PDA

View Full Version : GP Fokker DVII color

cliffh
05-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Does anyone have a Monokote (or similar film) color that is a real good match for the red on Great Planes Fokker DVII red?

My kit just arrived yesterday that is covered nicely with the exception of one aileron that has an extremely poor covering job.

I'm going to contact the company, but just in case, I'd like a matching color.

Cliff

Bill G
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have a Monokote (or similar film) color that is a real good match for the red on Great Planes Fokker DVII red?

My kit just arrived yesterday with one aileron that is covered nicely with the exception of one aileron that has an extremely poor covering job.

I'm going to contact the company, but just in case, I'd like a matching color.

Cliff
I've noticed that different rolls of Monokote red are not even the same color. Red is a tough color to formulate and match, and you may be best off just matching it right at the hobby shop, comparing a roll to the plane.

If you recover all of it, Econokote is pretty durable stuff, but lighter than the full weight Monokote. I covered my Guillows DR1 conversion with good results.

re3626
05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
I had the same problem with both aileron tips broken on arrival , good ol red packing tape matched almost perfectly , but there are sometimes different reds in tape also

cliffh
05-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Well I contacted Great Planes and they are sending me some replacement covering. I'm thinking that even if the color isn't an exact match, it might not look too bad if I cover both ailerons. Guess I'll know in a couple days. I might have to take the suggestion of going to the hobby shop and comparing colors right there. Problem with that is that they most likely will only have one color also.

degreen60
05-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Just cover it with red and call it a WW1 field repair.

Biplane Murphy
05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Just cover it with red and call it a WW1 field repair.

My GP Fokker DVII has had numerous WW1 Field repairs....LOL
Some red, and some black.....It has survived much "battle damage"...;-)

Red Monocote matched it quite well.....

cliffh
05-18-2008, 08:49 PM
My GP Fokker DVII has had numerous WW1 Field repairs....LOL
Some red, and some black.....It has survived much "battle damage"...;-)

Red Monocote matched it quite well.....

I have some red Monocote, but it looks quite "orange" when held up to my Fokker. Great Planes said they are sending me some "True Red Monokote". I'll see how it matches. They make a few shades of red I've peeled both ailerons and I'll get them covered soon.

In the mean time, I've painted my pilot and installed some cockpit gauges.

Biplane Murphy
05-18-2008, 09:59 PM
"True Red" is the Red I have.....I had to go look after you mentioned that...:)

cliffh
05-22-2008, 08:31 PM
"True Red" is the Red I have.....I had to go look after you mentioned that...:)

Yep, and the UPS truck just delivered my roll of Monokote True Red and it is a perfect match. Now to recover those ailerons.

Biplane Murphy
05-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Sweet!!....You will love this plane....I know that I Love mine....I have had countless flights with her....:)

Forge
06-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Sweet!!....You will love this plane....I know that I Love mine....I have had countless flights with her....:)

Murphy,

I finished building this plane a few weeks ago and have yet to maiden it. Did you need to add weight to balance the CG correctly? I built it with all of the recommended Great Planes parts and I need to add almost 2oz of weight to the front of the plane to get it balancing.

Does this sound correct? Thanks.

I don't have an accurate scale to take the AUW, and I don't want to overload the plane.

Forge

Biplane Murphy
06-11-2008, 01:45 AM
Murphy,

I finished building this plane a few weeks ago and have yet to maiden it. Did you need to add weight to balance the CG correctly? I built it with all of the recommended Great Planes parts and I need to add almost 2oz of weight to the front of the plane to get it balancing.

Does this sound correct? Thanks.

I don't have an accurate scale to take the AUW, and I don't want to overload the plane.

Forge

I didn't have to add any weight, but I squeezed a 3s 2100mah Lipo in the battery bay.....

Also I have a park 480 in the nose instead of the recommended rimfire motor....

So I could see having to add some weight in the nose, since mine balanced perfectly with all that heavier/bigger gear.....

Forge
06-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Murphy,

Thanks for the input! I do have a larger (heavier) 1800mah battery from my T-28, maybe I'll modify the battery compartment slightly

Good flying.

Forge

WWI Ace
06-12-2008, 06:07 PM
You guys are making me want to put mine together!! Problem is, I'm out of hangar space right now!! Steve

Biplane Murphy
06-12-2008, 06:12 PM
You guys are making me want to put mine together!! Problem is, I'm out of hangar space right now!! Steve

Hang her from the ceiling.....;-)

WWI Ace
06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
My wife won't stand still long enough for me to get the rope around her neck!! Or were you talking about the airplane? Steve

Biplane Murphy
06-13-2008, 02:13 AM
My wife won't stand still long enough for me to get the rope around her neck!! Or were you talking about the airplane? Steve

LOL....I was talking about the plane....:Q