PDA

View Full Version : My first Attempt

simibill
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
This was done using a Vado Pocket Cam from Creative. The original file in .AVI format was 270mb, converted to .MOV format gave a file size of 61mb for a 10 minute video at 640x480. I since edited the length to delete repetitive boring scenery.

I certainly need some help in doing AP as you can see. Mostly how to overcome rapid movement resulting in tipped view of the ground and very poor resolution due to speed I guess. Any and all suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks,

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E568Jy7vWUU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E568Jy7vWUU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Sabrehawk
05-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Heck thats not bad for a first attempt, and well im no expert mind ya but from the videos I've watched it seems the more downward the camera is aimed the worse it turns out. The viewer cant refernce where he is on the plane, and isnt quite sure what direction he's looking. And the feel of flying on/in a plane is lost a bit.

If somehow a part of the plane can be in view that helps tremendously in conveying to the viewer that he is onboard an not just being slung through the air.
Try having the camera aimed backward with the tail in view, or looking out one wing, or straight ahead if you have a pusher or your camera's frame rate allows shooting through the prop without the anoying lines that ususally creates obscuring the view. My flycam one does that terribly.

I also edit mine in windows movie maker, giving it a title a transition or two and some background music of some appropriate choice.
I havent been using it lately, and have only tried it on my Jenny so far but im gonna give it a go on my Christen Eagle soon as I find another good flying site. That should produce some good footage.;-)

simibill
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Good ideas there. I'm going to try mounting my camera on the fuselage side looking out to the wing tip and see what that produces.

aviatordave
06-05-2008, 02:47 AM
I think that camera does pretty good video. You heard most of the tips already in the AP thread it sounds like.

To make the best videos go on days with zero wind. Keep your throttle constant to keep slow steady movement. Avoid hard turns and do everything slowly.....it makes for boring flying, but the video will be good.

Forward or rearward with a slight angle down will yield the best results, sideways shooting can be hard to make smooth.

Just curious, did you try to use wmv format? its a bit more compressed but makes for better filesizes. My videos in my signature are all in wmv at 640 x 480

simibill
06-05-2008, 03:30 AM
Just curious, did you try to use wmv format? its a bit more compressed but makes for better filesizes. My videos in my signature are all in wmv at 640 x 480

The Vado Pocket cam creates .AVI format files - very large - A 15 minute video creates a 342mb file. I open in Quicktime and export to .MOV format which reduces file size to 84mb. I have not tried .wmv format. BTW here is another Vado video: http://www.vimeo.com/user514385/videos