PDA

View Full Version : How not to fly a Super Cub

Sabrehawk
05-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi folks, well todays flying session had it's ups, and it's downs, and some foolery.

But there was one newcomer to grace our presence today who wins the prize for getting 100% of everyones attention for his entire flight.:silly::<:!!

I had a look over this fellas plane and found that the gearbox shaft housing was broken in two and had the prop/shaft slopping all over.
But he flew it anyway.:confused:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/th_HownottoflyaSuperCub.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b370/SabreHawk1/?action=view&current=HownottoflyaSuperCub.flv)

FlyingMonkey
05-25-2008, 12:55 PM
That man should be flying somewhere there isn't cars, buildings, people, anything....

Sabrehawk
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Well yeah, I mean both Kosh and I were looking over his plane just after he arrived, and we knew he was a beginner and all so we gave him as much advice as was prudent. And im sure one of us there would have been willing to fly it for him an lend some instruction.
I had walked back over to my Jeep and was about to fly something myself thinking he'd set about fixing what I'd pointed out and even advised him that a nearby hobby shop a couple blocks away would have what he needed(Gearbox) and it was a simple & cheap fix. I didnt even think he was gonna fly it.
Thats when I heard it take off, and I swung around to look(in disbelief) and with my camera still in my hand I got some video of it.
I finally stopped shooting when it was getting too likely to get hit in the head and I then went back to hiding under my Jeep's rear hatch with my buddy.:D

GreenAce92
05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
your suppose to land with the plane coming from behind you???
i land mine facing me..
id say he did pretty good

Sabrehawk
05-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah he did pretty good not to have hit anyone.:D But as far as Im concerned that was just blind luck.

However I geuss it does speak well of the Super Cub's toughness, and ability to fly even with damged parts, and at the hands of a beginner and still survive.

Kosh
05-25-2008, 07:35 PM
I would have enjoyed his flight more if I wasn't so busy ducking for cover, Not shown in the video is some truly close calls and more than once I pictured a SuperCub sticking out of my ear. :rolleyes:

In time he will fly it ok and its the over correction syndrome many new pilots suffer from and need to outgrow. I forgot Sabrehawk was filming so thanks for sharing, The video doesn't really do justice to some really freighting moments for all. There was NO place safe and hiding between cars offered little protection as he came at us from above completely out of control. :blah:

Kosh

dk_aero
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Yikes! Kubikaze!

Sabrehawk
05-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah I missed alot of it, I mean he kept catching me off gaurd. Just when I thought he wasnt gonna take off again there'd he'd go.

I had turned the camera off after the crash where it cartwheeled over there behind us cause I thought that would be it.
But Neeeeoooo he took off again from right there, behind our cars!!
Basicly from behind the pits.:eek:
I couldnt get the camera resarted quickly enough, but was just as well cause I felt more like staying put under the Jeep's hatch.:D

Later when I thought he was once again done and battery dead, he tries still to take off again! This time though he was well over there away from us so I got that.
Thats where the video cuts to after I had it pointed at the ground.(Didnt realize it was still taping for a few momments, sorry.)
So yeah there was a lot of antics I didnt get cause I was taking cover myself!:silly:

Figure.N9ne
05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
the park i fly at by my house is always loaded with other flyers. the occasional careless newbie comes out and we try to point them in the right direction. most of the time they ignore us and keep flying behinds themselves and over the other flyers and our cars that are behind the flight line. 99% of the time darwin takes care of them though and they clip a light pole and end up in a tree. thats whats great about this hobby, the idiots weed themselves out.

Sabrehawk
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Yup, thats just the trouble in this age. You can get a good job with good pay and still be a moron.

See when I was a kid our moms & dads let us play with guns, knives, and firecrackers, there was no such thing as kneepads, wrist braces, and helmets. And paint still had lead in it, and well...........the idiots just didnt make it to adulthood. All those paint chips would get cashed in early.:D

Nowdays these same types are a "protected species" and have made it into adulthood and are even driving cars.:eek::D

Balil
05-26-2008, 12:15 AM
i must say for the most part i worked through my learning curve the old way. had an experienced pilot look over my pts mustang *1st plane* had him put it up and trim it out. then we buddy boxed until my reciever pack went dead. on the final flight of the day i was able to take off and fly large circuts around the field and do "3-point landings" 2 wheels and a wing tip :D i kept that plane in 1 piece until i got out of slimers, i finally got rid of the airframe last week. if it wouldnt have cost me $400 a battery i would have converted it to e-flight

kluts
05-26-2008, 12:22 AM
LOL what an idiot. in the vidio