PDA

View Full Version : Electrifly Fokker D.VII repaint

Hotch
05-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Here's my Fokker D.VII repainted as Ernst Udet's "Du doch nicht!!" machine. There's a lot of speculation about how this plane was painted. This is my interpretation.

Balil
05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
great paint job, top wing kinda looks candy-cane ish, someone waitin on santa claus?

barmonkey
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Looks very nice Hotch! Of course inquiring minds want to know how you did the losenge on the lower wing...Did you use a tissue overlay?

Grasshopper
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Nice job Hotch.

Hotch
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks. I did the 4 color lozenge by resizing and printing out the pattern 3 times on inkjet transparency film. I cut out the film with an exacto knife so I had masks for thee colors. I mixed the upper and lower colors by eyeballing them. I painted the wing with one of the colors and used the masks to airbrush the other three. It worked out really well and went fast (faster then the stripes). The loose mask left soft edges, which is a little more forgiving when lining the pattern up. I also think it looks better then a hard crisp line.

Hotch
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
After looking at the original again, I may have to redo the "Du doch nicht!!" I painted it to small.

Loose translation: "You're not the one"

7car7
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Looks great! Love the paint scheme. I personally wouldn't worry about the text being too small, It works fine to me anyway.

I always thought it meant "Surely not you". But I may have that wrong, That's just based on what I heard someone else say.

Hotch
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
The babelfish translation is "You nevertheless not", so I guess "Surely not you" is a good translation (better then mine)

7car7
05-19-2008, 05:37 PM
They all say the same basic thing I suppose! A message of confidence!

I've always wondered how many non-German pilots had the chance to see that and come back wondering what it meant.

Hotch
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
From what I've read, this crate was shot out from under Udet rather quickly. I guess some Brit could read German and took it as a challenge! Needless to say, Udet didn't put this little antagonistic quip on his new bird!

WWI Ace
05-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I like it Hotch!! I have one of these planes and I don't want mine "stock" colors either. You've inspired me. I'm gonna put the D7 book that Marty sent me to use!! Steve

Hotch
05-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Meyer's plane was my second choice. There are so many cool D.VII paint schemes to choose from, the hardest part was making up my mind!

semeraro
05-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Nice looking ship. I am doing up mine in the same scheme. I used some lozenge solartex from Airizona Model Crafters for the bottom wing and bottom of the stab. I covered it with nelson lite fab. I am going to paint it with floquil this weekend. Very nice job.

Dave

Hotch
05-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I just scuffed the Monocote with a Scotchbrite pad and alcohol then blasted it with Testors paint. I should have removed the white stripes from the tail before I painted it thought. Fortunately it's not to obvious in real life.

I so want to get a kit from Arizona Model Crafters! A Proctor 1/4 scale DVII is my goal. I need A LOT more stick time before I lay out that kind of scratch and put that kind of effort into a nice plane though.

Biplane Murphy
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Boy would I like a Proctor kit....those are sooooooooo nice....

hillbille
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
You guys might just as well go ahead and buy a Proctor kit now - long as it will take you to build one you'll both be expert class pilots before the builds are done!! LOL! If I got one I would never finish it probably - too man details and I would want it just right! That's why I am truly impressed when I see other build them and double that when I see someone - anyone - fly one. Usually you need to attend a Scale Masters competition to see one flown as most guys that have invested the time and effort noo to mention the scratch just don't take them out for everyday flying.

I got lucky enough early on to attend two separate Scale Masters events - at the now defunct Mile Square Park. Two days each time I went and I was just absolutely stunned at the planes put into the air. Awsome! Gonna have to do that again nowadays!!

Hillbille :D

Backyardace
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Great job Hotch

That should make it easy to see in the air.