PDA

View Full Version : Airbrush booth help needed

rahtware
08-09-2005, 06:49 AM
Any ideas out there on a blower for an airbrush booth? I have the perfect spot in my garage to build one, in front of a window (for light) and an old pet door below (for venting the fumes). I also have most of the materials to build one… Except for the venting (blower) motor. I have been told that I need one that won’t catch fire when paint fumes go through it… I guess that is sorta important :D

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

olmod
08-09-2005, 07:41 AM
one of the old style heating duct blowers the slow belt driven type are good as the motor is remote from the airstream some call them scroll type but really they are tangentals, a downdraft system is good,;) a box like structure with a grill 4 to 6'' below the rim to stand your work on that way overspray is no problem,suck the air out from the bottom and if you can mount the blower outside so you can hear yourself think :D cheers Lez.

rahtware
08-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Lez

Thanks for the info, This is exactly what I needed to Know.

ForestCam
08-10-2005, 02:54 AM
You could use any fan with an induction motor, no brushes = no sparks = no BOOM! :)

John Seidelman
08-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Also you could add a furnace filter to keep any stray overspray from landing on the Chevy

rahtware
08-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Induction motor help.

What about computer fans? I notice that they are DC brushless and extremely cheap. I was thinking about 3 or 4 of these, side-by-side would do the job. Any ideas about this?

ForestCam
08-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Those will work and some really move the air @ 24v! :D

rahtware
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Those will work and some really move the air @ 24v! :D

Something tells me that you are the kind of guy that gets about 10 flights out of his motors before they burn up....;)

rahtware
08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Guys

Located three 24V, 6" fans and power supply at a local computer store! I think this booth might actually happen.

olmod
08-12-2005, 01:01 PM
suggestion is a pad of BAF bonded acrylic fibre in the bottom of the box is good as a disposable filter.;)

rahtware
08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
OK, I'll bite...

What is this BAF stuff, and where can I find it???

jaleonard3
08-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Use an inexpensive range hood. I have used one for years mounted on top of a wooden box booth with a dryer hose to vent the fumes outdoors.

rahtware
08-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Use an inexpensive range hood. I have used one for years mounted on top of a wooden box booth with a dryer hose to vent the fumes outdoors.

I checked these out at a local Home Depot but was talked out of it by the salesman as they all had disclaimers about any other use then above a range.

ForestCam
08-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Too bad you're on the wrong coast 'cause I toss range hoods on a regular basis. Sure they may be a little greasy but they'll work.

Check into scratch and dent sales.;)

rahtware
08-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the offer. I've already picked up three-six inch fans and a power supply for them... Total out so far = $29.00.

I started out with a very simple design, but found I needed storage for compressor, spray equipment, paints etc. My "simple design" has now become a major build... A cabinet with built-in venting, storage bins, folding hood, removable top etc.

As this is taking too long, I have put the DC3 on hold and bought a BN2 (prop version). No painting for this one! I am just going to use the included stickers so I can get a twin in the air. 25 years in this hobby and this is my first twin!

Thanks again, I will post pics when I get to building the paint station.

olmod
08-22-2005, 02:18 PM
OK, I'll bite...

What is this BAF stuff, and where can I find it???

BAF bonded acrylic fibre used as stuffing

artalba
08-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Spray Booth? Have Airbrushed for thirty + years the only booth used was an open window, through ventilation and most importantly safe media and an industrial mask (gas type vented on side, makes strange gastric sounds when you breath) Acrylic paints used High recommend would have to be Liquitex.

rahtware
08-29-2005, 10:32 PM
ARTALBA

Welcome to WF. Thanks for the info. My problem is the only windowin the garage is on the windy side... ie, if I open the window the paint will blow back at me! Also, would like to do away with the big spray mask.

E-Challenged
10-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I think a small shop vac pulling the bad air through a furnace filter in the bottom of the "booth" and exhausting it outside would work albeit noisy.
The floor of booth could be perforated beaver board and filter beneath it. It would be nice to make the booth collapsible, perhaps of heavy corrugated packing crate material held together with duct tape. Our shop vac came in handy when the city sewer folks blasted the system forcing our sewer to plug up, toilet to overflow, tub and shower to partially fill and leaving an inch of clear water in our main bathroom. Shop vacs are handy when you spill powdery or wet stuff.:)

Nitro Blast
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
At a garage sale once, I bought one of those "blow up" yard decorations. It was $5.00 and was a cool Santa. Well a couple of years and wind storms caused Santa's retirement. What I kept however was the cool blower fan that kept him puffed up. That bugger moves some air, and is real quiet. I have been using it as a paint boot vent ever since.

You can check ebay for those inflatable yard decorations and get them pretty cheap.

Heres an example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Inflatable-Halloween-Mummy-Yard-Decoration-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ5622902115QQcategoryZ31747QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Mark In Aus
02-03-2007, 02:19 AM
I'd be keeping the fan out of the path of fumes unless your using water based stuff like Createx Auto Air. A Belt drive or an "E" rated fan is the safest.
From what I've learned through health and safety regulations concerning spray booths and ventilation fans, there's no way in hell I'd be pumping auto acrylics, 2K's, clearcoats or anything flammable through anything unless it says you can.