XL and FMS.
Of course there are replacement parts available for the MUS.
I appreciate the advice.:)

kuzikood
01-09-2006, 03:20 AM
i slaped together my worn tattered duct taped slowstick back together today after i came back from the feild with my scorpio three dee 400 tied some orange tape streamers about 5 foot long to the fuse and each wing tip and buzzed around the yard and culdesac.... tormenting the outdoor cats lol

god life is great when youre flying a $30 plane with over 150 flights on it ....no worries

the ss is great no question 7cell 1200 nims gws 1060 prop d gearing mini servos not nano and a focus 3 radio .....and a wing with over 300 flights and never buckled.....i could set it ablaze and be out maybe 50 bucks with depreciation! not that i would i love my ss
-kuz-

kuzikood
01-09-2006, 03:32 AM
the life of my SS is as follows

wing=#1st
fuse=#3rd
gearbox/motor#6th
tailfeathers#2nd
receiver#3rd
servos#3rd set
ecs#2nd
and ive gone thru about 50 props at 3bucks a piece

lol so do the math..now ya see why i cant afford lipoly lol

-kuzi
gravity expert!

Idaho
01-09-2006, 03:47 AM
That's actually very useful information for giving perspective on the whole thing - thanks.

Idaho
01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking since I have the brushless setup for the MUS why not get slope glider SS and put in a brushless.
Then a couple 2 cell li-pos - (EP 1400 for $15.00).
Anyone know of a decent deal for a brushless for the SS?
(It's gonna be a green hopper)
I guess I'm off the AP topic - oops.
I do want to set up for that.

kuzikood
01-11-2006, 12:09 AM
now dont get me wrong its been the best money ive ever spent in rc:) i just did a new mod to my slowstick i took 2 lil 12volt light bulbs that are used in car instrument pannel lights wired them in parralell directly to the motor leads so when the power is on the lights are on to the leading edge of the wing tips making sure the bulbs dont directly touch the foam...it s great it lights up the bottoms of the wings and acts like headlights ...its super fun and super visable even in pitch black night ill take pics later and post them lotsa fun with a 30 dollar airplane

-kuzi-

Idaho
01-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Your post did not discourage me from going with a SS, quite the opposite. I think I'll like the MUS but I might not like bashing it and with my skimpy experience I should really have something "bashable".

I love the idea of these fun modifications - I like creative "make it work" projects and the SS is obviously a great platform for that. I'd like to see your lights.

Here's my latest "make it work" project. I shot string with a bow and arrow into two trees about 60 feet up, hung a pulley and rope, hauled up my video camera on the end of light PVC for camera control to try and see if there's line of sight from my place to a transmitter for high speed internet. The company gets signal 100 yds from my property but not at mine. Worked but I need a break in the weather - too many clouds. Clearly I have a need for aerial photography! :D

kuzikood
01-11-2006, 02:33 AM
best tip i can give you on the ss is buy lots of extra propellers and why you are at the hobby shop take the fuse out of the box take it over to the bals sticks and find a hard balsa stick that is just a hair too big to fit inside and buy it gut it about 6 inches long and jam it down the front should be a snugg fit but shouldnt distirt the aluminum
put the loaded sise for the front

-kuzi-