PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Pre flight on a used trex 450

tonhe
06-10-2008, 04:15 PM
So, as described in my other posts, i purchased a used trex 450se v2. This is my first heli, and yes, I am going to spend 20+ hrs in the sim (already started on this and realize its going to be a month)+ do Radds before taking it off the ground.

But, before I even start Radds, what should I look for as far as build problems. As you can see from the other post here, I already found one. I also see that the flight bar is rusted, but I'm not too worried about that.. I'll probably be bending it soon enough.

Should I tear down the frame and look for thread lock? Or just take a few random connections out and double check? The guy that built it says he has built several, but I worry after finding the reversed banana plugs.

Thanks for the advice.

-Tony

Adrian
06-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Unless you get the stainless steel versions-mine have been rusty on delivery. Most heli owners fastidious about maintenance so probably little to worry about (other than why sell one of the best small electric helis on the market:confused:!)
Depending on sim, 20-40 hrs on sim sounds like a brilliant introduction to flying the real thing, just remember to add wind with gusts to make it a little more intresting!

SkunkyMagoo
06-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Hmmm....I dont really have any advice as to the actual heli...

But 20 hours on a sim is nothing...I am about to reach 150 hours of heli time on G4 and I am just now about to buy my first heli.

A few settings in the sim to make it more life like are to remove all expo on the heli you are flying as well as 50% gust, 20% variation, 20% turbulence, 10-15mph winds, 125% physics.

Using the stock settings on a sim will do nothing but make you over confident IMO, I can hover inverted at 100% physics no wind and such with my eyes closed.

tonhe
06-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Unrealistic abilities is one of the complaints I've heard about about G4, I've been using Phoenix, but I'm sure it has some unrealistic characteristics...

SkunkyMagoo
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Most of the people saying that have probably done nothing to adjust the physics settings or transmitter settings to reflect a real life situation. Still good practice either way on any sim.

HeliG
06-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Unrealistic abilities is one of the complaints I've heard about about G4, I've been using Phoenix, but I'm sure it has some unrealistic characteristics...

I would have to disagree. I've downloaded the T-rex 450SE V2 for my G4 and I find it to be very realistic. I don't crash as often in G4 but that is because of the lack of "pucker factor" involved.

tonhe
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
not to get too far off the current topic of sims, but, I actually spooled my bird up last night, just to see what she'd do when she got off the ground. Seems like I've got some trimming to do..... I was too nervous to actually get her up in the air. I just wanted to do a couple of 3 foot hops which all went rather well.... I definatly need to remember when I'm in the sim to remove the status bar that tells me my rotational speed and pitch.. I got kinda dependant on that when I was descending and found when I was doing the hops to be throttling down too fast.... yeah, i'm a roookie :)

-Tony

Grimsleeper
06-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I would suggest checking all the links on your heli tonhe. My second hand Belt dropped out of the sky the other day. Luckily it did not crash.
I also have to fly with training gear at home as the ground is not level enough, that also cushioned the impact.

I checked it over and the fly bar link kept popping out. :eek:

I checked all the other links and found several that popped out way too easy . Had them replaced since . Flies like a charm. :cool: