PDA

View Full Version : OLD - float flyers - circa 1970's!!

hillbille
06-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I had posted some of these in another thread here but it wasn't about these aircraft or the particular event that the pictures were taken at. The pictures were taken at Lake Havasu I believe at the Nautical Inn during the 1970's. I really don't remember - thought it may have been in late 1979 or early 1980 but the wife says (she might not always be right - but she is NEVER wrong!!) it had to be before May of 1979 at least!

http://www.bakehead.com/LH_FloatFly/LH_FLOATFLY.htm

Anyway there's the link to the web page I made of the pictures - if anyone has any information - specific to one of the aircraft or pilots or builders - post it here!! If nothing else these are pretty interesting planes for that time. I don't remember any crashes taking place and I believe that all the planes pictured except the Hughes Spruce Goose - flew that day. The Goose to my recollection wasn't completed and was display only.

I recognize the Curtiss, the Supermarine, of course the far outclassed Sopwith, but have trouble with the rest and as these pictures were buried in my garage for over 25 years at least - I haven't a clue who the builders, pilots, or others pictured were!!

Enjoy!!

Hillbille

hillbille
06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
OK - I edited the web page and added numbers to the pictures. Makes it a lot easier to reference when discussing if the picture has a numbered reference.

Hillbille

Kingcrash
06-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Pic #3 is marvelous. A GeeBee Z on floats :D

Great pics. Sorry I can't help you out with builders, etc.

Greg S

hillbille
06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Pic #3 is marvelous. A GeeBee Z on floats :D

Great pics. Sorry I can't help you out with builders, etc.

Greg S

Yep a Gee Bee Z on floats - and I saw it take off and land from the water!! As I recall there was a small flat bottomed boat (2 man) that was used to "retrieve" planes upon landing as the water got fairly rough as the dat wor on. Lake Havasu is a large lake and gets a great deal of use - not as much then as now but a LOT of use year round!!

Hillbille

pd1
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Bill, Here's some from the east coast.

M.A.N article about one of the first RC seaplane events.
That's me in the front of the boat.
68407 68408
Another shot. Had to chuck this one, wouldn't get off the water.

My Sportmaster in 196868409
Another Sportmaster 197068410
Taurus I stuck on float, wasn't supposed to work, but it did ,68411

Newer Falcon 56 modified for class two competition.
Would fly inverted and roll nicely with that setup68412

Trainermaster fuselage and Falcon wing.

hillbille
06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Those are great Paul! I'm only sorry (as I'm sure you are too!) that I didn't take more pictures! Film seemed expensive early on.

Hillbille

pd1
06-08-2008, 12:33 AM
Those are great Paul! I'm only sorry (as I'm sure you are too!) that I didn't take more pictures! Film seemed expensive early on.

Hillbille

Yep, and you had to wait a while to get them developed too.

Only a small fraction of my planes ever got pictures taken of them.

Digital is soo much nicer. Progress.
Paul

hillbille
06-08-2008, 01:00 AM
That's why the pro's used to carry three or four 35mm camers around their neck at events - not just to look the part either - it was so that there was ALWAYS a "loaded" camera available for anything! Most 35mm SLR's of the time might (MIGHT!) give you 40 frames - but the 1st 1 or 2 and the last 1 or 2 were a;ways suspect! You really never knew what you had until days later when it was developed and in those days you paid for the pictures FIRST - then got to see if they were any good AFTER!!! LOL!!

Hillbille

hillbille
06-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Boy Paul this sure brings back the memories! I wosh I had pictures of EVERY plane I owned/flew in the past. I don't mean one snapshot either - I mean pictures! LOL!! I really liked your Sportmaster. Looked absolutely great!! Those Andrews planes were the best, still are if you can find one!!

Must have really been cool to work for/with Lou. Is my Envy showing?? LOL!!

Hillbille

pd1
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Working for Lou was nice. I met a lot of other people while I was there.
I also learned a few tricks in building too.
I have a Mini Master almost done now.

Paul

Hostile
06-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Hey guys thats some great pic's!! I've never gotten up the nerve to try floats. Maybe one day. I have many unanswered questions, but after seeing pic's like these, I keep up hope. I have really enjoyed your photo's guys.
Thanks for posting them up!