PDA

View Full Version : small Royal kits?

Flytoolow
01-04-2006, 04:35 AM
does anyone know if i can still get royal kits? or any one else that makes a simular kit to th eroyal still being produced? i am looking mostly 1/2a and .20 size for a small electric.

E-Challenged
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I think that Royal is out of business, the importer was located in Colorado as I recall. The kits were known for heavy construction and would probably be a real challenge to lighten up enough for good performance as electric power conversions. If you are interested in good flight performance without having to do a lot of modification and lightening, consider the new E-Flight foam P-47. It is easier to get good performance and durability from foam warbirds than built-up balsa designs.
Jim Ryan still sells sheeted foam wing balsa fuselage warbird models that fly well on direct drive Speed 400's and small brushless/lipo setups. House of Balsa sells a Ziroli-designed
electric P51 that might suit you. Most lipo-powered models, especially short nosed ones, need to have the lipo pack mounted right up in the nose next to the motor to help with getting the cg right.

BTW, you can watch E-Bay for old Royal kits.

Flytoolow
01-04-2006, 05:01 PM
I just saw a Royal 1/2a Spitfire MKI converted to electric, flyes scale, fast, and is a dream in the sky. also have flowen it and a 1/2a zero. i want the kits or plans for my own, so i can build and fly.

Sky Sharkster
01-05-2006, 01:22 AM
To Flytoolow, the Royal kits were produced right here in Denver. I even have a N.I.B. 1/2A Mustang! (No, it's not for sale). Anyway I posted a bunch of Military aircraft links, kits, ARFs and plans sources on the "Warbirds" Forum. Another plans source is Everything from the past 20 years or so from Model Airplane News, http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/plans.asp?catego=PL
There's lots of info out there, good luck!
Ron

patsyw26
06-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi, I know this is a gas powered plane, but I am trying to see if anyone has any information about it. It is suppose to be The Cherry by Royal, but I have not found any information about it. It was built about 1973 (while friend stationed in Alaska) and was balsa wood.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patsy

Tercels
12-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Hello flytoolow,
I've got a 1/2A Royal Corsair down in the basement, complete and unstarted with Two cockpit kits in it, that I'll sell to you if your interested. I've also got the large P-51, Jap Zero, FW-190, and Corsair Royal kits as well, but I can't bear to part with them.
As a point of interest, the old Royal catalog I have indicates that Royal was on the verge of producing a Hellcat, a P-40, and a Black Widow when they went by the wayside, Such a pity!
All best regards, Joey (Tercels)

Royal-Corsair
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I've got a 1/2a royal spit but I'm lacking the plans, canopy, and wire gear.... if they had any wire gear.... I can make the canopy though.

greenthumb25
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
i don't think they are making these models anymore

cyclops2
10-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I donated my Royal UC P61 Black Widow to the Mid Atlantic Air Museum. It is there to help raise funds for restoring a real Widow.

Rich

It is heavy when fully RCd.