PDA

View Full Version : Strange Crash

idealhobbies
05-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Last Wednesday Newjak and I were flying at our local park. It was warm and we encountered a lot of turbulance (thermals). Winds were calm, maybe 2 to 3 miles an hour. The thermals were plentiful and we were catching rides on them.

The strange crash...

I was following Newjak at about 25 feet or so. We were both coming around lining up for a landing. Newjak's plane suddenly pitched down and went straight to the ground... he recovered.... Being right behind him, my Gemini did the same thing in the same spot.... mine did not recover. My tail shot straight up and she went straight in. I gave all the elevator that I could and nothing helped. Broken prop, bent shaft, and some cracks in the foam. Not bad at all considering the speed and altitude.

Best we could come up with was possibly that we encountered a strong low thermal, and the tails of the craft being the lighter surfaces caught it and rose. It was definately strange.

Fly Time
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
What goes up must come down. Holds true for columns of air in a thermal.

It once happened to me in a full sized Cessna 182, thankfully with some altitude to spare. My brother was flying us up the Columbia River Gorge east of Portland. My cell phone rang and I loosened the seat belt to get it out of my pocket. 30 seconds later, we hit a strong updraft and the plane lurched up hard, then a second or two later we hit the corresponding downdraft that pushed the plane down just as hard. Everything that wasn't secured lifted into the air and scattered around the cabin. Since I had loosened my seatbelt, I rose up off my seat and my head punched though the plexiglass window in the ceiling of the plane, causing a rush of air into the cabin! :eek:

With our maps blowing all over the cabin and little pieces of broken plexiglass fluttering down into the Columbia River, my brother cranked the plane around 180 degrees and we headed back to the airport to assess the damage. We were trying to fly to Moab, Utah for some mountain biking, but that little incident set us back a few hours.

Since it would have taken several days to get a new window from Cessna, we made a temporary repair with plexiglass and duct tape from Home Depot and headed on our way again. :D

buzkil
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
What goes up must come down. Holds true for columns of air in a thermal.

It once happened to me in a full sized Cessna 182, thankfully with some altitude to spare. My brother was flying us up the Columbia River Gorge east of Portland. My cell phone rang and I loosened the seat belt to get it out of my pocket. 30 seconds later, we hit a strong updraft and the plane lurched up hard, then a second or two later we hit the corresponding downdraft that pushed the plane down just as hard. Everything that wasn't secured lifted into the air and scattered around the cabin. Since I had loosened my seatbelt, I rose up off my seat and my head punched though the plexiglass window in the ceiling of the plane, causing a rush of air into the cabin! :eek:

With our maps blowing all over the cabin and little pieces of broken plexiglass fluttering down into the Columbia River, my brother cranked the plane around 180 degrees and we headed back to the airport to assess the damage. We were trying to fly to Moab, Utah for some mountain biking, but that little incident set us back a few hours.

Since it would have taken several days to get a new window from Cessna, we made a temporary repair with plexiglass and duct tape from Home Depot and headed on our way again. :D

OUCH!! Was it a rental?

Down drafts are just as common as up drafts. You have to punch through them hard and try again. Unfortunatly they happen closer to the ground. It happens to my heli all the time when I'm about 3 feet off the ground. Sorry for your loss.

Fly Time
05-20-2008, 11:29 PM
OUCH!! Was it a rental?

Down drafts are just as common as up drafts. You have to punch through them hard and try again. Unfortunatly they happen closer to the ground. It happens to my heli all the time when I'm about 3 feet off the ground. Sorry for your loss.
Club plane, so no extra cost to us. Makes a great story. The whole trip actually. Traveling cross country in a small plane is always interesting!

buzkil
05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Club plane, so no extra cost to us. Makes a great story. The whole trip actually. Traveling cross country in a small plane is always interesting!

Yes it is. Helps to have a co-pilot/navigator as well to pass the time away. Eyelids start to get pretty heavy after a few hours of boardom.