PDA

View Full Version : Pusher prop driven planes versus standard prop

fletchrrr
01-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi,
I'm new to e-flight and am looking to purchase a trainer/park flyer plane. My local hobby shop does not recommend, nor sell a plane with a pusher prop, i.e. T-Hawk. They claim that they are too inefficient, and that I should go with a standard front installed prop. It seems to me that a pusher prop would be more ideal for a crash proned flyer like me, and I'm wondering what the experienced folks on this group have to say.

Thanks

aeropal
01-05-2006, 06:36 PM

trogdor
01-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd agree that a pusher type trainer has to be more durable although maybe all those replacement props and replacing bent shafts real did "train" me well in the end..??

Gullwing
01-06-2006, 03:46 AM
I agree with the pusher type trainer, this is the one I learned on. http://www.parkflyers.com/html/begin-air.html It had it share of sudden stops with the ground and other objects, lasted pretty well. CA and epoxy repairs it well............GW

NotAnAceYet
01-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I taught myself to fly with a pusher prop plane - T-Hawk - great plane very durable - pleanty of power. A year later still flying with the original prop. Can't say that for my first "prop in front" plane!

phat23
01-07-2006, 02:32 AM
Hi,
My local hobby shop does not recommend, nor sell a plane with a pusher prop, i.e. T-Hawk. They claim that they are too inefficient, and that I should go with a standard front installed prop.

Well fletch, my recommendation to you is to find a different LHS. What a stupid statement to make.

donjiskra
01-07-2006, 02:44 AM
Hey Fletch don't believe the LHS statement,
check this out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4931

Good luck,
Don :)

watt_the?!
01-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Well fletch, my recommendation to you is to find a different LHS. What a stupid statement to make.

hear hear...what a load of total BS.

in fact the opposite is probably true even.

here's what i do when i suspect someone is talking out of their ar**.....question them to the void....i.e. ask say to them ''oh eight, why's that?''...or try ''thats interesting, tell me more''....''what is it exactly about a prop that defines it's efficiency and how is it so different between pusher and tractor?''...

if they get defensive, agitated, disinterested, turn red or offer a bunch of ''just because'' answers, then chances are they havent a clue.

i must admit that this approach doesnt endear you to everyone, but those who get annoyed by it probably arent worth hooking up with anyways.

Tim.

rocket_jim
01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Unless things have changed recently, the T-Hawk is sold only by mail order.

As far a pusher trainer/parkflyer, there are several available. The Easy Star is a good one. It's really a larger-field plane rather than a parkflyer. Unfortunately there is not a good formal defintion of a parkflyer.

I have some stick time in with the HZ FB Commander II, a RTF pusher-trainer available at a zillion hobby shops. But I learned to my dismay that it really needs a lot of flying space. And the integrated 2-channel radio set isn't good for anything after the plane is destroyed, which happens! Wish now I had started with something 3-channel, and with a removable, reusable radio. I would have spent more up-front, but I'd have more left after the crash.

Any newbie probably needs a really large wide-open space to learn to fly in, rather than something smaller like a football field or such with obstructions.

I have a SS now, and have a weekly budget for props!

fletchrrr
01-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks for all your input, guys. I'm off to purchase an Easy Star, and take advantage of Tower Hobbies $25 internet discount.

Jim