PDA

View Full Version : I kamakazi'd my Zero

Wrench66
05-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, it happens to me once in a while.....as I've read a couple of other threads regarding the same situation......and that is......disorientation :blah:.
I lost my Zero from about 80ft up, full throttle just exiting a cool inverted to roll right move, I just didn't realize that it had rolled over another 90 degrees!:<:
It made a sickening thud sound as it hit the grass at our schoolyard/field this morning.
And ya know of course, the damm thing had been flying so well and I finally had the bugs worked out of it (still needed more motor though:p) and now I punch it in. It did nothing wrong....I DID:Q

Check the pics, I'm surprised the motor mount I made for it held up so well for hitting pretty much straight in. Granted, it is built like a tank though:).

It's on the rack right now getting the once over to see just how much hot glue and epoxy will be needed to put this one back in action again.

best wishes,
Ray

Tireshred
05-15-2008, 04:51 PM
I did pretty much the same thing with FU4 Corsair, I wonder if it's the Zero vs Corsair from WWII rivalry? Sorry about the crash, but we all have them, it's part of the "fun".

FlyWheel
05-16-2008, 03:15 AM
After looking at those pictures, all I can suggest is that you download a moving version of "Amazing Grace"... http://mescal.pixelized.ch/smilies/dead.gif

FlyingMonkey
05-16-2008, 11:24 AM
but, the yellow!

you weren't supposed to get disoriented, the yellow prevents that!

:D

you have more foam, right? ;)

Wrench66
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Yes friends, as bad as it seemed that fateful day last week, the Zero is infact back up in the skys over Chino!
When she broke apart upon impact it looked as though I would be pulling the radio gear and power systems from it and moving on. Well, upon closer inspection, and after properly consuming more alcholic refreshments than absolutely nessasary, it seemed she wasn't quite all that bad.
Epoxy, CA and generous amounts of thermal adhesive have allowed my Zero to once again patrol the skies. He also now sports a fresh coat of Olive Drab and has earned a pair of fuse stripes.
A little heavier yes, but flies great just the same (actually it seems to fly even better with the added weight:)). Just this morning I flew my first Split-S and immelman (sp??) moves....really cool, never did those before on purpose!:p
I am wiser now on the devastating effects of:
1. disorientation, and
2. the dreaded death spiral.

American fight planes beware.....the rising sun does indeed. ha-so!

best to all,
Ray

FlyWheel
05-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Congrats. however, should this become a habit, may I recommend you buy a good size battleship model to take with you to the field?http://mescal.pixelized.ch/smilies/laugh.gif

FlyingMonkey
05-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Yes friends, as bad as it seemed that fateful day last week, the Zero is infact back up in the skys over Chino!

Have you been to the air museum in Chino?

Every air magazine I read, features planes from Chino...

Wrench66
05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Boy, you don't know how many days I spent over at that airstrip just looking at all the old planes that were just sitting outside waiting their turn to be restored! I've lived in Chino since '75 and for as long as I can remember we've always had vintage birds flying over the neighborhoods.....me and my friends would come streaking out of our houses whenever we would hear the unmistakeable rumble of those melodically beautiful piston engines....be it radial or the inline stuff ala Allison or Merlin....we loved them all.
I was just over at the Chino Air Show last weekend and it just keeps getting better and better. The planes are the show of course, but my kick is getting to talk with some of the surviving pilots from the WW2 era. Soooo many awesome stories and tales that you'd need more time than 2 days to hear them all......jaw on the deck of course the entire time! :<::)

They do have a Zero there, a later A6M5, that looks great and flys quite well, that supposedly has the only original operating 14cyl radial in the world. It usually stays in the show hanger except in May when they gas her up and take off.
I have some video I am compiling to put up in our videos area here, stay tuned 'cause there was a bad @$$ Hawker that buzzed me and my camera at approx 400mph! Hooo weeeeeeeeee!!!:eek::eek::D

Voyager2lcats
05-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey Wrench, way to go! A lot of people would have thrown that plane in the trash and walked away. You did the right thing in repairing it, because now you have a great sense of accomplishment whenever you fly it. What's even better is somehow the repairs improved the flight dynamics.;)

Bob

gfdengine204
05-25-2008, 12:37 AM
When she broke apart upon impact it looked as though I would be pulling the radio gear and power systems from it and moving on. Well, upon closer inspection, and after properly consuming more alcholic refreshments than absolutely nessasary, it seemed she wasn't quite all that bad.
Epoxy, CA and generous amounts of thermal adhesive have allowed my Zero to once again patrol the skies. He also now sports a fresh coat of Olive Drab and has earned a pair of fuse stripes.
A little heavier yes, but flies great just the same (actually it seems to fly even better with the added weight:)). Just this morning I flew my first Split-S and immelman (sp??) moves....really cool, never did those before on purpose!:p
I am wiser now on the devastating effects of:
1. disorientation, and
2. the dreaded death spiral.

American fight planes beware.....the rising sun does indeed. ha-so!

best to all,
Ray

Hmmmmm, time to pre-flight my P-47.......

Ray, Congrats on the repairs and refits! Just watch your six! "Eat lead, Slant!"

Pudknocker71
05-28-2008, 01:09 AM
I gota read the crash forums more often.:Q